The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JCH Fingers
Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 2:32 pm    

Hey yall,
I was wondering if anybody would know what fingers will work for replacement on a JCH that has been well played. I've tried to contact some guys, with no avail. I have a JCH that needs new fingers.
Thanks in advance,
Pat

Last edited by Pat Moore on 30 May 2016 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 4:17 pm    

Sending you a private message.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 4:20 pm    

Did you try Mike Cass? Elsie Crawford authorized Mike to complete the final JCH that was on JC's bench when he passed away. Mike is making it for me.

There are at least three different style of JCH fingers. You will need to identify which you have. I may have them as I bought eighty or a hundred or some big number of JCH fingers that I am not having used on my guitar because they are the earlier style. Mike has those parts.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 25 May 2016 4:26 pm    

Don't think the pm worked. I only have the upper part of the fingers the strings go over. Don't have any idea which version, but I think it would be very early 80's.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 6:18 pm    

Thanks guys. 92 D10 built for Lloyd Green
Serial # 92LG922
Thx

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 11:01 am    

Hey Pat, I believe that is the JCH that I owned at one time. That guitar is a tone monster. I didn't notice that it needed any changer fingers, always played good and stayed in tune.
I believe that guitar was Lloyd Greens guitar and was originally a single neck. I think that was the very same guitar that Lloyd was playing at the ISGA super jam where all the supper pickers were on stage at once. The caption says the year was 1990 but think it was around 92 or so because I was there and 92 is first year I went. I'm guessing that maybe Lloyd traded in to Jimmy Crawford and Jimmy made a D-10 out of it. I'm just guessing on that but the wood grain patter looks the same on it as the one Lloyd was playing and someone else had told me this also. Makes no difference because it's a great guitar and sounds awesome. Is this it?

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 11:31 am    

I thought Lloyd's JCH was sold to a fan in Europe a couple of years ago. There is a forum post about it.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 12:44 pm    

As I understand Dustin, he had several different ones. Like I said, this is just pure speculation based on just a few things like serial number, etc.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 2:19 pm    

When this guitar was for sale, I asked Lloyd about it. Lloyd never owned this guitar or has any knowledge of it. Lloyd had one rosewood JCH which is now owned by Walter Stetner.
Lloyd had a green lacquered JCH built for him in 1999 which is now owned by me, and I heard that Lloyd had a JCH with silver aprons which is now owned by Mike Weihrauch.

Regardless of that, no doubt that it is a great sounding guitar. You may try Rittenberry steel guitars for the fingers.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 3:10 pm    

It looks like the photo, but doesn't have the smuge in the middle class n front unless that's a reflection. I bought it from n Damir.
I was asking about fingers, as it has that dadgum sitar overtone in a couple of the strings. That's where I'm at on this.
Thx for all of the input and help so far.
Pat

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 9:34 pm    

That smudge is just a reflection. May be the strings, never did that with me. Hope you find the problem.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 12:39 am    

If there are small grooves worn into the finger, you may try to polish them out. Also check the rollers on the headstock, they can cause a buzz as well if they're worn. In that case you can try a thick oil between the rollers.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 5:26 am    

Hi Henry,
It sure looks like it going by the woodgrain design. I'll send a pic when I can. I really would like to know the true story on it. It does have LG in the serial # as well as '92 which I was told is the year.
I'm just fighting that "sitar" overtone and figured that somewhere along the line someon sanded and flat spotted the 3-4-5th unwound string fingers. Many ideas on this issue. Oil helps a little but still there. Thanks to all responders!
And the search continues.......
Pat

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 10:50 am     Same one?

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 3:56 pm    

Henning Kock used to own Lloyd's JCH, I guess he must of sold it to Walter. To my knowledge, Lloyd hasn't owned a D-10 in over 40 Years. I'm not aware of a third JCH, only the woodgrain SD-10 and the one Marco owns. I can't explain the serial number with LG on it but I can verify Lloyd's guitars were SD-10's and never modified to a D-10, unless Jimmy was going to build this guitar for Lloyd and decided to build a D-10 out of it and build Lloyd a different guitar. But Jimmy would not have purposely built Lloyd a D-10.

Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 4:05 am    

May 29 2016,

Yes, I had the honour owning Lloyds JCH, single neck on double body, from 2004 to 2014, and then I sold it with Lloyds permission to Walter Stettner who runs a great website (http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/.
Look here for more info

Photos of my Lloyds JCH later sold to Walter Stettner. Lots of photos.
Edited November 21, 2014
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2313797&highlight=#2313797

and Edited July 12 , 2014
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2262453&highlight=#2262453

….. and speaking of Lloyd:
In july 2015 it played 9 demos of the Zumsteel Stage One pedal steel guitar
(6 of them are in the Lloyd Green playing style)
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=299972&sid=b05a6abe48ad52726a01e0a83affff9e

Hello Dean,
I talked to you in Branson 2005 after the country show.
We also talked aboud Lloyt Greens seemless and unique
playing.

I enyoyd your pedal steel and Dobro playing on the country
show and also the comedy stand up material.

Best regards,
Henning

Playing on YouTube: Search on my name and pedal steel guitar
-
piano & keyboard:
www.henning-kock.dk
-
ZumSteel Stage One 3F 4K. Year 2018

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 11:10 am    

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the input! Problem solved!

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 30 May 2016 5:18 pm    

What was it. Enquiring minds want to know.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2016 5:49 pm    

I.did something that I had read here on the forum, and was also suggested by an engineer friend I know and added just a drop of oil on the finger. Took care of most of the sitar overtone. I'm gonna see how long it will last. Seems that well used guitars get that. I will still be making contact about new fingers, as I figure this will fix the symptom, but not the problem.
Thx, Pat
The guitar does have great tone however!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2016 6:18 am    

Yes Pat, that guitar has tone to die for. Jimmy came up with a way for the changer to have direct contact to the wood body which in turn makes he guitar resonate more. You may have noticed those two little pin looking deals by the changer connected to body of guitar and changer. Evidently they work because guitar does sound good.

That may or may not have been one of Lloyds guitars but still believe it was once a single neck and later converted to a D-10. It does have an LGD serial number which were single necks or thought so anyway. I've looked at the video real close of the super jam at the ISGA and the wood pattern matches as best as I could tell. Video not the best quality.

Glad you got the sitar problem fixed and hope it stays that way. That's a wonderful guitar. I just had an itch for another Emmons when I got rid of it.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2016 7:24 am    

Thanks for the info Henry. Lots of back and forth on if Lloyd did or didn't own it. Dont matter. Nice ax.
Thx again, Pat

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 31 May 2016 3:50 pm    

I'm puzzled with the neck toggle switch. Jimmy's earlier guitars were buttons. When I worked for Jimmy and he started rebuilding JCH's, he used a center plate that had 2 switches on it. One was the 3 way neck selector switch and the other was a 2 way on and off switch. In the time I worked for Jimmy he built literally just a handful of guitars and there were no woodgrain guitars in that batch nor did he convert an SD10 into a D10 when I was there. Buck Reid went to work for Jimmy after I left so he might know. I could tell more about this guitar if I saw the underneath of this guitar on the changer end of it. Jimmy changed the design of return spring stop bar on his newer JCH'S from what it was on his older guitars. Jimmy also went to using helper Springs on the E9th neck. He didn't use them for the C6 neck as it played great without them. I did study the woodgrain patterns from the pictures of this guitar and the picture of Lloyd's guitar that Walter now owns and I can tell a difference in the grain patterns. Jimmy had an odd way of doing things at times and as I said before, he very well could've changed his mind and built a D10 out of a guitar that was supposed to be an SD10. I know when Jimmy built Lloyd's emerald green guitar, for some reason that guitar just didn't have it, that may be a different story now and that guitar might be a killer sounding guitar now, but after trying several different pickups, Lloyd just couldn't adjust to it at that particular time. That's just how it goes sometimes, I know this cause I was with Jimmy when we went to Lloyd's house to pick up that guitar. If this guitar is one of the newer JCH's, Jimmy could've attempted to build Lloyd a new guitar with the same woodgrain and at that time Lloyd went back to playing his Sho-Bud and Jimmy could've changed his mind about building another guitar for Lloyd. Those are just some scenarios as to why the serial number would say LGD. Anyhow, Jimmy built a great guitar and I'm sure this guitar sounds incredible.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 4:18 pm    

I just realized that Lloyd's woodgrain JCH was built back in 1988. He used that guitar on the last three sessions he did. One was Dolly Parton's White Limousine album, Ricky Skaggs Kentucky Thunder album and Michael Martin Murphy song all done around 1989. Lloyd had the JCH when he was inducted in the Steel Guitar HOF in 88.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 5:01 am    

Hi Dean,
Here's a couple of underneath pix. One of the first things I noticed was it has a flag on the LKL lever, if that's a clue to anything. I really would like to determine the history of this one!
Thx, Pat

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 7:45 am    

Pat, I'm the one that put the flag on the lever. That's the only thing I ever did to the guitar except convert to Day set up and then back to Emmons when I got rid of it.