The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U Tube
Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 6:37 am    

I would like to know why every time you pull up a utube a song or music, the utube skips and stops
and I usually just cut it off.

Can you tell why this does this???

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 8:03 am    

it's probably not U-Tube but rather more related to a PC or the Internet provider. I listen to You Tubes everyday no issues, even watch old TV shows that are on You Tube, no issues. And thats on 2 or 3 different sources to view You Tube, not one PC.

Go here > http://www.speedtest.net/

check your net connection

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jeff Bollettino

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 8:11 am    

I agree with Tony, and sometimes the best fix for this is to just download the video onto your hard drive using http://keepvid.com/

If you've got a slow internet connection it may take awhile to download but once you've got it, you can play it with windows media player or something similar and you won't get any skips or other problems

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 7:01 pm    

Since the economy has been slowing down, the various companies which survive by putting ads in front of aggregations of people are having to pull out all stops to maintain any level of profit they have achieved. This has given rise to countless scripts being run to make as many ads visible in the shortest possible period of time. A youtube ad blocking plugin for your browser will help. It cleared up a lot of these issues for me.

Advertisers are getting burned big time by this process and will eventually scale back. Youtube is slow because so much in resources is being used to get ads in front of viewers. Youtube is better than most sites. Not all internet providers are equal. Some handle the traffic better than others. You are not alone in noticing these things.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2016 11:18 am    

If we want to keep YouTube as a free to watch site, we are going to have to accept that ads will be there. Programs that remove the ads do nothing but drive the companies like YouTube to a fee based subscription service. I don't blame them. They spend lots of money on the technology and systems to provide the service. We should not expect them to do it without getting paid by someone. Television and radio is the same way, if you want commercial free programming, you're going to have to pay for it. It's only fair. We wouldn't do our jobs without pay.

RC

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2016 12:13 pm    

It is not a consumer consumers job to keep a business up and running. If internet businesses are trying to milk a market for more than it is worth, that is their problem and not the problem of people who use the site.

Contrary to what many people believe Google did not create the internet. It worked well before they arrived and will work even better after they are gone.

Acting out of self interest is part of the human condition. We must not blame google for using political power, cheating advertisers and squelching private web sites. All of that is in Google's best interest. Also, we should not blame internet users doing things like blocking ads when they get overwhelmed with them.

I am just amazed how people treat these internet companies like they were some kinds of benevolent social service organizations. They are not and no one owes them the time of day.

Rick Campbell wrote:
If we want to keep YouTube as a free to watch site, we are going to have to accept that ads will be there. Programs that remove the ads do nothing but drive the companies like YouTube to a fee based subscription service. I don't blame them. They spend lots of money on the technology and systems to provide the service. We should not expect them to do it without getting paid by someone. Television and radio is the same way, if you want commercial free programming, you're going to have to pay for it. It's only fair. We wouldn't do our jobs without pay.

RC

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2016 3:00 pm    

Google is a search engine ( browser) while YouTube is a website which hosts millions of things that people visit each minute. Both are privately funded and are FREE to each of us to use and have nothing to do with the internet provider which you pay for.

You don't have to use Google to visit websites, use another search engine, but regardless of which search engine you use there is still only ONE You Tube which will be accessed by whichever search engine you decide to use.

If you browsing service is causing grief, start with your internet service provider.

Also , if your PC caches and temp folders are full and overloaded, that can also cause your PC to drag.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2016 7:17 pm    

Google is not a search engine., although it is defined as one. Google does far more to prevent users from finding what they are looking for than to actually find it. Google is not exactly privately funded as you suggest. They have an enormous influence over government policy. Although you don't have to send them a check like you do with the IRS, what they do amounts to taxing the American Public. If you have the time and are truly interested I will be happy to explain exactly how it works. If so, send me an email.

Google is only defined as a search engine. Google ownes YouTube.

In a genuine free market setting, Google would already be out of business. Without the political power to rig their markets and avoid being prosecuted for breaking multiple laws, Google could not survive.

Regardless, no one has a legal or moral obligation to look at an ad or ads when they can figure out how to avoid it. In all fairness to Google/YouTube, they are far from the worst. Yahoo has become almost unusable.

Remember, I am not criticizing anyone. Self interest is part of every human transaction. This is simply businesses doing what is best for their bottom line and individuals doing what is best with respect to their time and energy. This is not a moral issue.

Tony Prior wrote:
Google is a search engine ( browser) while YouTube is a website which hosts millions of things that people visit each minute. Both are privately funded and are FREE to each of us to use and have nothing to do with the internet provider which you pay for.

You don't have to use Google to visit websites, use another search engine, but regardless of which search engine you use there is still only ONE You Tube which will be accessed by whichever search engine you decide to use.

If you browsing service is causing grief, start with your internet service provider.

Also , if your PC caches and temp folders are full and overloaded, that can also cause your PC to drag.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:54 am    

The initial topic is about slow YOU TUBE,which is not common to everyone. Like many I have been using Google Chrome for several years, and YES it is a search engine and MORE. Using another search engine will not fix the slow You Tube the op is experiencing.

Point, the Adds on You Tube are not causing the SLOW DOWN of viewing , sure some are annoying but this is a FREE website to view, free for us, probably not free to host.

We don't need to debate GOOGLE one way or another as it has nothing to do with a slow or intermittent YOU TUBE viewing.

The OP is asking for suggestions for a "clean" You Tube viewing, not for a debate of the internet .

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:27 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
The initial topic is about slow
The OP is asking for suggestions for a "clean" You Tube viewing, not for a debate of the internet .

If that is the case why are you debating? My suggestion to the OP was to try an ad blocker. The debate started when the implication was made that it was wrong to block ads. I am happy to stay on topic.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 9:07 am    

Why am I debating ? No offense but thats pretty funny ! Smile