The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Plugins??
Howard Warehand

Hertford, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 10:32 pm    

Hi to all.
I am trying to load a freeby PC Synthesiser by Green Oak.com.called Chrystal
I assume because it's free it is only offered in zip file format or a VST,whatever a VST is.
I have been able to convert the zip file into an unzipped file but that's where my knowledge about plugins etc ends. What do I need to do to convert the unzipped file into something usable. Your expert advice will be much appreciated. I'm running Win 10 btw.
Howard.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 5:37 am    

I found this on their website, on the Patches page:
Quote:

Want to add some new sounds to Crystal? You're in the right place. Download these user banks which contain hundreds of patches for Crystal. After you download and uncompress them into .fxb files, you can use the bank loading feature of your VST host to load them into Crystal.

An even easier way to use patch banks is with Crystal's patch bank browser. Just drag the bank (.fxb) files, one at a time, to the "Import Bank Drop" well in Crystal's Browse tab (under Patches on the Modulation page). Once imported, you can load a bank from the Banks menu, and choose patches from the loaded bank with the Patches menu. You can find a tutorial for Crystal's Patch browser here.

IHTH
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 6:29 am     Re: Plugins??

Howard Warehand wrote:
Hi to all.
I am trying to load a freeby PC Synthesiser by Green Oak.com.called Chrystal
I assume because it's free it is only offered in zip file format or a VST,whatever a VST is.
I have been able to convert the zip file into an unzipped file but that's where my knowledge about plugins etc ends. What do I need to do to convert the unzipped file into something usable. Your expert advice will be much appreciated. I'm running Win 10 btw.
Howard.

I'm assuming there's no "setup" program for this plugin. Some VST plugins have an install program. Most VST plugins don't need a setup program.

Your DAW program will have a folder for VST plugins. Just drag the .dll file for the plugin to that folder and it should work.

If your question is now "what's a DAW program?" ask on the "Recording" ... thing. It's a program like Sonar, ProTools, REAPER.

Some plugins have files other than the .dll and you'll have to check the documentation for the plugin for what to do with those. Those also tend to have a setup program.

Howard Warehand

Hertford, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 12:57 am    

Many thanks to you all for your valuable help. The forum wins again!
Regards Howard