The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  When will i get good
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 11:34 am    

Setting here praticing scales and chord movements along with some song s that i have learnt uptill now,I am wondering how long will it take me to learn to play what i want to play without thinking , well realizing that every moment i spend with these 12 strings and 12 movements of knee levers and pedals I AM getting better , because every new note or movement that i learn is another step in my journey to the blissful ability to play what i want to play on this thing and I must not stop if i want fullfillment and knowing that this is a life long journey is even more enjoyable and exciting trip that will never come to an end. Isnt it GREAT hummmm i wonder where this note fits in here oh and by way this note goes in here with this chord WOW see there i am learning ( a little humor there lol( . I dont want to play jazz or country or rock or classical i want to put them all together to play something that has never been heard before something new and fresh , something that i know is waiting for me to discover ( hope you get my meaning there) ANYWAYS its gonna be a exciting journey, thanks for listening to my dreams and hopes . Russ

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 11:42 am     Re: When will i get good

Russell Adkins wrote:
I dont want to play jazz or country or rock or classical i want to put them all together to play something that has never been heard before something new and fresh ,

"I don't want to speak of English, or German, or Farsi, or Russian, or Mandarin. I want to put all the words together and speak something new and fresh. "

Sure you can jump straight to doing your own music, but it'd help to have a grip on the building blocks of other forms.

But congratulations on the progress. These things are fun

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 11:59 am    

You got that right Lane , i know it all comes from the same place and different musicians take it different places , thats what i ment by my statements , i want to take it somewhere else where its never been and one day i will . Russ

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 12:36 pm    

Try to find your own "creative process".
Every one is different. Maybe try & stick with the instrument itself. It's easy to get lost in using effects, at least for me. Too much fun!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 12:42 pm    

As one who has "gone where no steel player has gone before," I say you have to learn the basics first. I played in country bands for more years than I care to think about before started attempting to play other kinds of music.

You have to learn the rules before you can break them.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 2:39 pm    

Take in vocabulary from everywhere. Rimsky-Korsakov, Jimmy McGriff, Sonny Stitt.
The more stuff you know, the more you can draw on

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 10:41 am    

Russell - just before I do!
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 10:52 am    

For many of us it was at the point where we thought that we could not get any worse!

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 12:22 pm    

David Nugent wrote:
For many of us it was at the point where we thought that we could not get any worse!

Ok........you owe me a new keyboard.
Mine is now covered with a mouthful of rum and coke.
It was probably so funny to me because it applies to me so perfectly.

One day I sucked.
The next day I didn't suck quite so bad.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 1:09 pm    

I gave up long ago trying to be good... with that out of the way, now I can focus on the money... . Laughing Laughing

in seriousness... genuine capability in music can be illusory. You can hear the smoothest most precise perfect cover band player out there and throw them in an improvisational situation and they won't know their head from their tail.

You can take a theoretical expert and they may know every scale position but they cant play to the rhythm or make the music flow.

There are very few that have the perfect combination of practical knowledge skill and theory. .. those that do probably are either bored stiff or still think they suck.

Music in its purist sense comes from playing the right notes at the right time. .. in proper time feel and intonation and dynamics. Everything else is illusory.

i recall bands where the singer claims he wrote the band's biggest hit song a few months into learning the guitar. There are a huge number of hit ongs that were written spontaneously on stage or live in the studio.

I think the goal is to enjoy a few moments in life where is all clicking and the hair on the back of your neck is standing up. Elusive.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 1:48 pm    

As Laura Petrie would say,"If you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you." Laughing

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 4:43 pm     Learnig Psg?!!!!!!!!!

Been playing PSG for 35 years now. Every time I play out I learn something new even the smallest thing always makes my day!!!!! That is the fun of it.!!!!!
Their is nothing better then pulling up the big "E" on youtube and listening to the master, God Bless his soul!!!

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 5:50 pm    

Its all fun and exciting isnt it lol

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 5:53 pm    

Tom Gorr wrote:
I gave up long ago trying to be good... with that out of the way, now I can focus on the money... . Laughing Laughing

in seriousness... genuine capability in music can be illusory. You can hear the smoothest most precise perfect cover band player out there and throw them in an improvisational situation and they won't know their head from their tail.

Music in its purist sense comes from playing the right notes at the right time. .. in proper time feel and intonation and dynamics. Everything else is illusory.

I think the goal is to enjoy a few moments in life where is all clicking and the hair on the back of your neck is standing up. Elusive.
My practice sessions are almost all improvisation. even when I'm learning, say, a Brumley lick, I mix it into my practice regimen, as soon as possible, instead of trying to work off of tab, or written lessons. I've progressed much more quickly, that way IMO. I agree wholeheartedly, about playing the right notes, at the right time...in proper time, feel,intonation, and dynamics! I guess I don't have the patience to learn how, or why I'm doing it,----I just do it! -Jake-

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 6:37 pm    

James Jacoby wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly, about playing the right notes, at the right time...in proper time, feel,intonation, and dynamics! I guess I don't have the patience to learn how, or why I'm doing it,----I just do it!
Jake, I understand the reflexive "I don't have the patience to learn how or why, I just do it."
And it's a good and effective way to get started.
It's how we got started speaking.
But a few years in, they start teaching us grammar and spelling and, if we're lucky enough to go to a good school, things like literature and rhetoric.
We learn how the bright folks before us put words together, and we can decide to start thinking about our words and how we put them together.
Then we spend a few years pretensiously mimicking flowery poets, and then we finally figure out how to put all that stuff to the service of our own thoughts and personality.
If we take time to think about how and what to play, we can come up with better ideas.
In 2008 or so, a friend gave me a copy of "This is Your Brain on Music." Great book. It contained a few thoughts on how our brains process music as we hear it, and how composers deliberately work with those processes to get emotional reactions from the audience.
I started using some of these devices in my band: both guitar player and fiddler noticed immediately that there were some cool advances.
Not only is there room for both brains and playing from the gut, both are almost essential. Ignore one and you won't be as good/effective as if you involve both.

EDIT: I changed the sentence Charlie quoted down below. I like the new sentence better.

Last edited by Lane Gray on 30 May 2016 6:01 am; edited 2 times in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 5:54 am    

This reminds me of a song, When.. Will I... Get Good.

Lane Gray wrote:
Then we spend a few years mimicking pretentious poets....

This is choice, and Sonny Stitt.... Imagine Rhapsody in Blue on pedal steel.
Meanwhile, I see the library has This Is Your Brain on Music....

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 9:00 am    

Russell, you're ahead of me. I'm still working and struggling trying to achieve mediocrity! Laughing

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 9:18 am     Re: When will i get good

Russell Adkins wrote:
Setting here praticing scales and chord movements along with some song s that i have learnt uptill now,I am wondering how long will it take me to learn to play what i want to play without thinking...

I dont want to play jazz or country or rock or classical i want to put them all together to play something that has never been heard before something new and fresh , something that i know is waiting for me to discover ( hope you get my meaning there) ANYWAYS its gonna be a exciting journey, thanks for listening to my dreams and hopes .

It will take you from many months to many years. And, if you're also intending to come up with a new genre, who knows. It could happen in a year or two...or never. It's kinda like riding a bike - how far you go depends on how long you're willin' to keep pedaling. Laughing

In the words of Helen Keller:

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going."

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 6:57 am    

I picked up This Is Your Brain On Music. Good writing; am enjoying it as I think any musician would.
It was sitting beside Oliver Sacks' Musicophelia, which you may have read, Lane. Sacks is more of a neurologist than a musician, but these are both smart books and good reads.

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 8:49 am    

On a Gearwire video, Chicago steeler and forum member Joel Paterson said his teacher told him that "it takes two years to suck."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA9D7NYwwKw
I think that sums it up pretty well.

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 9:22 am    

So as a neophyte, the takeaway for me is, Learn to ignore those B.S. observations my ego keeps throwing at me cause they ain't going away any time soon. Good to know.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 4:39 pm    

As much as you can, make your time with the instrument be about Music. Spend as little time as possible on technique and equipment. If you keep your ears and eyes on music, the skills will take care of themselves.
The world is full of great players and composers who developed without any formal training and in fact do many things "wrong". The process of learning, absorbing, and creating music is a mystery that no one really understands. (Although many well-meaning people will tell you what to do).
To get from where you are now, to the place you want to be, stack the odds in your favor, by making your daily routine be learning about music. Then apply that acquired knowledge of music to your instrument, in your own individual way. This will give you a bounty of creativity and your own voice on the instrument.
John

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 6:01 pm    

I got some good answers and some funny answers to when will i get good,I guess it all boils down to me and what I deem good is to me . I like to analyze things that I choose to do and knowing as to why it is like it is , very important to me. Like someone said it takes two years to suck ( funny huh ) Im past two years and I still suck but hey maybe its good to be a slow learner ya think lol , but i am getting better each time i lay that bar on the 12 strings , no brag just fact. Thanks again for your comments. ( I Will Get Good as to When , Its up to me ) I just answered my own question there lol. Russ

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 12:57 pm    

Yes Russell, it depends on what your definition of good is ! Shocked

Good to you may be awesome to another and then...well.. not so awesome to someone else ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ben Edmonds

Greenfield, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 1:30 pm    

It seems to me that every time I define good for myself, and reach yesterday's definition of good, I re-define good.

This has always been the case and if I don't take it all with a grain of salt, I will lose what is left of my mind.

I have learned to enjoy the process. When music becomes a chore for me it is time to quit.