The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dr Ralph Stanley
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2016 6:06 pm    

Ralph Stanley has passed....I'm aware that there's not too many Bluegrass fans on here , however he was highly respected

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2016 8:20 pm    

The first music that really caught me was Bluegrass, It was Earl in G tuning. if you listen ten to his fill, it's Blues. Then I heard Ralph playing ing in D tuning, and I was hooked! Learning to fingerpick these fingerpick guys gave me me such a step up up into playing steel.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2016 9:59 pm    

A true legend is gone, sad to hear this.

Kind Regards, Walter

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 2:06 am     Here's the obituary in the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/24/arts/music/ralph-stanley-whose-mountain-music-gave-rise-to-bluegrass-dies-at-89.html?emc=edit_th_20160624&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=42160768&_r=0

Ralph Stanley, Whose Mountain Music Gave Rise to Bluegrass, Dies at 89

By BILL FRISKICS-WARRENJUNE 23, 2016

Ralph Stanley, the singer, banjo player and guardian of unvarnished mountain music who was also a pivotal figure in the recent revival of interest in bluegrass, died on Thursday. He was 89.

His death was confirmed in a message posted on the website of his grandson, Nathan Stanley, who said his grandfather had skin cancer. The Associated Press reported that he died at his home in Sandy Ridge, Va.
Though widely regarded as one of the founding fathers of bluegrass, Mr. Stanley said on numerous occasions that he did not believe his music was representative of the genre.

“Old-time mountain style, that’s what I like to call it,” he explained in a 2001 interview with the online music magazine SonicNet. “When I think of bluegrass, I think of Bill Monroe.”

Mr. Stanley, Charles McGrath wrote in The New York Times in 2009, “is one of the last, and surely the purest, of traditional country musicians.”
“He’s such a stickler that he has no use for the dobro, let alone electrified instruments,” Mr. McGrath wrote, “and he’s not overly fond of the term bluegrass.”

His reservations aside, the Stanley Brothers and the Clinch Mountain Boys, the group that Mr. Stanley and his brother Carter led for two decades, was among an elite triumvirate of pioneering bluegrass bands that also included Flatt and Scruggs and the founders of the genre, Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys. Renowned for their otherworldly vocal harmonies and an instrumental style that was more soulful than showy, the Stanleys were the most traditional-sounding of the three.

Mr. Stanley sang high tenor and played banjo in the group. His brother sang the lead parts in a melancholy timbre and played guitar. Performing a mix of blues, ballads, hymns and breakdowns, the Stanley Brothers popularized a number of songs that would become bluegrass standards, among them “Mountain Dew,” “Little Maggie” and “Angel Band.”

Another staple in their repertoire, “(I’m a) Man of Constant Sorrow,” was updated, in a Grammy Award-winning rendition, by an ad hoc group known on screen as the Soggy Bottom Boys in the 2000 movie “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” The song was performed, in voices overdubbed for George Clooney and others, by the bluegrass musicians Dan Tyminski, Pat Enright and Harley Allen.

Mr. Stanley’s ghostly rendition of the dirge “O Death” also appeared on the multiplatinum soundtrack to “O Brother.” The song won a Grammy in 2002 for best male country vocal performance and afforded Mr. Stanley more mainstream exposure than he had ever had before.
After his brother’s death in 1966, Mr. Stanley continued to lead the Clinch Mountain Boys, taking the group in a more traditional direction. “I was aiming to establish my own sound, which was more old-time mountain-style than Carter was really comfortable with,” he wrote in “Man of Constant Sorrow: My Life and Times,” his 2009 autobiography, written with the journalist Eddie Dean.

“I wanted to put my own stamp on some songs that bluegrass and country fans hadn’t heard before,” Mr. Stanley explained. “I found some material that fit my voice like ‘Hemlocks and Primroses,’ which was a fairly recent song but sounded a few hundred years old and was adapted from some mossy old British ballad by a songwriter from West Virginia.”

Mr. Stanley and various installments of the Clinch Mountain Boys recorded dozens of albums and toured widely; two of the band’s members, Keith Whitley and Ricky Skaggs, went on to successful careers in commercial country music. Mr. Stanley’s son, Ralph II, also sang with the group, which continued to tour extensively, including an appearance at the 2007 Bonnaroo festival shortly after their leader’s 80th birthday. In 2009 they were featured, with the comedian and banjoist Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers, on a double bill at Carnegie Hall.

Ralph Edmond Stanley was born in Dickenson County, Va., on Feb. 25, 1927. He grew up listening to the music of the Carter Family and singing in the ardent, unaccompanied style of the Primitive Baptist Church.

His mother, the former Lucy Rakes, taught him to play the banjo in the claw-hammer, or two-finger, style of the day. His father, Lee, a sawmill worker, was a talented singer; Ralph and his brother Carter, though, were the only musically inclined children in the family. (When his parents married, their mother was a widow with three children from her previous marriage, their father a widower with four children of his own.)
Mr. Stanley and his brother formed the first version of the Clinch Mountain Boys in Norton, Va., in 1946, the year that Mr. Stanley graduated from high school. The two hosted their own radio show in Norton before being hired away by a larger, more powerful station in nearby Bristol, Tenn. It was then that Mr. Stanley developed his rolling three-finger banjo style.

The Stanley Brothers made their first recordings for the independent Rich-R-Tone label in 1947 and moved to Columbia Records the next year. By the time they signed with Mercury in 1953, Mr. Stanley’s haunting, stratospheric tenor had become a focal point of the group’s music.

Their influence within bluegrass and roots-music circles notwithstanding, the Stanley Brothers had only one popular chart hit, “How Far to Little Rock,” released on King Records in 1960. A humorous set-piece in the tradition of the minstrel favorite “The Arkansas Traveler,” the record reached the Top 20 of the Billboard country singles chart. That same year they recorded Albert E. Brumley’s “Rank Stranger,” a performance ignited by Mr. Stanley’s unearthly wailing on the chorus that is often considered the group’s signal achievement.

The Stanley Brothers frequently played college campuses, outdoor concert parks and festivals during the folk music revival of the 1950s and ’60s. In 1970, Mr. Stanley began hosting his own annual music festival on Smith Ridge near Coeburn, Va. He was awarded an honorary doctorate from Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, Tenn., in 1976, and was thereafter known as “Dr. Ralph” to his fans.

He is survived by his wife, Jimmie Stanley; they were to celebrate their 48th wedding anniversary on July 2. He is also survived by his children, Lisa Stanley Marshall, Tonya Armes Stanley and Ralph Stanley II; his grandchildren, Nathan Stanley, Amber Meade Stanley, Evan Stout, Ashley Marshall, Alexis Marshall, Taylor Stanley and Ralph Stanley III; and a great-grandchild, Mckenzie Stanley.

Mr. Stanley was inducted, as co-founder of the Stanley Brothers, into the International Bluegrass Hall of Honor in 1992. He became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 2000. He also received the Living Legend Award from the Library of Congress and a National Medal of Arts. He was the first artist to be presented with the Traditional American Music Award by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Writing about him in The New Yorker after the movie “O Brother” introduced his rawboned music to a new generation of listeners, the critic David Gates observed that Mr. Stanley’s “best performances involve you so deeply that any sense of a particular genre gets lost.”

“Ralph Stanley,” he added, “understood that the way to go was to simplify, intensify and countrify.”
Mr. Stanley put it this way, in a 2009 interview with The Times: “I started out the way I was raised, in the old-time mountain style, and I’ve never wavered from it. I’ve always stuck to my roots. I think that means a whole lot to the audience — people knows exactly what to expect.”

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 3:24 am    

Sitting here listening to WYXI AM in Athens TN. Ralph is singing "Man of Constant Sorrows" from his last release.

Pioneer... all I can say.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 4:21 am     Dr.Ralph Stanley

No words can express the feelings of this loss. One more trip up the hill to the old home place. With Carter now and the Angel Band. Thanks for a
Ife well lived. RIP.

Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 5:01 am    

Ralph Stanley's tenor voice on "Rank Stranger" is my favorite gospel song of all time. It still about gives me chills to listen to him sing. He will be missed and almost certainly not replaced anytime soon.
Rest in peace Dr Ralph Stanley.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 8:00 am    

Although it might be contradictory to Dr. Ralph's style of music, I have "Rank Stranger" tabbed out for E9th pedal steel and it is available to anyone free of charge just for the asking.
This is done in memory of Ralph Stanley.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 12:44 pm    

As a former die-hard bluegrasser in the 1960s, I too cherish the music of the Stanley Bros. and Dr. Ralph. I only saw them live one time, in 1964 or 65 when they came through Los Angeles and played at the Ash Grove.

RIP, Dr. Ralph.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 2:36 pm    

I'm very sorry to know Ralph Stanley has passed away. I met Carter and Ralph back in the 50's since the country band I was playing for(Red Malone and The Smoky Mountaineers) played on The same Radio and TV Station, WCYB Farm and Fun Time, Bristol, Virginia that the Stanley Brothers did. I got to know Carter and Ralph and made some appearances with them. I had the utmost respect for them and their style of music. Ralph liked to catch me out of the studio and de-tune my Steel Guitar and watch me start our bands theme song way out of tune Very Happy. I'd usually get even with him by de-tuning his Banjo. Smile
Back during that time I thought Ralph Stanley was among the very best Banjo players alive. Carter and Ralph was fun to be around and treated me kindly.
Their music will be around for a long time.

Last edited by Roger Kelly on 24 Jun 2016 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 2:39 pm    

Saw them in an old theater on Cleveland's West 25th street back in the early 60s. Bobbing weaving around one microphone. Too much fun!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2016 2:51 pm    

I was at the Ryman the night Ralph became a member of the Grand Ole Opry.As John said"too much fun". Just wonder if any other forum members were there. Butch in NC

Steven Cummings

Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2016 5:23 am    

I listened and enjoyed Ralph and Carter since I was just a kid....

Crying or Very sad

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2016 7:12 am    

Steven,
I will get "Rank Stranger" in the mail for you today.

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2016 8:04 am    

I too would like it Erv.

Thanks so much. I believe that you have my address.

Ben Rubright

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2016 9:04 am    

So sorry to hear of the passing of Dr. Ralph Stanley. He is up in heaven now with his brother Carter. I had the pleasure of doing some shows with both Ralph, and Carter. And to this day, when playing bluegrass, I still do a lot of their songs. One I recently pulled out of the archives, is a song written about the horrible school bus crash, back in 1958, in Floyd County Ky. It is called "No School Bus In Heaven". It is on youtube, from a jam, in Lafayette Ohio. Rest in peace Ralph. Ronnie

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2016 2:34 pm    

Hopefully his heirs will not be angry with the SGF for posting, "Ralph Stanley" and not "Dr. Ralph Stanley". His agent as well as his entourage was very sensitive about that. Either way he was an icon in the bluegrass genre. RIP.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2016 11:11 am    

I am a huge Dr. Ralph Stanley fan, and will miss him.
He had one of the most soul-full voices in bluegrass, as well as being a great banjo player.
Mr. Stanley’s “best performances involve you so deeply that any sense of a particular genre gets lost.” How true.
Another addition to that Angel band.
Rest in Peace Dr. Stanley.
Lefty

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2016 11:39 am    

Ben,
I'll get that tab on its way to you today. Very Happy
Erv

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 10:01 am    

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to meet Dr. Ralph Stanley. He was playing at a meeting for Blue Ridge Electric, a power company in Pickens, SC, and his son was there too. I remember, when I met him, I really had no idea what to say because I was standing with a musical legend! I remember seeing the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" movie in 2001, and hearing him sing two songs in the movie-my favorite is "Angel Band", which is played at the end of the movie. I think Ralph inspired my singing a little bit. RIP Ralph Stanley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 9:38 am    

Sorry to hear about the passing of another legend.
I got to play with him a couple times during my years with Dwight Yoakam.
In 1993 we played with him at his home in Coeburn, VA. It was a small festival, with an even smaller stage no bigger than a front porch. We were playing acoustic that day, and I was playing accordion. So I had the chance to side up next to Ralph - me with my accordion and him with his banjo - and tell him that classic joke about the accordion & banjo duo.
He actually cracked a wide smile.
Vaya con Dios, Dr Ralph...

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 10:29 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoIebIKNS4s
Unlike those of us old generation who think of Ralph as one of the great Bluegrass and Folk Singers of his age, the younger generations will know him best for his performance in the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", which was excellent.

His voice lasted right out to the end. We won't hear his like again in our lifetime. Crying or Very sad

Tom Franke

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2016 11:26 pm    

I can't add anything new, but I can say that no one has influenced me musically more than Ralph Stanley. He was a real giant. I hope his life was good. It was certainly well-lived, and he helped to spread and preserve a wonderful American musical tradition.

I first heard Ralph with his brother Carter on an 8-track tape I bought in a bargain bin. My then toddler daughter loved it, so we listened to it over and over during a three-day trip from Maryland to Kansas City slowed by a snow storm that kept us to less than 40 mph most of the way. But we never got tired of the music. We just sang along.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 3:27 pm    

My cousin Chuck, a US Army bandmaster by the way, built, and then a few years later traded me, a Stewart McD banjo. I still have it & it gets used now & then.
It's name is Ralph.
Sleeptight Mr. Stanley.

Former Member

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 3:50 pm    

It was great to see Ralph during the 'down from the mountain tour.
--everyone kept screaming for more encores, and after several, he told the crowd that we were all going to finish up with a big acapella of Amazing grace. And we did.
The ol timey Kings!
http://youtu.be/1tjY3zP_IYg