The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 400 settings
Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 8:58 am    

I know this has been asked before but I just got a Nashville 400 with the Ken Fox mod added and wondered what a rough setting would be for the controls...interested in sustain in general but would like to hear all suggestions!!
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 9:29 am    

Here's Peavey's suggestions.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 9:46 am    

Thanks...has the post up a lot higher than I was running..will give it a listen
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 10:23 am    

I've never run post anywhere but dimed

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 10:31 am    

The Peavey suggested E9th is close to what I used, when I had a Nashville 400 (with factory installed tone mod).

Pre 4
Post 6
Low +9
Mid -2 to -3
Shift 800Hz
High and Presence +1
Reverb 4

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 11:50 am    

OK...want to add I'm using a GFI Steel...I've increased my post from 3-4 to 6 and cranked up my low to 8-9...starting to like what I'm hearing..really helped my bottom end and the post is helping my sustain..thanks for the replies and hope I get a few more

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 12:44 pm    

6 is still not dimed. TURN IT UP.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 1:14 pm     NV400 Settings

We're calling this the Ohio Settings. Jeff Wilson and my bud Greg from Troy, worked them out for some of us Ohio hackers. Maybe a place to start... Used with a Zoom MS-50G multi effects for reverb and delay!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 1:37 pm    

I like those settings, Dick, although I still say post should be maxed. Turn the pre down to somewhere between 2 and three, if need be.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 2:05 pm    

Gotta agree with Lane. Turn post all the way up. Occasionally I back it off to about 8. There's a reason for doing it, but I have no idea why.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 3:18 pm     post

Lane...I will give that a shot..with the post up all the way or most all the way a little later..I'm steeled out right now....appreciating all the comments

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 5:30 pm     Pre and Post Gain?

Lane you and Richard are absolutely correct. The picture was taken to show EQ Settings. I too normally run Pre Gain, only as high as required and Post Gain, not at, but near max. Usually 9 or above. Sorry for any confusion...

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 5:30 am    

FWIW...I read somewhere that when you get it dialed in where you play the most, pull the knobs off and reinstall back at zero, then adjust accordingly for other places, when you play at your regular place...turn these knobs to zero for your most used settings.

BF

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 7:45 am    

Symmetry is the best approach to tonality

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 11:34 am     Settings

Ok..after considering all the reply's thus far here is where I am....using Lanes post suggestion running it at 8-9..I'm in my small music room so don't need the pre past 2..loaded up on the lows..mids about minus 6..highs straight up...shift 800..presence plus 3-6..reverb 3... playing with the post up high gave me good sustain across the whole guitar..this GFI really sings on the high end even with the high control just set at "0" to minus 3....Thanks everyone for their opinions.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 1:07 pm     Settings

You could als try. Presence 7/treble 7 or 8/ mid 4 / bass 10 / shift wide open /..ill use shift on 800 most of the time depending on the room..thats a setup from Buddy that i found from a Steel Guitarist interview from 79. Hope that helps.It still comes down to your personal preference. Good luck

Greg Townsend

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 11:52 pm     Nashville 400 settings

New to the forum, and just had a NV 400 silver corners delivered today, cost me $300 AUD (Australian) playing a Zum Encore with HB pickup, already maxin' the post, cheers guys.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 8:58 am    

Been using Peavey's settings taken from their manual for years now. I tried Dick Sexton's setting with the pre & post setting 4&7.

I liked what I heard from my D-10 Zum + Boss DD-3.

I'll be trying Stuart's in a few days.

KEN

Greg Townsend

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 3:27 pm     Boss DD3

Any comments on settings for a Boss DD-3 or other Boss delay pedal?

Greg

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 8:17 am    

In 2000, I purchased an Emmons S-10 and along with the deal came a Nashville 400. This one was a bit special though having been used at a Christmas party put on by DeWitt Scott in St. Louis, early 90s. The amp was used by many steel players present including Buddy Emmons! It turns out that the amp was a big hit at the party and several wanted to purchase it afterwards. I'm not sure how the person who sold it to me got it, but it came with a letter from DeWitt acknowledging it's authenticity of being used at this party along with a sketch of the settings Buddy used!

So, here they are from left to right:

Gain (Pre) - between 6 & 7
Gain (post) - between 6 & 7
EQ Low - 9
EQ Mid - between 0 and 3
EQ Shift - 800
EQ High - -12!
Presence - 6
Reverb - 4-5

I will say that I've used these settings on my D10 Emmons and they don't quite make it for me, but who knows what he was playing that night and what pickups.... I play through my Twin Reverb almost always these days.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!