The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Blade
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 4:05 am    

In Reno in the early 80's (I think) Buddy and Scotty came and put on a West Coast show featuring Buddy, Erine Hager, Bobby Black, Buzz Evans, JD, etc.

Buddy might have been playing the Blade. I walked up and "tried" to push the pedals with my hand, I almost couldn't. I thought wow why would he play a guitar that stiff.

During one oh his sets he had a problem getting a signal, 30 minutes later he found out that it was the neck seclector switch that had fallen down into the guitar. I thought why would he play a guitar that was so unreliable.

But then he played, and he played, and he played. I can not find enough words to describe how he played.

Just a couple of thoughts on my part. It was not the guitar in it's unstable condition it was the man. I would not have bought that guitar for any amount of money even though it was the blade. This is related to the Bobby and Buddy thread.

Larry Behm

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 4:21 am    

Great story, Larry. But one question for you: would you buy it today?

Jerry Clardy

El Paso, Texas, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 7:59 am    

Buy The Blade? Let's see...a legendary instrument used by a legend. I believe I'd like a shot at it if I never played it at all. Utility aside, Buddy's guitars have intrinsic value just because they were his. e.g., look at the prices of Eric Clapton's guitars in auctions. Also, Johnny Cash's and Chet Atkins'. Why would this be different?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 8:12 am    

Jerry, Buddy's fans number in the tens of thousands, while the others you mentioned (Clapton, Cash, and Atkins) number 'way up in the millions! That would be a reason that one of Buddy's guitars (or any steel guitar, for that matter) would probably never see a 6-digit selling price.

Big demand, not being "one-of-a-kind", is what makes big prices in the collectibles market.

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 8:23 am    

I don't know, Don. I think Buddy can break the tens of thousands mark. He's played in pop, rock, classical settings, as well as setting the example for country PSG as we know it and has done it for generations. I believe he is a recognized authority by many more than the country PSG players. I think he could arguably be one of the most influential musicians of our time as far as PSG goes. Who is more recognized? Are you just trying to get The Blade cheap?

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 8:54 am    

Boys, in the first place, Buddy could get tone out of a gourd.

Secondly, there probably isn't any guitar he couldn't play...but would he want to?

I don't think Buddy would play "any" guitar he could not get tone from and express himself musically the way he would want to.

Remember, this is a man who has the option of playing any guitar he wants due to who he is and his accomplishments. The guitar he plays is by choice.

Food for thought: If Buddy was playing it, there was a reason for it.
Think about it!

Now, this matter is over as far as I'm concerned.

Dave

Ron !

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 8:59 am    

Dave.

I have got an almost done lefthanded steel.Let's give it a try.

Ron

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 9:00 am    

There are HUGE orders of magnitude difference between fans of Clapton vs. fans of Emmons. Like Donny said, it's MILLIONS vs. thousands (at best). And because of that, the market for Clapton's guitars are extremely wealthy collectors, while the market for he Blade is not-wealthy steel-players. That's why Clapton's most famous guitars (black Strat, ES-335) recently sold at auction for close to a MILLION dollars apiece, while the Blade might bring $10,000, and even that is questionable.

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 9:19 am    

Jeff - My point is that Buddy's ownership and use of the guitar on meaningful sessions makes the guitar worth more. This is proven by saying this guitar would be worth more than one just like it that wasn't. I think you'll agree, as evidenced by your statement of ~10000, that the guitar is worth more just because Buddy owned it and used it on historical sessions. The amount as compared to a more popular legend is not important. I, for one, at an auction, would pay more for a guitar of Buddy's than any other steel player I can think of. Am I alone in this?

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 4:08 pm    

Jim no I would not buy it, it is Buddy not the Blade that makes the difference. I had a PP that was 10 invoice numbers away from the Blade, I sold it. I had a friend that had a PP the he was told was once owned by Buddy, he sold it. I have another Rosewood PP now, older than the Blade, oh Buddy would sound just great on THIS one.

Mike Cass told Bob Bender not to sell this PP, he did, I am now the owner. I am done buying steels.

Larry Behm

[This message was edited by Larry Behm on 23 September 2004 at 10:58 PM.]

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 5:00 pm    

I think Buddy said himslef once that he always got the worst steels from Emmons company.The one they couldn`t sell.But I may be wrong...

Db

------------------

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 5:16 pm    

OK, Larry. At least you're consistent! LOL!

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2004 5:46 am    

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2004 9:27 am    

What is the S/N # of the Blade?
Was it Black or Rosewood?

I have a Rosewood D-10 S/N 1153-D
( Not for Sale )

Larry

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2004 7:32 pm    

I would expect the blade to have a decal not the plastic plate.

Larry Behm

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 6:25 am    

Now I AM confused! Which guitar is pictured on the Black Album's cover? That one does have a stick-on decal. I always assumed that this was the Blade.

I suppose it's possible that it was up-graded - the 'wood-grain' effect does look similar on the album to the picture that Ernie posted.

RR

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 11:22 am    

Thanks Ernie.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 3:33 pm    

I might be mistaken, but I thought the one Ernie is showing might be the guitar that Buddy told me he once sold and Peggy bought it back for him.

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - 1975 Session 400

[This message was edited by rpetersen on 23 September 2004 at 04:34 PM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 4:06 pm    

Could have just been a bad maintainance day before a long road trip.

And the switch was what made the pedal so stiff, sticking on something underneth.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 26 September 2004 at 01:31 PM.]

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 6:52 pm    

Roger, the Black album guitar (the Blade) and the guitar in the above picture are the same and it has a rosewood Formica finish. I’ve had it for thirty six years and it still honks. Time took its toll on the decal so in one of my weaker moments I mounted the plastic plate on it. I have since replaced it with a small white sticker that has a drawing of a razor blade.

I did sell it in California. I was playing bass for Roger Miller and thought I wouldn’t play steel any more. When I realized I had made a mistake Peggy called the man who purchased it and he was nice enough to let us buy it back. The day it was back home I gave the guitar to Peggy knowing she would never sell it. It worked and she was very good about letting me play it for the next fifteen years.

As for history, outside of Nashville, it has done its thing on recordings with Judy Collins, Ray Charles, John Phillips, John Sebastian, Henry Mancini, the Carpenters, and a host of other L.A. artists (even Tiny Tim) in the late sixties and early seventies. I wouldn’t be ashamed to take it anywhere.

[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 23 September 2004 at 07:53 PM.]

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 8:07 pm    

Thanks, Buddy!

I'm happy to know that the Blade is right where it belongs....

RR

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 9:55 pm    

Buddy the reason you have Black Bart and Brown Bart is to "save" the blade?

Have you ever owned another guitar that cuts like the Blade?

Larry Behm

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2004 5:34 am    

Larry,
No, I’ve never thought of saving the Blade it in that way. It’s one of the very few things of sentimental value to me, and although Mike Cass cleaned it up for me, it would have meant as much and played as well had it stayed in its prior condition.

The Blade may have a slight edge over the Bart brothers sound wise, but there are the advantages and disadvantages of each that have to be weighed in choosing the best guitar for my use. With the exception of a few friends I record with I’m no longer in the session end of the business; but I still like to experiment with tunings and pedal changes, and that’s where the Legrandes get the nod.

My new JCH has a different E9 setup than I’ve ever used thanks to being able to change the all pull systems so easily. I just found a better choice of knee lever positions to make what I have work better, so I’ll have it back on the bench in the next few days.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2004 8:02 am    

OK Buddy I will ask it before someone else does, WHAT NEW CHANGES AND POSITIONS. OK I said it. You are next.

Larry Behm

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2004 10:05 am    

Buddy ,
What is the S/N # of the Blade?
I have a 67 PP D-10 Rosewood #1153-D
Larry