The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What exactly is Sneaky Pete wearing?
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2016 8:41 pm    

Anita Kleinow wrote:

A bit of trivia: In the Blissfest photos, that's me sitting on the floor to Sneaky's right, as I was setting up his steel for him at this gig. Look real close, I'm wearing black with red roses! Razz

I see you. Smile
What a great memory Cool

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2016 4:06 am     Re: What is Sneaky wearing?

Anita Kleinow wrote:
A bit of trivia: In the Blissfest photos, that's me sitting on the floor to Sneaky's right, as I was setting up his steel for him at this gig. Look real close, I'm wearing black with red roses! Razz

I see you; is it a Nudie suit? Sneaky would've made Best Dressed in the thread on appearances.

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 3:26 pm    

I've often wondered why Pete was called "Sneaky" in the first place.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2016 6:11 am    

I think it's the sneaky way he plays the notes.
Blackbird
This video has more pictures of the cool suit.

Here's more sneaky playing with Zappa: It Might Be Just A One Shot Deal

Can't help one more: Sneaky Strings with Danny O'Keefe on Quits.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2016 6:39 am    

Chris Sattler wrote:
I've often wondered why Pete was called "Sneaky" in the first place.

Might be a clue in this old thread posted by Russ quoting Anita: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=117755&highlight=sneaky+pete+kleinow

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2016 8:03 am    

Cool.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2016 9:13 am     Picture

I have been trying to get one of the photos from the guilded palace of sin cover or an outtake photo like that one. Where did you get that?

Richard Wilhelm

Ventura County, California
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2016 10:01 pm    

I've thought for a long time, that the reason for the dinosaur; was that The Sneaky was a WIZARD of a high spiritual otder. How can one explain the steel guitar music that would play thru my head after seeing the Burritos. Maybe I saw the original band about a dozen times, most with Ethridge on bass and then some when Bernie Leaden was in the band. Me and my friends (one being Pat Flynn later of New Grass Revival) were familiar with with Bernie from him playing lead guitar with Linda Ronstadt. On one infamous evening, the Burritos were on a bill with the Dillard's and some new group called Bread. It was at the Aquarious Theater in Hollywood. Whivh wasas aa phychedelic painted Art Nouvor Movie Theater that the straight world had abandoned and the hippie world had adopted. Hair played there. Well, Gram was very "messed up" that night. He had this ongoing dialogue with an even more "messed up" guy in the audiance, mostly about the wonders of white lightning. The Burritos played last, and some point, Gram drops his Telecaster to the floor. Chris Hillman just walked off stage in disgust. The next time I saw them, Bernie was in the band. SIDE NOTE - a GTO (see Pamala DeBarnes *classic" book, "I'm with the band") was sitting next to me and she was explaining to another GTO how with her thrift store long dress put on backward how she used tape to keep her dress from exposing too much Hollywood in 1969. GOD love you Sneaky Pete, whereever you are.

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 10:24 pm    

Late chiming in, but just to reinforce some points:

Pete's suit was also made by Manuel at Nudie's Rodeo Tailors. Each member selected his own design ideas - Pete went with something reflecting his "day job" as a stop motion animator. The huge black hat (rarely seen) is hilarious.

And Pete, not Gram, was THE man in the Burritos early days. All the other guys deferred to him and had tremendous respect for him. He was the only consistently solid musician in the original band (Chris Hillman's later negative comments are deplorable - but he's dissed just about everyone who isn't him.....).

Having Pete's shirt at the memorial service was wonderful. I lost count of how many people who had their picture taken standing next to it.

I think Greg is smiling in the on stage pic because he'd borrowed my 1-pound bar that used to belong to Pete, and overshot a slide by about 3 frets because of the weight! I swear it's the only time I've ever seen Greg crack up on stage.... Winking
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional