The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Garcia/NRPS live concert.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 7:51 am    

For those who want to listen to Jerry and the New Riders, here is a complete gig featuring the Dead (acoustic and electric) and the New Riders. The New Riders come on at about the 45 minute mark. This is a 4+ hour video (well, just audio) recorded in 1970.

This is posted purely to let people hear Jerry live. I'll be the first to say they were a horrible band. But Jerry is part of steel guitar history. If you feel the need to Jerry (or NRPS) bash, keep it to yourself. Don't pollute this thread with hate. Don't like it? Don't listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqwWIAFaISw

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 10:44 am    

Quote:
I'll be the first to say they were a horrible band

I'm sorry to disagree with you Richard, but I think that they were a wonderful band. The first NRPS album was a beautiful piece of music to listen to. It had some magnificent songs that have stood the test of time. On the live material it suffers a little bit, mostly on John's vocals, but the material holds up very well.
Thanks for posting this and have a beautiful California evening.
Duncan

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 3:46 pm    

The first album was really good. I have seen them live many times, and I think this is the worst I have ever heard them, that I can remember anyways. But have always been a fan.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 8:04 pm    

The New Riders were THE band that got me into country, & pedal steel. Seen them many times, with Buddy cage & Bobby Black. Sometimes they sounded horrible, other times fantastic. The best I ever heard them was in an early 70s concert at Queensboro Community College. A British band called "Tranquility" opened for them & I remember they (Tranquility) had the most incredible vocal harmony I had ever heard, and then the New Riders turned in the best performance I had ever heard from them. Bobby Black was on steel that night.

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 9:54 pm     Re: Jerry Garcia/NRPS live concert.

Richard Sinkler wrote:
If you feel the need to Jerry (or NRPS) bash, keep it to yourself. Don't pollute this thread with hate. Don't like it? Don't listen.

You've just excluded 85 percent of our members from this thread! Mr. Green

Thanks for posting - I dig Jerry and the NRPS. And I'm glad to be able to say it in this thread with hopes of no haters responding.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 5:53 am    

I see post has been edited but it was funny when the op called NRPS a 'terrible band'and then made the disclaimer that all bashers of Jerry and NRPS stay away.

Feel like this topic has been covered well, B0B had some great comments about the NRPS in the previous Jerry thread.

My question I guess is does anyone care to tab a few of the choice Jerry licks out from the first album? I love the picking pattern on the first tune 'I don't know you' and I love his playing over 'Portland Woman'.

Also, I haven't checked any post Jerry NRPS. Any recommendations? I'm guessing the 2nd album is the best one to check out next.

Long live NRPS and Jerry's pedal steel fans!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 May 2016 9:30 am     incongruous

Quote:
Feel like this topic has been covered well, B0B had some great comments about the NRPS in the previous Jerry thread.

Honestly, it's been over-covered. Somehow we just can't seem to let it go. My apologies for polluting your thread, Richard, but b0b can remove it if he finds it incongruous..

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 9:45 am    

I think the next three after the initial album are all very good. And of those three I like the second (Powerglide) and the fourth (Panama Red) the best. I've been a big Peter Rowan guy for a long time, so I like those two Rowan tunes on the 4th album, the title track, and Lonesome L.A. Cowboy, some of the more clever lyrics of all time.

The first four albums did a lot of time on my turntable and I saw the band a bunch of times around Northern California.

I was checking out the discography and I had forgotten how many albums they recorded in their first decade in the '70s. They released a total of 11 in that decade (one was a live album and another was a "best of"). That's a lot of studio time between 1971 and 1979.

Buddy Cage of course took over for Garcia on the second album, Powerglide. And though I really enjoyed Jerry's unique approach to pedal steel on the first album, it became a whole other deal when Buddy was on the steel seat.

To me, even more than the pedal steel change, I thought the most significant change was when bassist/vocalist Dave Torbert, who replaced Phil Lesh early on in the band, left after Panama Red and and joined Kingfish. He was replaced in New Riders by ex-Byrd Skip Battin who I always liked, but I just never thought Skip was quite the right fit for New Riders and he only stuck around for a couple years.

Torbert had a great voice and I saw him a bunch of times after Bob Weir joined Kingfish, which upped the popularity of that band by quite a bit.

Sad story - Dave died way too young of a heart attack at age 34 in 1982.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 9:53 am    

Yes Mark, Kingfish was a great band.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 10:37 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Yes Mark, Kingfish was a great band.

Kingfish in their prime, with their original line up plus Bob Weir on vocals and rhythm guitar. Dave Torbert on vocals and bass, Robbie Hoddinott on lead guitar, Mathew Kelly on Harmonica, guitar vocals and Chris Herold on drums. Tragically, hard drugs (heroin) took it's toll on Hoddinott - another victim of drug excess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KCmltiWa4

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 10:48 am    

For all of the Marty Robbins fans, Kingfish doing their excellent take on "Big Iron"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9x4MeZAKs

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 11:48 am    

Well, hmmm.... (to be decisive about it). In the previous thread, I said something like them maybe not always being REALLY GREAT or something in that vein, but: that was very largely based NOT on the professionally whipped n' polished studio albums, like that one with "Panama Red" was pretty good! Rather, I based that judgement on having listened to some fair-sized chunks of the first 70 or so(?) free live Jerry-fueled concerts you can hear here:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/
There's another few hundred post-Jerry concerts, but there's also SO MUCH FINE MUSIC there that listening to somebody to decide if they're mediocre enough to complain about is kinda... well nevermind. Those first 300 or so are under "Ne..." for "New Riders" etc., and there's another lesser-sized clot under "NR.."(NRPS) for those alternative spellers among us. Ha Ha! Aren't hippies funny?

And I thought the most interesting aspect of the whole subject was that Jerry really DROVE the band from behind the steel seat, which is kind of a rarity, but also speaks somewhat to the fact that nobody else was driving it, and nobody wanted to, because it was a "fun" band, probably all the way up until the record company started wanting "product" and the band started wanting "money" - a road to ruin for many a dear boy. But the annoying part was that in those early years at least, there was definately a mocking tone to their approach. Yes I know they liked country music, but on some classics like "Six Days on the Road" and "Working Man's Blues" they also interjected a sizeable goofing quality, as in "Ha Ha! Aren't rednecks funny?" It's a tough juggle, but what lessens my search for clarification is that a just few dits over, the stupendous, underestimated '83 - '88 Miles Davis outfits are eating brains, the "real" Dead are ripping the goobers out of the "Dark Stars" circa '72-'74, there really WERE better +Duane ABB concerts than "Live at the Fillmore"... my time for deep research into things I don't like runs a bit short when staring at 5,000-odd concerts, thinking "gorf!"

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 25 May 2016 1:10 pm     Nrps

Always liked them,always will. Thanks for the link.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 8:05 am    

Sorry Richard, they were not a horrible band. I have played in many horrible bands and the New Riders were not horrible. Just not your cup of tea. Oh, I love the Grateful Dead too....

We're all different....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!