Reply to topic

What brought you to playing steel?
It was a natural assumption. I figured it out for myself
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
I watched other people, was impresssed, and followed them
26%
 26%  [ 28 ]
I wanted to be able to play backing like I heard from Jerry Byrd and Don Helms on Hank Williams's records
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Other
45%
 45%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 106

Author Topic:  How did you come to play steel?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 10:43 am    

What made you come to play steel, in a world where everyone else just bought a guitar and learned to play it?

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 24 Nov 2016 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 11:22 am    

I choose Other. My mom decided that I should learn to play Hawaiian lap steel guitar at the age of 7. I never regretted it. Very Happy

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 11:29 am    

I have always been drawn to the steel guitar. I loved the sound.. the way they look.. everything. When I started playing it felt very natural.. not to say it wasn't a challenge.. but it felt right to be playing this way.. with the guitar flat and facing up.

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 12:29 pm    

I always loved the sound of both lap steel and pedal steel guitars - the Gun Club's "Mother Of Earth" with its haunting steel tones was one of my favorite songs in my teenage punk rock days; also loved the steel on Hank Williams sounds; when I discovered Calexico (pedal steel), and a little while later, the Friends Of Dean Martinez (lap steel), I finally got the urge to learn to play those instruments myself.

Frank Agliata

Jersey Shore, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 8:18 pm    

As a rockin & rollin' member of the baby boom generation, I picked up guitar and bass back in the 60's. Along with millions of others of my peers. Early inspirations being the surf music sound, ie . . Ventures and the like.
But it was that much discussed song written by Graham Nash with that beautifully haunting steel guitar that got much air play back in the day, that hooked me.
Later I discovered "Country" rock, New Riders with Buddy Cage and PPL with John David Call. They magically made the steel dance on it's own on top of the tune. Afterwards I came to appreciate the great Buddy Emmons, along with Tommy White and Joe Wright among many others.
My latest infatuation is the C6 non-pedal sound of Cindy and Rose along with Eddie Rivers along some others right here on this forum who graciously share their material for all to learn from.
It never stops I suppose. I know I won't stop until they put me in the ground. I'm totally hooked . . Winking

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 8:31 pm    

I had to choose "Other" since I first got excited from listening to the Cajun steel recordings of Archonge Touchet, Atlas Frugé, and Phillip Alleman. After messing with that a bit, I fell in to choice "3", listening to Byrd, Helms, and others of that era.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2016 6:38 am    

I picked natural assumption tho wonders if that's possible, reading about Lowell George's Craftsman plug socket after trying a glass bottleneck.
Steel was the deal.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2016 6:44 am    

I lost the feeling in my left ring and pinky fingers, so I switched from 6 string guitar and 5 string bass to steel.

Started with lap first, to pedal, back to lap and dobro.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2016 6:57 am    

i was a kid, already playing slide.
then i heard Kaki King's 'Gay Sons of Lesbian Mothers'.

bought a Hawaiian nut for my acoustic, and off i went, watching other possibilities for employment slowly vanish.
Neutral

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2016 8:05 am    

John Hughey with Twitty and Bruce Bouton with Skaggs.
Heard em' - hadda do it.
JB

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2016 8:25 am    

I was playing a lot of guitar and bass in pit bands for musical theater. A couple of shows came up which called for doubling lap steel, so I got hold of one and learned in self-defense. Smile Then I got hooked and went into pedal steel.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2016 9:54 am    

Other: I wanted to play guitar, so my dad brought me to the music store for proper lessons. At 8 yrs old my small hands couldn't make any chords so the teacher decided I'd learn lap steel. I was off and running, glad it turned out that way.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2016 6:47 pm    

Ive been a banjo player for 40 years now, but David Lindley and Rusty Young's pedal steel and Melobar work with Poco blew me away back in my teens and 20s. I didn't actually get a steel and start trying to play until much later, though. It's not as easy as it looks, and it doesn't look that easy.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2016 7:27 am    

I've always loved steel guitar, in all its forms, but it wasn't till later in my life that I jumped in the pool.
I was getting back into playing regular 6 strings and quickly found that years of abuse with a touch of arthritis now made doing the left hand spider monkey thing a painful challenge.

My defining moment came while watching a David Gilmour video and it all became clear. The smile on his face was infective and figured I'd give my left hand a break and give steel guitar a try. Steel guitar had always been part of the music I loved and it just made sence.

Like many, I shopped around looking for a decent quality steel to get me started. It didn't take long till I realized that I did not want to settle for a cheap import and the instruments I liked were a bit more than I wanted to spend for an unknown experiment. Being one that has always been good with my hands with a lot of experience in building and making things, I figured I'd give building my own a try. My first one came out great, and my secound even better. Fast forward to today and my playing skills are still modest. I'm lucky to be easily amused by the simple melodies I can play. But, the creative side of me that was reaching out in the begining found a home with building them. Its been a great journey and I look forward to what the future may bring.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2016 2:01 pm    

As a teenager I was heavy into progressive rock and Steve Howe was the first player I ever saw with a steel (Fender Stringmaster and Sho Bud D10). Loved the sound of his steel solo's on And You and I, To Be Over, and Going for the One. Also hearing Pink Floyd's Dave Gilmour's slide playing was inspirational too. I used to sometimes solo on regular electric guitar with a slide. Years later after discovering some of the famous rock steel parts (Garcia on Dire Wolf, Sneeky Pete on 6 Days on the Road & Zappa's It Just Might be a One Shot Deal, Perkins on the Stones Torn & Frayed, McPhee on Pride of Cucamonga, etc) decided to try pedal steel and then console steel Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2016 6:37 pm    

A little old lady from San Diego.

Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 2:41 am    

When I was young, my guitar teacher, a brilliant multi-instrumentalist, knew I wanted to follow in his footsteps and play standards several nights a week in local combos. He also knew I didn't have the talent to compete with some of the top-flight, national level guitarists who worked in my town. He suggested I take up tenor banjo and lap steel to give me an edge, in terms of getting work. I took his advice on tenor banjo, and it was good advice. I now do about three gigs a week on tenor. (By contrast, I average between one and two gigs a month on guitar.) After my teacher died a few years ago, I decided to act on his advice concerning steel. I'm terrible, but I'm sticking with it. Who knows? Maybe some day, I might be able to produce some sounds on this thing that are interesting or useful or pretty to someone. It goes without saying that I'm not there yet.

Tony L.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 3:46 am    

I've always loved the sound, but didn't know what the instrument was. I got interested in slide guitar, but I played mostly in standard guitar tuning. Once I really discovered what the sound was, I started trying to emulate it on guitar. Buddy Emmons was an influence at that time, but it was mostly Speedy West and Gabby Pahinui.

Bought an old Electar Model M at a flea market, tried to figure it out on my own, gave up, bought a pedal steel, gave up, bought a tricone, stuck with it and eventually (around 2007) forced myself to learn C6 tuning. Things are a lot different today. After playing electric guitar for a lot of years, I only play steel now. My guitar style is starting to resurface in my steel playing.

Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 4:57 am    

My first exposure to the instrument came when I was about 18. I was going on and on about some famous guitarist, and my teacher said, "It's about tunes more than the players. Know the tunes so well you could play them in your sleep." To demonstrate, he pointed to three lap steel leaning against a wall. After telling me that they that were all in different tunings, he told me to pick a tune, a key, and one of the steels. I picked the yellow one, "It Had to Be You," and key of A. He immediately picked it up and played the most beautiful version of that tune I could ever inagine. (I GUESS it was in A.)

It was a very memorable moment for me, but I didn't take up the instrument until several decades later:

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 7:38 am    

I wasn't good enough on guitar to get in a band, so I took up steel. Less competition.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 8:27 am    

I bought a guitar and taught myself to play.
I was a finger picker on acoustic guitars.
Many years later arthritis in my left hand said, "No, you can't do that anymore".
On a whim I ordered the cheapest lap steel I could find so I could give it a try.
I fell in love with it. I am no good but I am having a great time.
I modified the cheap lap steel and ordered a bunch of Troy's lessons.
Now my little cheapo has 4 friends, including a reso and a 70 year old Electromuse
which oddly enough I really like. I understand that is a federal crime in some circles.
I couldn't stand not being able to play music. It's been a lifesaver.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 10:48 am    

The sound, the sound, th........

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 6:07 pm    

How do I vote? I was playing bass in a country band in 1975, and I fell in love with the sound of the steel. It wasn't long before I was playing. The outlaw thing was going full blast, and I loved it!
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 3:42 am    

I bought Arlen Roth's HOW TO PLAY SLIDE GUITAR book from Homespun tapes in the late 1970's. It had one of those square floppy 45 RPM records in the back that you had to tear out of the book. Learned to play DUST MY BROOM and a few other blues tunes using as slide.

Shortly after, I ordered a stainless steel square neck neck Dobro (new for $380) and started playing Dobro. And shortly after that my mom called one day and said, "I was at an estate sale and I saw this little toy guitar with Gibson written on it and it was only $5 dollars so I bought it." I burned rubber to mom's house to find a 1955 Gibson BR9 lap steel. Way to go mom!

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2016 10:04 am    

This is the song that did it for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBpERMkIYlY