The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Update on My Malwarebytes Issues
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2016 12:54 pm    

As I posted earlier, about a month ago my computer automatically update from win7 to win10. I tried win10 for a week or so and decided to exercise the option of going back to win7, accepting the disclaimer that everything "may" not go back exactly as before. As it turned out my malwarebytes was not working properly after going back.

UPDATE,,,Contacted malwarebyles Support (guy named Fernando) who walked me through several attempts to repair (all via email), including coping logs and paths of files to send him to analyze my computer. After reviewing those things he sent me a zip file called "fixdamage" that I ran, went through all the reboot etc. Bottom line,,,,still have the problem!!!! At this point I'm wondering,,,,would it fix everything if I just accepted progress and went back to win10 (which supposedly has its own security so that malware would not be necessary)

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2016 2:11 pm    

I have Win 10 (on all my PC's). I use the Microsoft Defender for Antivirus. I also have Malwarebytes installed on all of them (paid version). You still need both Antivirus and Malware programs.

I didn't look at your other post, but have you reinstalled Malwarebytes? And, have you tried uninstalling, restarting the PC and then doing a new install?

Another issue, if a program is corrupted and won't uninstall, many times doing an install over top of the corrupted program will allow uninstalling it. You can then restart the PC and then do a new install.

As far as which OS, obviously its your preference, but I have no problems with Win 10 (my hardware and applications software are compatible). I do some PC support and all my clients have upgraded to Win 10 and like it.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2016 2:44 pm    

Sonny;
Did you read my advice about performing in in-place upgrade of Windows 7? This operation restores default permissions that are often screwed with when you upgrade to a newer operating system. It keeps all of your personal profiles, files and settings. Just about every version of Windows allows for in-place upgrades.

If you choose to perform an in-place upgrade, you'll need to rerun Windows Updates a few times to get up to date with patches. The operation restores the original operating system files with those packed into the image on the disk you use to do the upgrade.

Windows 10 allows one to download the necessary setup files to do an in-place upgrade from within Windows 10, rather than from a bootable DVD or CD.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog