The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone is in the hands
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:10 am    

As we rely very much on feedback via our ears while playing, we can end up in good - or not so good - circles based on what our entire sound-chains sound like to us when we're playing them. What comes where in these circles of causes and effects, doesn't make much of a difference for what others will get to hear.

Thus, I find it easy to conclude that: if I play like sh*t it will sound like sh*t and if it sounds like sh*t I will play like sh*t...

... and, I prefer to blame it on "human errors" no matter what the actual combinations of causes for the resulting "sh*it" may be Very Happy

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 10:15 pm    

Some tone adjustments can be made by picking position and attack, but the inherent tone of a guitar/amp rig its in the gear.

The hands can only manipulate things to a certain extent.

FAR too many players confuse "Tone" and "Style", saying things like "so and so sounds the same on any guitar"...which is bunk. The player's attack, picking position, vibrato, note voices etc etc may be the same on every instrument but the actual TONE will be different.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 9:51 am    

Mr. Sliff, nice to see you posting again but I'm not convinced that there is such a thing as "inherent tone" from instruments or instrument/amp combinations. Since instrumental sounds consist of transient fundamental and overtone combinations, and since those vary with volume, pitch and anything that might cause phase effects (such as vibrato), attack, volume, hand position etc have a tremendous amount to do with tone. An instrument or instrument/amp combinationn will respond well to a range of things a player might do and less well to others. If by "inherent tone" you mean that response / range relationship then I wouldn't disagree.

I also think it is hard to say what factors are more important - instrument / amp characteristics or player -- in producing 'tone'. It depends. A good player will be sensitive to the quirks of an instrument and work with them.

That said, I just got myself a Milkman Pedal Steel mini and it sounds glorious. One think I like about it is that I'm not fighting to get sounds I want at certain registers, they are just there.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 9:08 pm    

I'm 70. Started playing 5-string at Kent State coffee houses when I was in my teens. I can't tell you how many great guitar players have told me "I wish I had your right hand, "
Joe Walsh being one of them. I think the way you pick is very important, Is very individual, and can make a big difference.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 7:11 am    

well..my take, the tone that an instrument is capable of achieving is in your hands. Cool

If you have a Telecaster with dead strings I don't care how good your hands are, the tone that the instrument is capable of achieving ain't arriving !

It's up to us, hands , ears, style, awareness etc to bring the instrument to it's full potential, but the instrument has to be in a position to produce it's greatest sound.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 9:43 am    

It's almost two years now since I built my 12-string uni, a project which is documented elsewhere. I was delighted at how good it sounded, as I was quite prepared for disappointment. But I continue to be delighted as it sounds better all the time. Same amp, no particular brand of strings - the only thing that can possibly have improved is that feedback loop from the ears to the hands.