The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How is your record collection organized?
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 6:12 am    

How is your record collection organized?
From left to right and then down it starts with the Beatles a few of their solo albums, then come other British bands.
The American section starts off with the Byrds...
I'm sixty-two and have been buying records since I was thirteen.
Let's have a little fun in this sad world. Smile

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 6:47 am    

First,divided by genres.Then,from left to right,artist's name alphabetically.
It's fairly easy for me;I only have Bluegrass,Country(classic traditional),Big Band,Ragtime,and instrumentals,except steel guitar.They are all by themselves.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 6:59 am    

Andy, my admittedably small Country section is organized by styles like Wynn Stewart records sitting close to Buck Owens, and Conway sitting a few inches apart. Not alphabetical.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 7:48 am    

Record collection? Laughing

Yeah, I've still got one but it's currently in storage. Just two alphabetical sections: Instrumental music (mostly jazz) and Everything Else.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 7:56 am    

No Terry Reid, Left Banke, Nick Lowe, Bill?

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 8:13 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
No Terry Reid, Left Banke, Nick Lowe, Bill?

Yeah, it's in the "Everything Else" category, alphabetized by band name or last name of the artist. Although I made a few quirky exceptions like Van Morrison being in the V's instead of M. Just worked better for me for some reason.

I remember the Left Banke, good band but don't think I have any albums, think I have some Nick Lowe, I'll have to check out Terry Reid.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 8:30 am    

Left to right, alphabetical by artist or group, regardless of type of music. Of course there's no perfect system...if you were looking for a particular guitarist you would have to know the names of all of the groups he played with (i.e. Eric Clapton, Cream, Yardbirds, Blind Faith, John Mayall's Blues Breakers, Derek and the Dominos, etc). I keep pedal steel instrumental recordings or recordings with lots of steel on them separately (and alphabetical).

I had a roommate in the service who was more organized than me...I think his records were alphabetical by artist and then alphabetized by album title within that category. He would flip out if I borrowed an album and "mis-filed" it when I returned it. I had a few friends over one nite and as the beers went by we decided to leave him a surprise for when he got back from deployment. We left all of the album jackets in perfect order - just swapped around a lot of the albums that were inside the jackets. He got upset with us and moved out soon after he got back. Smile

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 8:53 am    

I organize mine in mp3 files......... Confused
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 9:03 am    

Quote:
I remember the Left Banke, good band but don't think I have any albums

I had their first album "Pretty Ballerina" and "Left Banke Too". Wish I still had them.

Quote:
Eric Clapton, Cream, Yardbirds, Blind Faith, John Mayall's Blues Breakers, Derek and the Dominos, etc)

He comes right after the Beatles (with the Stones inbetween) because he played on "Still My Guitar...)

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 9:14 am     Re: How is your record collection organized?

Joachim Kettner wrote:
How is your record collection organized

The ones I listen to most toward the front, the ones I listen to least toward the back. Sad

Organization seems like a good idea for the future though. Oh Well

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 9:40 am    

Great subject Joachim. 60's- 70's rock alphabetized left to right. That section starts basicaly British invasion time when I started buying albums. After that section is 50's early 60's alpha. Still bought some albums in the 80's, they have there own section not alphabetized.Country is in the closet alphabetized. Jazz/big band there own section in closet, misc stuff that I don't know where to put, in the closet.Some albums I got rid of 30- 40 yrs ago I have repurchase on cd. One being a Terry Reid album I always regretted getting rid of, the one with him on the cover holding his SG, his voice is a bit grating but great music.

Last edited by Will Houston on 24 Jul 2016 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 9:56 am    

We still have over 500 albums. They're arranged alphabetically by the artist, thanks to my wife.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 10:46 am    

i have thousands. only the guitar players are on separate shelves in alphabetical order. the rest...just on shelves.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 1:08 pm    

organized?!? Laughing

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 2:36 pm    

All of my favorite of 7000+ records converted to MP3 files and tagged for easy searching on any computer and most other players. Hardly used anymore since I got Apple Music everywhere for $10 a month. The lastest Darryl Singletary release they just posted more than paid for this months fees!

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 24 Jul 2016 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 5:22 pm    

I admire Greg Cutshaw's set-up. How long did that take you?

I have a minuscule record collection Greg, by comparison. My collection is filed A-Z by performer Still, it used to take me ages to search out a number to listen to and/or practice to, when all I had was shelves of some hundreds of LPs, CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes and cassettes to fossick through.

Some years ago I hit on the idea of notating my collection on a spreadsheet, song-by-song. It's a work in progress and is fairly time consuming, but I'm pushing onwards and upwards.

I have two files, one for jazz (7800 entries) and a much more recent file for ''music from the south'' (as I call it). It's largely western swing, but it also contains listings of any ''string'' band - so to speak and has a measley 1500 entries so far.

For my benefit, I include for all entries, title/key/name of steel player/album title, rec date and the location (on my shelf) of the LP/CD or whatever medium.

My ''jazz'' listings include the name of the clarinet player (my principal instrument) and the drummer (a former instrument).

I find it incredibly useful. For instance, in my my ''jazz'' file, I can look up all the versions of any tune I have in the collection and go to a version that I fancy. For example I have 17 versions of ''Bill Bailey'' and 20 versions of ''Wolverine Blues''. I have but one version of "I Get Ideas", but at least I know where to go to find that version.

There's a heap of stuff on Youtube as we know, however I won't go so far as including those versions on my spreadsheets.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 10:17 am    

As with Greg, I too have most of my music on External hard drives.
One has 137GB of MP3
55,020 files
2250 folders

11.7GB of Steel guitar
4,106 files

They are divided by genre and alphabetized by artist
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 1:05 pm    

Alphabetical by artist. But since a move two places back that I lived in, they are just shoved in two boxes.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 2:45 pm    

On random shuffle Smile

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 12:33 am    

when I had LP's probably a few thousand, they were in alphabetical order. BUT...like many others here , many LP'S were replaced by CD's and everything was converted to MP3's and live on an external drive and are backed up on a 2nd ext drive. I sold 90% of the LP's and kept the ones I deemed worthy. Still have those.

Then for the last decade or more I have been an active subscriber of Rhapsody at $10/mth. Best $10/mth I could ever spend. Seems I use it daily...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 10:51 am    

I have my own special system of "Who Played With Whom".
I've recently purchased the vinyl record "War of The Worlds" by Jeff Wayne, and because there's the singer of the Moody Blues on it, I've shelved it right behind the Moodies.
Not good for an outsider to find something, but good for me.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 6:32 pm    

Post-nuclear.

=================

And to Greg C.:

How many favorites of the 7000+? I look at the first hundred of my several thousand and just throw up my hands in despair at the time required. I started during a recent stretch of disability and flamed out (transferring's easy; editing songs and albums, making wavs or mp3s is tedium squared). I should have started when I was six. There were more fun things to do then, though.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 4:16 am    

Joachim, my collection had that sort of 'relative' system; The Flock beside Mahavishnu Orchestra because Jerry Goodman played violin for both.

Now, it's organized poorly.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 8:44 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
All of my favorite of 7000+ records converted to MP3 files and tagged for easy searching on any computer and most other players. Hardly used anymore since I got Apple Music everywhere for $10 a month. The lastest Darryl Singletary release they just posted more than paid for this months fees!

Do you still have those tousands of records Greg?

Will if you read this, that Terry Reid record is "Rogue Waves" with Doug Rodriguez on guitar.

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 9:27 am    

Joachim, the album I was refering to was from 1969 Titled just "Terry Reid" with Superlungs my Supergirl, Rich Kid Blues, July a soft slow acoustic number.. good stuff.