The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel beginner asks for small amp model suggestions
Michael Foley

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 2:44 pm    

First let me say how grateful I am to be a member of the Steel Guitar Forum because there are so many great guys who generously share what you know about the instruments and equipment. I am starting my search for a beginner level pedal steel guitar and amplifier.
As far as a pedal steel, I will have to find a used one due to the lower price (probably six-sring due to the ease with which they can be played by a beginner and also lighter to lug around.)it sounds like there are many fine ones to look for.
In my reading the Steel Forum posts it seems that I can't go wrong with a used Peavey amp since there are those that were made for the pedal steel.
I would appreciate any suggestions while I'm looking for one Craigslist and other places. I have heard mentioned the Nashville, Bandit, Encore, Special and Sessions amps.
I will start out playing in my home, in a very small room,then eventually with a few fellas who enjoy playing, probably in someone's home or maybe a med/large meeting room. Also I am not a young man anymore so the carrying weight is a concern (that's another reason I only need a small amp. I would like an amp which has clear low and high string sounds. Hope this gives some idea of my needs.
Thanks.

Last edited by Michael Foley on 24 Jul 2016 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 3:49 pm    

Get a used Peavey Bandit or Bandit 65 in a good PLAYABLE condition will work. Usually can get one for under $100.

I had one that I put a JBL D120 in for my pedal steel -
Worked fine.

Thanx,
Jim

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 5:10 pm    

While it's true that there are 6 string pedal steel guitars available, IMHO you would be better off with a 10 string, with 3 pedals and 4 or 5 knee levers.

The general consensus around here is that the best entry level steel is the Zum Stage One. These guitars are more than just student models. If you search through this forum, you will find universal praise for them.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever complained about them or said they didn't like them.

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 7:43 pm    

You can just fit a 15" speaker in a Bandit. Makes it a good amp. Not too heavy.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 7:58 pm    

The older, original BANDIT came with a 12" Scorpion speaker, which will work on your six-string pedal steel.

Thanx,
Jim

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 10:28 pm    

Get 10 strings (or 20) and plug into any amp you have or can find. Worry about a "suitable" amp when you plan to play somewhere other than your living room.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 11:18 pm    

A few years ago I bought a Washburn "Bad Dog" model amp and have really liked it. They are usually well under 100 dollars. Its also not too heavy.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 1:06 am    

A 6-string (or, for that matter, a 10-string E9th single neck) steel guitar does not need a 15" speaker.

Jonah Turner

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 4:28 am    

I got my first amp at my local music store, a Fender Champion 20 for right around $100 dollars, and it is very very small but sounds fine to me for playing in my house. I performed with it once and it could carry it's weight in a large room, but obviously didn't do as well as a Peavey or a larger amp would.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 11:06 am     Peavey Bandit for sale.

I have a Peavey Bandit 112 for sale, with Pedal. It is like new. The listing has some information.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ele/5700155362.html

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 5:00 am    

A Roland 80XL would be my choice for a relatively inexpensive, good sounding amp. There's one for sale on this forum.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 5:14 am    

Mike -
Get a 10 string to - even if it's a Maverick.
Don't do the 6 string thing because it's "easier".
Cheers!

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 7:14 pm    

Mike P. you are hijacking the thread again. The OP is asking about an amp not about your recommendation for guitars. b0b he's off his leash again...

Now to address Michael Foley's question...If you are playing a 6 string you really don't need a 15" speaker because your strings will not be lower than on the typical telecaster. So you can get away with a small guitar amp. I am partial to the sound of the fender tone stack. I like Fender champion and roland cube because they have headphone jack and good blackface models and come in a range of sizes and prices. I have also heard good reports about peavey bandits recently on the forum. I had one way back but never when I played steel.

If you intend to eventually play a 10 string, some people would say you should just buy a peavey n112 now, or some other such steel amp. It's up to you. OTOH I've seen where some very good steelers on here have used small $50 amps for home practice and said they were great for that purpose. I personally don't believe in owning any more than what you need today. Letting equipment go obselete without ever being fully utilized makes no sense to me. (Obviously that won't apply to vintage equipment.)

Michael Foley, please excuse Mike P. he has a history of bashing 6 string guitars that goes back a decade or so. I own a couple of 6 stringers. My main guitar is a 3x4 Lonestar Lite. I play all kinds of classic country on it, as do many others--even though someone in this thread told me I can't play country with less than 10 strings.

Here are two threads about 6 string guitars that I recommend you read. Then you will know the arguments for and against as well as know the people who are making these recommendations a little better.

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/012074.html

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=297932&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Last edited by Dave Dube on 26 Jul 2016 9:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

Stephen Williams

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 7:31 pm    

Re a pSG does not need a 15" speaker.

yes you can play the PSG through a portable amp with 4" spkrs and it will sound awful. You can play through a Bandit but some of the spkrs were 12" early made-in-China-a-while-ago and do not sound so great. Putting a 15" speaker in the Bandit made it a phenomenally better amp for PSG and i think is a great affordable solution.

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 9:51 pm    

Here are a couple recent links discussing peavey bandits. Some of you may not know but the late Chris Ivey had been using one. Check to see what he had to say about them...I like to remember him like this:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=297834&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bandit&start=25

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=299945&highlight=bandit

good form Chris. You may be gone but you are still helping folks.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 7:16 am    

To continue to stray off topic...

On one hand, yes, a 10 string is a better investment. You are less likely to outgrow a 10 string, even a student model. You may find yourself limited by a 6. You also may not find much in terms of learning material for a 6 string. Lots of 10 string E9 videos & books.

On the OTHER hand...play whatever guitar you like, man, especially if you are blazing your own trail. Reduce the learning curve, get going quicker. Maybe a 6 string psg is just the ticket for you. None of us can answer that for you. We don't all have to be traditionalists.

As mentioned, Cubes are popular here, and readily available new or used. Lots of Peaveys pop up here in the classifieds area too. If you are going tube, you'll likely need more than 20 watts, unless you are staying at bedroom levels or don't mind the overdrive. Some players like their tone squeaking clean, some players like dirt, some (like me) like to skate on the edge of breakup.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 7:29 am    

What Chris Walke said…

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 7:35 am    

Concerning learning materials for a six, if using e9 tuning, most of what you see in the tab section will be usable, though you may have to skip hitting a bass note in a pair once in a while and may need to use your c pedal or move your bar to get high F# (same with e lever for Eb). The occasional bass run is a drag. You won't be able to do unison licks. You will have to improvise for those things. That's making music. For me, I'd rather be able to improvise than always follow tab.

Seriously this is not such a big deal unless you want to cover everything you hear exactly. Even with a standard 10 string you will need to make adaptations to some tabs.

The real traditionalists play 8 string fenders with no knee levers like Tom Brumley and all the others did way back when. Maybe a 6 is closer to that. Smile

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 10:53 am    

Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2 Pedal Steel Guitar Demos are here !!!
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=298919&highlight=
It might be a bit too expensive,but I guess it's worth it !

Last edited by John Sluszny on 30 Jul 2016 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 4:42 am    

Check out Quilter Amps.

I don't have one, but I've recently become aware of them and they seem like a good option.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 4:54 am    

I use a Fender Super Champ XD for practice and jams. It's a modeling amp with effects and tubes...weighs about 25 lbs. It's very light and portable and gets the job done, so long as your not competing with really loud players. It doesn't produce a terrible amount of bass(like many think is a necessity), but I got by with it in many rehearsals/jam sessions? Mine only has a 10" speaker and 25 watts, but it's been a pretty good grab-n-go amp!

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 10:52 am    

Edward Rhea wrote:
I use a Fender Super Champ XD for practice and jams. It's a modeling amp with effects and tubes...weighs about 25 lbs. It's very light and portable and gets the job done, so long as your not competing with really loud players. It doesn't produce a terrible amount of bass(like many think is a necessity), but I got by with it in many rehearsals/jam sessions? Mine only has a 10" speaker and 25 watts, but it's been a pretty good grab-n-go amp!

I was able to use an SCXD with steel, but it may be limited to rehearsal and quiet bands. I tried a Super Champ X2 and traded it in on a guitar. Add speaker ( I have a Marshall 2X12 ) and it'll pull a gig on armit guitar - but be careful with power and heat.

This may be getting away from the OP's size preference, but Fender solid state amps are always sleeper deals so long as you don't overload them badly. I used a Fender Performer 650 into a Marshall 2X12 for steel for a long time - just not at gigs. Generally, the smaller the Fender SS amps are, the worse the speaker(s).

Stephen Williams

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 9:32 pm    

Another option if you have a Speaker Cab is to get one of the new lightweight Class D Bass Amp heads. Quilter makes one plus a ton of others. power is 200 to 500 watts and they weigh a coupla pounds.
I will be getting something like this in the future.

Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 8:13 am    

I have used a peavey bandit for a practice amp and they work ok....I am playing a Roland cube as my regular amp. With the closed back cab they do a pretty good job on pedal steel.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 10:53 pm    

Just another vote for NOT. A Peavey amp. Not sure if you played guitar before but if you have chances are your guitar amp will work just fine. Sorry everyone just has to say something about PV amps so I'm just trying to be the voice on the other side of the aisle saying that those amps are awful.

That said for a beginning amp in your living room or bedroom almost anything will do. Get something with some reverb.

Granted I am a touch sensitive as I keep on showing up to sessions or gigs with backline and people are all excited because they have got me a PV the amp because that's what steel players love! And I'm trying to dissuade that notion.

My suggestion would be to get a used Fender tube amp or Fender amp of any sort. But at this point anything with reverb will do.

Now everyone will rip me apart saying how PV amps are great. And that's fine and their opinion. Just trying to voice the other side of the coin for those thank those amplifiers are horrific