The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did Jerry Byrd play PSG too ??
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 7:24 am    

Credits on Hank Snow's 1962 LP Big Country Songs show Mr. Byrd on steel guitar. The steel in the songs is clearly a PSG.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 7:29 am    

JB could probably do anything on a non-pedal that could be done on a PSG,,,,LOL

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 7:47 am    

All the songs are on YouTube and do appear to have west coast style of pedal steel guitar. All Music credits do not list a steel guitar player neither does the album cover or back as far as I can tell.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 8:15 am    

I don't know for sure, but I've always heard that Jerry despised the pedal guitar. Probably Ray Montee or others more familiar with his history can supply the correct info.

I know at one time, he played a no pedal Sho-Bud, but I'm not aware of a time when he ever would have played pedal steel.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 8:28 am    

Agreed, Jerry thought that pedals were a gimmick and he never switched over to pedal steel, as far as I know. In the early 70s he moved to Hawaii.

In 1964 Jerry recorded an album on E9 8-string non-pedal steel guitar (Admirable Byrd). One of his goals was to demonstrate that the new Nashville pedal steel sounds could be played on E9 non-pedal steel. It's possible that Jerry played that tuning on other sessions, trying to get a pedal steel sound.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 8:34 am    

If you pull up some YouTube videos of Jerry you will see him playing a Sho~Bud non-pedal guitar. It has a pheasant on the front.
At one time, Bobby Seymour was taking orders for a similar guitar and there is even a video on YouTube of him playing one.
I sent him a deposit for one. It was sposed to be delivered in about 6 weeks or 2 months and after it never showed up, I contacted him and insead of coming through with a guitar, he returned my deposit. Bless his heart. Very Happy

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 11:22 am    

Gary:

Are you referring to the LP Greg shows in the picture above? Also known as "Songs I Hadn't Recorded Till Now"-----RCA 2458.

What makes you think that is Jerry Byrd?

As far as I know, it's Howard White.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 11:46 am    

I don't think it's "Big Country Songs", it must be "Big Country Hits", 1961. You can hear the steel on this cut ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UYPCGS9gYM

Sounds like a pedal steel. The tone and attack don't sound anything like JB.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 12:26 pm     name the steeler...............

I believe Mitch is correct. It does sound a bit like Howard White.

Give a listen to "With This Ring I Thee Wed"........
Jerry's playing is so rich with little if any lifting or muting of the bar hand. Jerry always played a constant, flowing sound, no staccato or broken phrasing while playing.

Jerry told me he had no use for pedal steels nor the burlesquing that many players of the day were relying on.

Learn to identify Jerry Byrd's playing. You'll be a much better player in short order.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 2:20 pm    

Yes, Jerry played on Hank Snow's original recording of "With This Ring I Thee Wed" ----click---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giG1Od_UoII

Hank Snow recorded the song again, 1960 I believe, with a pedal steel player. That one is not as good as the earlier one IMO.

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 2:37 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giG1Od_UoII

Isn't this the 1950 version with Big Joe Talbot?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 2:55 pm    

That's the 50s version. I thought Jerry Byrd was the player, maybe not? whoever it is, he's good, and the recording sounds better than the later one with pedal steel.

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 3:48 pm    

I don't know if it's true, but certain online discographies say that the 1960 version of "With This Ring I Thee Wed" is in fact Byrd.

I have no idea if it's pedals or not.

There is only 1 post 1950 version of the song as far as I know---the 1960 version, originally released on Hank's "Souvenirs" album RCA 2285.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2016 7:20 pm    

JB played on this one without pedals and made it sound like pedals. 1960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR_op8Eha4E

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2016 8:17 pm    

In my view, Jerry Byrd carved his own nitch. I don't think anyone has ever matched his touch and tone and feel nor do I think any one ever will. He took the non-pedal steel to it's utopia. In his case, why even consider pedal steel. He was the MASTER at what he did with Steel Guitar I love pedal steel but Jerry Byrd is one of my foremost Heroes.

Jonathan Lam

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2016 7:19 pm    

I was told by his grand daughter that he believed "pedal steel was for pussies"

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2016 6:23 am    

Bless his heart. Rolling Eyes

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2016 8:38 am    

Quote:
...he believed "pedal steel was for pussies"

Jerry always spoke his mind! Cool

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2016 6:46 pm    

Even though Jerry wasn't a pedal guy, he really loved the steel guitar in all flavors. I used to send my albums to him in Hawaii, and he would write back these long complimentary letters with some thoughts about my playing (you should use your low strings more, etc.). He never faulted me in any way for playing pedal, and loved that I put the steel in other genres.

Joe

Jacques Gabelout

France
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 11:10 am     Great Jerry...

Great tribute to our Swiss friend Georges Chatagny who introduced us to the great Jerry Byrd. He returned several times to Honolulu for conventions and every time we brought one of his discs. He was also a member of the very active forum.
Nickie recorded some songs of his albums on our
tape and adapted them to his Multiharp ...
She always kept a great admiration for this very
Grand Master!

Jacques Gabelout

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 10:59 am    

The break on this one will put any psg player to woodshedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i779xHC4MMI

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 4:51 am    

Concerning pedals, I was repeating what I'd heard from others. Apologies if incorrect.

It was an absolute honor for me to meet Jerry in St. Louis one year. I got to speak with him for a short minute and he commented about us sharing the same first name. I don't recall what else as I was pretty much in awe of him and standing close enough to shake his hand.

I'd heard his music all my life without knowing who it was most of the time until later on, but the style, delivery and perfect execution always undeniable. One of the greatest steel guitar talents ever to touch one of the things.

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 2:26 pm     Jerry Byrd with a pedal guitar and Hank Snow.

I doubt it. Hank Snow was always one of my favorites. The only recordings I have of Hank with Jerry Byrd was
the album "Snow in Hawaii". I do have an old video featuring Jerry and Hank doing "MY Oahu Rose" that overwhelms me every time I watch it. Jerry playing his
Sho Bud Double 8 non pedal with sounds I've been after for a lifetime. See if'n you can find it out there, It may open your eyes as it did mine. Just my lowly experience over half a lifetime. Jay Y.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 3:35 pm    

Bill Ford wrote:
The break on this one will put any psg player to woodshedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i779xHC4MMI

Bill, I managed to click on it, but I will share my theory about this sort of thing - if you don't give folks a little background regarding the link you're sharing, in this age of information overload you will probably get about 10% of the readers of a thread to actually take the time to click on it.

So in that spirit Bill posted a link to Ferlin Husky doing The Waltz You Saved For Me. We have discussed this one maybe a couple times in the past on the forum. Jerry's break at 1:30 is one of my all-time favorites. Just exquisite steel guitar playing. When I have listened to it in the past I have thought that it might have been one that Lloyd Green enjoyed and he might have been influenced by.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 6:48 pm    

I doubt Jerry ever played a pedal guitar in any professional context. I would guess that he sat behind one informally once or twice out of curiosity. What he did was so perfect that pedals would have been superfluous.

and Mark, exquisite is the word for that steel break!

Last edited by Andy Volk on 28 Jul 2016 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total