The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why is pop so hard on C6??
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2016 6:29 am    

What I found confusing at first on the C6 was that the same chord (i.e. the same pedals and bunch of strings) can serve more than one purpose and may not necessarily contain the root after which it's named.

For instance, if you play a C6 chord on strings 6,5,4,3 and then press P6, you get Cm6 which makes perfect sense. But then you are told that the same thing is an F7. What? Where's the F? And why is there a 9th in there that no-one mentioned? And so on.

But I've got used to it, accepting that the C6 is more intuitive and you can't account for every note as you can on the E9. I've never played lap steel but I suspect it might have helped.

Robbie Daniels

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2016 8:36 am    

Steelers will probably understand C6 better, but not completely, when you have been picking C6 for over 60 years. Just enjoy it and learn it.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2016 8:54 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
What I found confusing at first on the C6 was that the same chord (i.e. the same pedals and bunch of strings) can serve more than one purpose and may not necessarily contain the root after which it's named.

For instance, if you play a C6 chord on strings 6,5,4,3 and then press P6, you get Cm6 which makes perfect sense. But then you are told that the same thing is an F7. What? Where's the F? And why is there a 9th in there that no-one mentioned? And so on.

But I've got used to it, accepting that the C6 is more intuitive and you can't account for every note as you can on the E9. I've never played lap steel but I suspect it might have helped.

I don't think that's so much a C6 thing, it's just an effect of extended chords regardless of which neck you are playing.

Here's one example that I use a lot. E9 open, strings 5,6, & 8 you have an E. Push A & B with the E lever, and you have a B9 with no root (which could also qualify as a B7 similar to your F7 example). That's not very abstract either... as I said, I use that position for a 9th chord quite often.

Robbie Daniels

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2016 12:17 pm    

And there is a good reason for a course in music theory to help understand some of these strange things or a fantastic ear for music.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2016 5:10 pm     Chart

Herb is sending me a c6 chart. Good man, thanks Herb.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2016 7:30 pm     C6

Is there an easy way to figure out the melody notes on c6? Thats the hardest thing on c6 for me. If i could just figure out the melody on chords I 4 and 5 i think that would help get me started. Any tips, or tricks?

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2016 9:17 pm    

Terry, if you send me an email, I will respond with a few materials that may help you. They are helping me tremendously.