The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Backing the singer
George Shute

Sidney, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 9:00 am    

Is there anything out there like Jeff Newman's Up From The Top for 6-8 string lap steel?

Thanks in advance George Shute

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 5:56 am     Backing on lap steel

Forum Instructions Has One for you>>CLICK<<
YouTube Channel

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 10:43 am     From where I'm sitting..............

For what it's worth........

I don't believe anyone can use a "back-up" instructional book to learn how to "back-up" a singer properly. Every song is different. Every song has its own phrasing, etc. MORE IMPORTANTLY! Backing up a vocalist is not like learning a few hot licks and inserting them into similar tunes. We've all done it...........no problem.

That is the primary reason I elected to share my vast Jerry Byrd collection of recording sessions so that each of you could take the opportunity to hear Jerry's masterful technique for backing up a wide assortment of singers, country, pop and/or Hawaiian. No two songs are the same. Even when Jerry backed-up several different artists
on the same tune, NONE of HIS BACK-up was EVER the same, just like his solo's.

For variety and a solid basis for playing back-up, I know of no better method to learn how it's done than to study Jerry's playing and then learn to apply those same techniques to a wide variety of tunes.

Until someone can suggest a better way of approaching this important subject, I'll stick to the method that worked well for me.

REMEMBER! It's all in the EARS!!!!

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 2:12 pm    

I agree with Ray, and will add: DO NOT play over the vocalist, and especially DO NOT play over a duet or trio that worked many hours to get 'that' vocal blend only to have it obliterated by a blast of a steel.

Play along with recordings and see what simple one note back-ups and then complicated turn arounds, etc. could sound good.

(I never got paid per note. But I could get fired if I played too many notes at the WRONG time.)

Thanx,
Jim

FYI, I recently heard two examples of very bad mixes where the steel was dominating the singer and the band with all of the 'fill-ins and continuous playing'. One was on the Grand Ol' Opry live radio show, another on a 'Tru Country show' on RFD -TV. Oh well, things happen even to the big guys!