The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 10???
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 10:42 am    

Last Wednesday morning I I went to my computer to find that Windows 10 had been installed over my XP home premium (I think that's what I had),,,whatever it was I was pleased with it,,,can't say I'm too happy with this change. I wonder if I would go back to a previous date it would give me my XP back? Maybe I had win 7,,,did that come after XP?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 11:16 am    

You must have had Windows 7.

I don't think Microsoft would upgrade you from XP to 10.

If you want to go back to 7, you should be able to do that within 30 days.

Here's how:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/?PageSpeed=noscript

If you wait more than 30 days, you'd have to use another method.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 12:32 pm    

There an option to revert to your previous operating system buried somewhere in the Windows 10 menus (maybe "Settings" ... "Security?" ....Can't remember now, but it's in there). I did that, and it's a simple one-click (OK, might be 2 clicks, one to confirm your choice), but it's pretty painless. If you can't find it, a Google search would turn it up pretty quick, I bet.

If you do go back, and once it's done, you might want to check your Windows update settings to make sure you don't have it set to "install updates automatically" - assuming you don't want this to repeat. Microsoft is desperate to expand their Windows 10 customer base, and they're pulling out all the stops to get it done.

Another thing to check with Windows Updates is the poison pill, KB3035583. DON'T install that one - it's the Windows 10 upgrade nag, and if you see it in the list, hide it so it won't install. Watch for it to show up again, and if it does, hide it again. Like I said, MS is desperate, and that bad boy will come back like a bad habit.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 4:56 pm    

There is no upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 10. One would have to purchase an installation disk to do this upgrade. You must be running Windows 7 or newer to upgrade automatically, for free.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 6:27 am    

All of this leaves me wondering about this great software (that doesn't seem much different from 8, on the surface anyway)
and why Microsoft is in such a hurry to give it away. Certainly, they have X or 11 or whatever in the works, and they know how it all fits together or doesn't.

Maybe it's a marketing experiment!

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 8:24 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
All of this leaves me wondering about this great software (that doesn't seem much different from 8, on the surface anyway)
and why Microsoft is in such a hurry to give it away. Certainly, they have X or 11 or whatever in the works, and they know how it all fits together or doesn't.

Maybe it's a marketing experiment!

I think they are trying to adjust their sources of revenue and rely more on "the cloud" and "subscriptions" and "apps" sold through the dreaded Microsoft "store", which I intend to never visit.

And rely less on traditional one-time license fees.

How well the operating system works is a secondary consideration. If it's one step above barely tolerable and they figure we are all part of a captive audience with no alternative, then all is well.

After all, hopeless saps that we are, what are we gonna do about it? Buy one of them Apple dealies? What's this Linux thing I keep hearing about?

Microsoft is betting that we will bitch and moan and continue to stay with Microsoft and they may well be right. We'll know in 2 or 3 years. Windows 7 still has a 50 percent market share.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 9:06 am    

I run Linux Mint. It has everything I need, including Libre Office and Firefox. Plus tons of stuff you can add on. Icons use a double click to start them, just like windoze. And, I very seldom have to restart it.

My old WinXPSP3 machine runs two ham radio programs so that I can monitor radio traffic on screen. Other than that, it hardly gets used anymore.

My wife has used Puppy Linux since three years ago, and she got used to it in a weeks time.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 12:00 pm    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
I think they are trying to adjust their sources of revenue and rely more on "the cloud" and "subscriptions"...How well the operating system works is a secondary consideration.

Part of their thrust now is the "across all your devices" thing - they're moving beyond just an OS targeted at PCs. And doing things "in the cloud" is becoming more and more in vogue, and it wouldn't surprise me if MS decided to go "cloud" with the OS, too. I take a dim view of "cloud" stuff; "clouds" get hacked, and placing my personal info at the whims of some midnight-shift IT dweeb's not happening. I'd bail if it came to that.

Quote:
After all, hopeless saps that we are, what are we gonna do about it? Buy one of them Apple dealies?

Don't laugh - it's a viable option, at least, that's how it appears to me at this point. People say "Why would I want to buy an Apple computer just to run Windows apps, but it's more than that - you can run what you want, Windows or Apple apps. And the key point is that an Apple device finally frees one from the grips and annoyances of Microsoft, which is making it more and more attractive to me, given Microsoft's attitude lately.

Quote:
What's this Linux thing I keep hearing about?

It has its loyal followers who brag about how sweet it is, and if half what they say were true, everyone would be using it by now, IMO. Things I read about it always seem to show a bunch of command-line stuff I always hated in the DOS days. There are other issues, such as when a Windows application calls for a registry entry, and there's no registry. What now?