The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Malwarebytes
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 5:39 am    

I think my scan is "stuck". From the dashboard it appears to be stuck in "scan files",,,,,and the files scanned count remains the same 50,330. Says that next scheduled scan is 6-14-2016,,,,,3 days ago? Supposed to scan at 4am every morning. I had not had a notification in a few days so I opened the program and it seems to be stuck there,,,when I click pause or resume or cancel,,,does not seem to respond?

Last edited by Sonny Jenkins on 17 Jun 2016 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 5:59 am    

What is your operating system? Did this start right after June 14, Windows Update day? If so, try reinstalling MBAM on top of the existing version. If necessary, download a fresh, current setup file from Malwarebytes.org. Close the stuck program first. Install from your administrator level account.

Assuming the program resumes working after the reinstallation, update it, then run a full Threat Scan.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 6:28 am    

Running win7. This computer auto installed win10,,,I used it for a week or so then went back to win7. Since Malwarebytes says the next update is June 14, I would assume that's when it happened. Since I'm too technologically challenged to know what MBAM is, or how to do the other stuff I guess I'd better see if I can get someone to help. Does Malwarebytes have a support phone number?

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 7:02 am    

Are you using the free Malwarebytes or is it the paid version?
If it's free, uninstall it and re-install it and start over.
If it is the paid version call or email them. They are very helpful and can fix you up in short order.
My copy lost it's key to allow it to function.
They discovered it and fixed it before I could tell them. I received a notification from them of what happened along with the new key.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 7:20 am    

I'm using the paid premium version. I can't find a ph number for them???

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 7:52 am    

Sonny;

They don't have a support phone number.

They do have a forum----but you shouldn't have to use it.

MBAM is Malware Bytes Anti Malware.

Most likely, Malwarebytes got confused by your roll-back from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

If you can't force it to update through the normal controls, I'd uninstall it and then reinstall it.

You'll need to locate your user ID and Product Key to reinstall and reactivate.

I think they may actually be called "License Key" and "Key". Both are a combination of letters and numbers.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 8:03 am    

Well I can't believe I actually found my ID and key,,,miracles never cease. Now to see if I can uninstall and re install.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 9:43 am    

Well I uninstalled, and reinstalled. Still gets stuck on 50,330, "file system scan". Sent email to support.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 1:50 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Well I uninstalled, and reinstalled. Still gets stuck on 50,330, "file system scan". Sent email to support.

If I read your operating system statement correctly, your Windows 7 was forcibly upgraded to Windows 10. When you discovered this, you downgraded it back to Win 7. How much time elapsed between the upgrade and rollback?

When I did the upgrade/downgrade operation, last October, I rolled back within a half week. Despite the short time in Windows 10, a lot of things went wacky after I was back in Win 7. I published a technical blog article describing some of the problems I encountered and what I did to fix them. It might help you if you can endure the tech-speak.

A thought. If you didn't reboot last time to reinstalled MBAM, try uninstalling MBAM, then reboot the computer. Login to Windows (into an Administrator level account) and install MBAM afresh.

What other anti-virus program is installed? Is it free or paid? If paid, is the subscription up to date?
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2016 5:39 am    

Wiz,,,,it was probably a week or 10 days.

I contacted MB yesterday and was in communications with a "Fernando". He gave me instructions and links to uninstall, CLEAN, and reinstall. I did this , and the first time it still stuck on 50, 330. He then gave me instructions to uninstall, clean, and reboot IN SAFE mode (3 times!),,,then reinstall. I never could "catch" the "windows splash screen" in time to enter safe mode reboot. However, after the 3 times cleaning and reinstall, malwarebytes DID complete a scan cycle. However, this morning, after attempt to scan at scheduled time, it seems it is stuck again (49,326?).

IMPORTANT note.,,,each time I rebooted, I got a message window that said "system cannot start because nativeservices is not installed. Install and try again" I closed that window and the system seemed to start OK. I searched "nativeservices" and found info that said it was "good" and info that said it was "threat"???? That may be the problem that malwarebytes is having. When I informed Fernando of this I never got a response,,,late yesterday afternoon,,,,they may have closed for the weekend??

PS,,,I did a search for native services and found
1. It may be a trace to Python file

2. It may be a part of Kodak software

3. It may be a malware.

I'm thinking in my case it may be connected to Kodak, because when I went back to win7 I had some problems with my Kodak camera

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2016 7:23 am    

Sonny;
This is one of the reasons I don't usually recommend rollbacks from Windows 10 to a previous operating system. I've had nothing but trouble and I know what I'm doing.

One of the things I discovered about OS rollbacks is that file and folder permissions and ownership get corrupted during the process.

The last time I was about to upgrade to Windows 10 I saved both a Windows 7 backup image and an Acronis True Image C drive image. I already had made a Windows 7 recovery disk that can be used to start the computer and find and load saved images. Ditto for the Acronis recovery boot disk.

If you did neither, you don't have a good working copy to reinstall. You are at the mercy of Windows to reset correct permissions, which probably didn't happen as it should have. That's why things aren't working like they were before the up/down grade.

You can take the computer to a repair shop and pay them to conduct an "in-place upgrade" of Windows 7. Or, if you have a friend or relative who is technically adept, it can be done in your home. If you are curious about the steps, read the details on this Microsoft support page. You can probably do this yourself and save a hundred bucks.

An in-place upgrade can usually fix file permissions and other corruptions that interfere with normal operation. Then when you reinstall your malfunctioning programs they should run better.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2016 9:31 am    

So,,,what if I just gave up and went back to win10,,,,what are the chances that everything would be loaded and normal?,,,,or if I downloaded that "nativeservices.pyd"?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2016 10:10 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
So,,,what if I just gave up and went back to win10,,,,what are the chances that everything would be loaded and normal?,,,,or if I downloaded that "nativeservices.pyd"?

That is a Python code support file and is apparently part of Kodak's software package. Reinstall your Kodak EasyShare program and it should be included. Windows does not have that file as part of the OS.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2016 10:28 am    

So,,,this "nativeservices.pyd" thing would have NOTHING to do with malwarebytes not running properly?

Maybe Monday, when Malwarebytes resumes operations, Fernando can help me solve this,,,,or maybe I could turn computer operation over to him (?) to work it out. I think some time in the past (a different computer) I did that to have something done?

Like I said, per his instructions I was never able to open in "safe mode".

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2016 11:12 am    

I just did a uninstall and clean, rebooted in safe mode, did another uninstall/clean, rebooted in normal, reinstalled MBAB and completed a scan. One threat detected (same one it normally detects) quarantined it. Seems to be OK, but when it runs the auto scan tomorrow morning I'll know.