The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Year of Emmons PP
Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 6:09 am    

I am nearing the completion of restoring an Emmons push-pull. I am hoping someone has a close number to it and knows the year it was built.
It is a D-10 bolt on. The number on it is 2700.
There is no D preceding the 2700.I am thinking it is a 67-69 ? from what I have found out so far. I also have a 1970 Emmons D-10 and that is a cut tail.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 7:16 am    

I have a couple of bolt-ons and I always assumed they were approx. '66-'67 vintage.
I don't think a D preceded the serial number, usually it followed it.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 8:29 am    

Show a few detailed photos of the underneath. There are things to look for in dating, such as the bellcrank style. They used six different bellcranks in the Sixties, a few different pedal cranks, four, or arguably five different pedals in the Sixties. The size of the overlap changed. The casting alloy changed in the Sixties. Two different key heads. Four different lower return spring styles. I have dates for the transitions for all these features.

Your Emmons has an invoice number, which is the third version of the Factory's numbering system.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 9:39 am     Close

Close

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 2 Jun 2016 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 10:01 am    

Jack
Is that 2052 guitar a bolt-on, cut-tail, or wraparound?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 10:14 am     Close

Close

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 2 Jun 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 12:08 pm    

That's cuttail and I'm betting that 2052 is an invoice number. Herb or Chris would know.
What I'm wondering is what do you mean when you say no feed back on pickups? They look like standard Emmons single coil pickups.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 12:25 pm     Cloae

close

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 2 Jun 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 12:45 pm    

Ok, I see Jack, just got some good pickups then. I've seen a few single coils that had very little hum and some had so much was hard to play. Thanks

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 12:55 pm    

There are some things in the photo that are not matching. It is a cut tail, but there were no cut tails until into the 1060's of the D serial numbers when cut tails overlapped with Bolt-ons. The one pickup I can see is not correct for the guitar number and of the few parts you have shown underneath, I can see some non-Factory parts.
Show a photo of the cabinet underside and the overlap down the center, the return mechanism and the general undersides and we can get a better idea of what is going on. But right now, it looks like a mismatched endplate rather than an updated earlier guitar. the age of the parts underneath will determine.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 1:02 pm     close

close

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 2 Jun 2016 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 1:11 pm     Re: No hum

Jack Goodson wrote:
Henry, they are Emmons single coils, but you can set the amps at regular volume level and then put the pedal down and hold the strings, there is no hum at all....thanks jack

Just curious, is that the situation with both pickups on together (center switch position) or with each on separately? Nice guitar... like one I owned.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 1:15 pm     Close

Cloa

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 2 Jun 2016 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 2:07 pm     Close

close

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 2 Jun 2016 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 2:09 pm    

I cannot see the details of the cabinet in the photos, but from what I do see the cabinet does not match an invoice number endplate. Nor do many other parts.

i cannot see the heads of the screws running down the overlap. Did you flock over those after taking the guitar part? Or did you leave the body together? If you left the boy together, how did you fit it to the endplates? It looks like you fitted the endplates to the body and not the body to the endplates, which is how you properly put an Emmons together.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 2:16 pm     Close

Close

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 2 Jun 2016 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 2:26 pm    

Jack, I am confused.

Is it your guitar or is it that of Tom Vollmer?

Tom states in his opening line to this thread "I am nearing the completion of restoring an Emmons push-pull."

I understood that to mean that he was restoring the guitar. I am not saying you did anything to the guitar. I am asking Tom what he did, as he is the original poster.

It is curious too that nearly every one of the pull hooks is made incorrectly. Did this guitar really break that many pull hooks so the owner needed to fashion new ones the way they thought they should be bent rather than the way they actually are bent?

Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 4:03 pm    

In response to using original pull lever hooks some were missing so had to make new.
I bought this guitar from a player I knew who had it years ago. He decided to sell and asked me to buy.
I did and although it was most there it looked like was in a barn/garage for years . I tried to use as much original parts as possible. The mica was loose at a number of places but was able to glue back in place. The tuning keys hardly worked but after soaking a few days got them working Totally disassembled everything else and cleaned, rework as needed. The original fretboards were usable. The legs were shortened so replaced with new standard height. The aluminum channel part of the pedal board was so hammered that I replaced with a new piece.
Now as I approach completion and have it up to playing speed I don't know if I want to sell , my original intent, or keep and sell my other PP,1970 D-10 cut tail as they both sound so good yet as many PP owners will tell you they all sound good but two aside each other will sound uniquely slighty different.I can say this as owning 6 or more PP over the last 50 years.