The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour - Chord-Melodies
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 9:23 am    

I never had the opportunity to meet Bobbe Seymour, but he seemed like a caring, genuine, and funny guy. I have really enjoyed his online presence, and his YouTube videos have made an impact on my playing.

More specifically, his C6 videos about playing unaccompanied using chords and melody at the same time, have interested me. His technique for "patting" the bass/chords with your thumb is intuitive and thoughtful.

I wrote an article about this technique, and how Bobbe influenced me to try it. I also recorded some improvised examples or samples of the technique. Check it out here:
http://playpedalsteel.com/playing-basschords-and-melody-at-the-same-time-flying-solo/

Let me know what you think. Also, how has Bobbe influenced you as a steel player over the years? I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts about him...I know I'm not the only one that he made an impact on!

Casey Cool

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 12:37 pm    

I appreciate everyone viewing this topic, and checking out the article about this technique. Winking

I'm curious though, does anyone else play/practice using the thumb to play bass patterns, or to keep a steady rhythm going for solo steel?

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 12:50 pm    

I'm also a big fan of thumb style or Travis picking. Bobbe was a master. There are others - Joel Paterson comes to mind. I've been trying to learn and can pull it off in a very limited way, but it's tough. I tried to find someone that would teach me, but couldn't. There's some stuff on YouTube for Travis picking on six string, much of which translates to steel. I would use the terms thumb style or Travis picking and you'll probably get good search results. Good luck!

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 3:14 am    

Bobby Garrett! His album "Thumbs Up" is almost entirely in the Travis/Atkins picking style... even on an upbeat version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". Of all the steel players I've heard pick that way, so far he was the best at it.

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 5:18 am    

Best advice Bobbie ever gave me was,
now get out there and make some money!

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 6:24 pm    

Thanks for the advice regarding this technique (thumb style, or Travis/Atkins picking Cool ) and some players to check out. Will definitely seek out listening to Joel Paterson and Bobby Garrett, excited to hear them.

I first discovered this technique, from a listener's perspective, when I saw Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon at a show in Asheville, NC when I was 18 yrs old. I remember Leo's playing being very lively, bubbly, and driving -- probably a lot due to playing this technique/style in a talented, effective way.

John Fahey is another fingerstyle icon that comes to mind, and probably falls under this category of playing on six-string. I've definitely enjoyed listening to some of his material.

Bobbe was a master for sure. He's the one that gave me the idea of translating it to pedal steel and the C6 tuning. I didn't even know it was physically possible on pedal steel until I saw his Youtube videos, blew my mind! Laughing