The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Rick Vanaugh
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 4:21 am    

Just learned that Nashville drummer Richard 'Rick' Vanaugh passed away today after a period of illness. He was a very nice guy to talk to in addition to being a tasteful drummer. RIP Rick.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 2:08 pm    

Rick will be missed, he was always nice to me and my wife. Here is a link to his obituary
http://www.statonborowskifuneralhome.com/notices/Richard-VanaughJr/
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 5:33 pm    

I loved Rick. A great guy, friendly, sensitive, and a wonderful swing drummer. I had great times playing with him behind me.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 6:57 pm    

Seen Rick at many steel shows. Always on the money. Tasteful and superb drummer. Also a great guy with a pleasant personality. It's a great loss to the music community. RIP. Rick

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 3:43 pm    

Wow. Just wow. They just had a benefit for him that I could not attend a few days ago. We used to gig together at the Nashville Palace back in the day. Rick was a great drummer, and a real hoot to hang with. Hate hearing this. Crying or Very sad

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 3:48 pm    

I am shocked to hear about his passing. I do know he was rock solid on drums. What a great loss in the music world and to his family and friends.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 1:51 am    

Very sad news. I have the "Time Jumpers" DVD and it features Rick on drums, some of the nicest and most tasteful percussion I have seen or heard.

Another "Time Jumper" is gone...RIP.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2016 3:06 am    

Rick was the drummer on 2 videos many of us steel players have, the Buddy Emmons and Hal Rugg from the Bell Cove and the video An Evening Of E9th with Tommy White and Lloyd Green. He was rock solid on drums and evidently a great guy as well.

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2016 7:06 am    

Back in the mid 70's I was working 6 days a week at the Ford Plant and playing 5 nights in a band with Rick. Rick would pick me up, I'd crawl into his van and go to sleep, when the gig was done I'd crawl back in and do the same. He would never take a dime for it. We had many great times picken together. It was a huge loss for St. Louis when he left for Nashville, but it was great for him and I'll always treasure his life long friendship. May he rest in peace.
Pat Heller