The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA classic 5 and 4 price?
Olie Eshleman

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 1:14 pm    

'73 MSA S10 in rosewood mica. I got this thing rodded and playing great. Paid $1000 for it 10 years ago. Added LKV and P4 (done by Jim Palenscar), added an alumitone PU (will include original PU with sale if desired). Can also include a lift kit, extra rods and belcranks.
Cosmetically, it shows it age. But, I've cleaned the changer and replaced nylon washers. It plays great. I have almost 2 grand and a lot of time into it. Thinking $1500. That seem fair?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 2:28 pm    

Looking "beat", that would probably be a fair price. If it were pristine, you'd likely get $1700-$1800. Most MSA Classics look great for their age, because they're all stainless steel and aluminum (they don't rust up underneath like an old Emmons, or a 'Bud).

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 4:15 am    

Have to disagree with our good friend Donny. In the case of a MICA body MSA that "shows its age" $1500 is asking a lot. Try it and see what happens, but I would be surprised if you get a bite. Old MICA MSA steels are much less desirable than the Maple body versions.. the maple body MSA steels sustain and sound a lot better to most ears.. I have bought several Maple/Lacquer MSA guitars over the years, some in dead mint condition and never paid more than $1500, usually a lot less.. I would say an average condition MICA MSA might possibly get you $1200, $1300 on a great day, but I have my doubts.. If I had one, I would start at $1200 and hope for $1100.. I bought a gorgeous condition S10 Lacquer last year at $1400 and Micas always bring several hundred dollars less... Try posting it at $1500 and see what happens, but be flexible in your expectations.. I have sold 2 MSA lacquer guitars in the past 2 years.. Got $1200 out of one and $1400 for the other, and both were VERY nice guitars... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 5:30 am    

I'm thinking Bob is realistic and Donny optimistic.
If you have plenty of pics and patience, you might get Donny's numbers. If you want to sell quickly, Bob has your realistic numbers.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 7:29 am    

It's fine to disagree! At first, I was considering $1200 or $1300, but this is a 4+5 guitar, kinda rare for this model, and the additions were professionally done. That is what boosted my number.

It's also good to keep in mind that my valuation of a guitar is based on it being bought by a player who intends playing and keeping it, long-term. Paying a couple of hundred extra will bother someone a lot more if they intend on reselling an item fairly soon. I sometimes overpay for things, but I take solace in the fact that I didn't miss something I really wanted because it wasn't a "bargain". Cool

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 8:04 am    

There you go. Well stated.
And the extra copedent WILL add value, but only a smaller number will appreciate that value.
There will certainly be someone to pay the higher end, but there may be a wait before s/he shows up.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 8:28 am    

Donny.. actually the 5 and 4 s10 was a fairly standard configuration.. Lots of them out there.
Over the years I have sold 5 and 4 MSA's and 3 and 4, and actually the prices I got were pretty close.. I think its because MSA parts including pedals are easy to find and are among the cheapest of all pedal steel parts to buy. For some weird reason lots of guys buy an MSA s10 with 5 and 4 and promptly pull 2 pedals off.. Never could wrap my head around that. I have found that Maple/lacquer MSA steels are not as easy to find as they once were.. Guys seem to be hanging on to them. They are among the best built, best sounding pedal steels ever built IMHO.. In any case, past year or so, I have seen a lot of MICA MSA's for sale here, but not many all wood ones...bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 9:14 am    

Otto, I agree with Bob. The problem is that MSA made so many guitars, there's a glut of them.

If you're a player, why not keep the guitar? Despite being old, it's not obsolete. And you'll never find a better steel for under $2,000. The only drawback to those old MSAs is their weight.

Ii might fetch more on E-bay, where people don't know what they are doing.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 11:05 am    

s10 msas aren't that heavy.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 9:24 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
Donny.. actually the 5 and 4 s10 was a fairly standard configuration.. Lots of them out there.

Bob, perhaps...but I haven't seen any S10 5+4 Classics for sale this year, and I only noticed one last year. Neutral

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 9:45 am    

Maybe there haven't been many for sale because people realize how great they are, and are keeping and playing them.

If you install one of Tom Bradshaw's raise/lower conversion thingies on the 5th string so you can get a tuned split, those 40+ year old guitars can do anything that can be done on any steel being made today.

I upgraded to the Millies because of their lighter weight. (I bought the Quilter for the same reason.) But there was no musical reason for me to do that. There is nothing I can play on the Millies that I couldn't play on the old classics.