The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unwanted Ads Blocker
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 2:44 pm    

If you are tired of all those unwanted Ads popping up on every web page you open...here is a good solution.
I am using this FREE program and it works!

https://adblockplus.org/

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 5:09 pm    

I use that program and it is a good one.
I use it along with uBlock which I also like.
I can't remember the last time I saw an ad on my monitor.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 5:16 pm    

Larry Carlson wrote:
I use that program and it is a good one.
I use it along with uBlock which I also like.
I can't remember the last time I saw an ad on my monitor.

Web sites are starting to push back.

A dozen or more times in the last 2 months, I've gone to a web site and been confronted with an onscreen message to the effect of "you're using an ad blocker. This site is supported by ads. You can't view anything here unless you turn it off or add this site to your white list". I won't do that, I just move on.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 5:48 pm    

Mitch Drumm wrote:

Web sites are starting to push back.

A dozen or more times in the last 2 months, I've gone to a web site and been confronted with an onscreen message to the effect of "you're using an ad blocker. This site is supported by ads. You can't view anything here unless you turn it off or add this site to your white list". I won't do that, I just move on.

Well, that would make two of us I guess.
We dropped cable tv because of the incessant and insulting ads.
I was paying a ridiculous fee to watch at least 20 minutes of commercials every hour.
I will apply the same principle to the internet, which is also rather expensive.
If the ads become oppressive or mandatory I will withdraw.
I won't pay a fee to be constantly bombarded by people trying to sell me things I don't want.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 7:24 pm    

I have learned that AdBlock Plus may interfere with the normal video playback operations of certain posts on Facebook and other websites. Disabling the extension didn't work. I had to uninstall it completely and restart the browser to restore normal operation of the affected pages. I have since removed it from all my computers. Your mileage may vary.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 12:01 am    

To reduce the unwanted noise I use AdBlock Plus and Ghostery in my main browser. That some websites won't play along with these doesn't bother me, as there are nearly always similar or better alternatives (sites) around, and DuckDuckGo is my preferred search option to find what I want.

I also use a Tor browser on occasions.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 2:45 am    

I'm on Exede Satellite, with 10GB per month. I use AdBlocker Ultimate, Flash Block, Simple Popup Blocker, Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel, and a Download Scheduler. That way I get to use my 10GB per month...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 6:47 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
I'm on Exede Satellite, with 10GB per month.

That's a tough way to go - I know - been there, done that, with "DishNet". You have my sympathy.

In addition to being painfully slow, early on I discovered that downloading just one software version upgrade totally wiped out my entire month's 10GB allocation. To finalize that download and get through rest of the month, I had to buy additional 1-GB increments, that, in total, cost around $200 more for that month. Fortunately, an option existed, and that experience motivated me to exercise it.

I use Firefox and several add-ons - Blur, Adblock Plus, Yes Script, and Flash Control. I do find that one or more of them break critical website functionality on occasion. I disable them when the site is essential (online banking), and move on when it's not - e.g., some Drudge link.

But I'm in total agreement that I won't pay for internet access just to be inundated with annoying and distracting advertising. I don't give a rip if some website purveyor gets his nose out of joint over it. I'm in control here, they're not.

Sometimes I find that a website contains an ad in a box on the page that somehow managed to overcome my defenses and remain visible. I haven't delved into exactly what kind of content they are. But there's a last-ditch defense built into Firefox I've found that can deal with those, and it's loads of fun to use.

If I position the cursor over the offending ad box, and right-click, the drop down includes "Inspect Element". A portion opens up at the bottom of the screen, showing the HTML in the page, and the code for the ad box is highlighted. Pressing the Delete key deletes that code in real time. Sometiimes, I have to do several "Deletes" consecutively to destroy enough code to wipe out the ad, but it's all great fun, and very satisfying, once the ad has disappeared!

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 7:43 am    

Dave Potter wrote:

If I position the cursor over the offending ad box, and right-click, the drop down includes "Inspect Element". A portion opens up at the bottom of the screen, showing the HTML in the page, and the code for the ad box is highlighted. Pressing the Delete key deletes that code in real time. Sometiimes, I have to do several "Deletes" consecutively to destroy enough code to wipe out the ad, but it's all great fun, and very satisfying, once the ad has disappeared!

Hey....thanks for the hint.
I also use Firefox and I will have to give that a try. Mr. Green
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.