The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More possibilities for lap steel than pedal steel?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 7:37 am    

Seems to be more opportunities for lap steel players in my area than pedal steel. Also, a wider variety of musical situations available. A bonus is sinse you are not carrying a steel guitar and the gear, it's user friendly to transport a lap steel and small amp.

I sat in the other night with my Ric model B, Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket amp that is 20 watts with a 10 inch speaker and brought my Tele to double on guitar. Both instruments sounded very nice. Was also able to sit on a chair and be comfortable.

I still love the pedal steel but maybe a new opportunity to sit in without being labor intensive.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 12:20 pm    

If I'm booked for a regular guitar gig, I'll usually take along my 6 string lap steel too and, more often than not, use it on a couple of songs. This has often led to getting subsequent bookings as a steel player, either with the band I was playing with or someone in the audience from another band. My 6 stringer is the first lap steel I ever bought and has paid for itself many times over.

Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 12:57 pm    

When I was primarily playing standard guitar on gigs years ago, I also toted an old Fender cable style double neck pedal steel (really heavy) which I played as a "second" instrument. I eventually got REAL tired with the extra carrying, setting up, taking down, etc. of the pedal steel. I switched to a Rickenbacker bakelite six-string lap steel and our audiences never knew the difference...I never sensed any change in the appreciation of the steel guitar sound that was introduced into some (not all) of the tunes we played, including the instrumentals that I had played on the pedal steel and was now playing on the lap steel in C6th.

I think to many listeners, especially non-musicians, a steel guitar is a steel guitar, period. And that's lucky for some of us tired players!

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 1:56 pm     straight steel guitar

Just my lowly opinion, all pedal steels sound the same to me, since the canned commercial sound of the early to late '60's. Let's face it, Tom Brumley with Buck Owens, LLoyd Green with Country Charlie Pride, Buddy Emmons with "Little" Jimmy Dickens started the whole she bang with the pedal steel craze, especially with me and no doubt thousands of others that had been fans of Jerry Byrd, Don Helms, Jimmy Day etc. prior to the "standard" pedal tuning. Remember, this is my own opinion and not trying for an argument. I find myself looking for and watching older straight steel players on videos from yesterday and today, trying to figure out how they do it and what tunings they use. Jay Y.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 2:46 am    

I started with 6 string C6 lap, then "graduated" to E9 pedal.
I sold the pedal steel after 4 years because my shoulder couldn't handle it.
I have since changed my lap to E6, and bought a dobro and changed it to D6.
My playing has improved immensely over the pedal steel, and my enjoyment is far greater.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!