The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How important is appearance ???
Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 9:58 pm    

As a cover band wanting to build a good reputation and earn the opportunity to play out for a little money time to time, how important do you guys think appearance is ??

How far do you take it ?

Our usual dress is jeans and t shirts.

If we want to up our game, how does dress play into that ??

Any and all guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 10:50 pm    

IMO the more you lean into the Les-Paul-thru-a-Marshall-stack genre,the less it matters,but I do think if you're playing NON-bro country it helps to dress up a little.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 12:06 am    

Me, I think appearance is as important as the music. I'm not talking about overkill.

Know our venue, know our audience...

if we are playing for a Pig Roast outdoors, dress for that event. IF we are playing for a club or dance where folks are paying at the door, wearing jeans, boots, nice shirts and hats, dress for the event.

I don't say wear a TUX but these days it is CLEAN jeans and a nice shirt, un-tucked. I rarely wear Tee's while playing anymore.

My take these days, we should look at least as good as the people we are playing for, plus it never hurts to be dressed a tad better than the audience.

we should always

be prepared for the gig
play our best
look presentable

I've played some fill-in gigs recently where I was dressed typical, clean jeans ( blue or black) and a nice shirt, either Western or regular, one or two in the band were in saggy shorts and sloppy Tee's while the other two in two band were like me. It jumped out at me, I noticed it as soon as I arrived. I'm thinking many noticed it.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 2:02 am    

I don't like playing in t-shirts unless they're plain, colored and tidy. But I prefer button-down shirts, usually in the sorts of prints James May would wear.
Jeans: clean, dark and pressed (sorry, I like that Mike Auldridge look).
You're putting on a show, not sitting on the damn patio

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 4:18 am     Dress up

appearance is part of professionalism. Try to look like someone who expects to be paid for services rendered.

If it's alt country or a singer/songwriter, I'll drop it down a notch, wanting to blend in with the act, but still, look like a pro.

If you're working for tips in a dive bar, no crowd, hauling your own gear, it looks foolish if you're wearing a nudie suit. You can overdo it, but if the crowd is dressing sharper than you, you might want to try harder

It's still entertainment , "showbizz- no show, no bizz"

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 4:37 am    

Totally agree with the responses so far.

IMO, here's the thing: your visual presentation can help or hinder the audience's receptivity to your music. A lot of musicians I know hate that fact, but, you know... that's the game, right?

I personally like to think of dressing for a show as finding the right costume. In my main project we dress to emulate the 70s cosmic country look, and it's my chance to tap into my inner child and wear a cowboy hat. I also have an old western suit from the 70s that works great for this.

For a sub gig I'm doing soon, it's all modern/pop country, so I'll be wearing my selvedge jeans, boots, maybe a western shirt or nice black v-neck t-shirt and a trucker hat.

I think the key is erring on the side of "costuming", as what you're trying to do is create a little fantasy. The more you look like what an audience expects a band to look like (for your genre/sub-genre), the quicker you can seduce them into the show. The more your dress makes you look like "just another audience member", the more your band will have to work to draw them into the fantasy.

Edit - here's a photo for context:

Here's some shots where i'm slightly more formal: http://heighburners.com/galleries/345464/at-the-dakota

Whatever you do, make sure you have fun with it!

Last edited by Josh Braun on 20 May 2016 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 5:51 am    

We play older country mostly, and we try to look the part. I remember going to see Mel Tillis in Tulsa around 1974. His band was dressed in matching suits with lots of sequins. They looked really sharp and played like the master professional musicians that they were. You knew you were seeing a country star and his band. We try to give out audience good music and a professional appearance, a good entertainment value for the money the spend to see us.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 6:12 am    

There ya go. The band is feelin' good.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 6:24 am    

We dress up EVERY show. We work 3-4 nights a week and have probably 10 different combos of matching shirts, ties, pants and hats (we are in Texas where the men are men and the sheep are real nervous)! I cannot tell you how many times we are complimented on the way we dress. The usual comment is they like it because it shows respect for the crowd. Professional always wins! People are tired of seeing t-shirts and ball caps. It shows no respect for the people that paid money to see the entertainers. To me it's like playing the Opry in torn jeans, ball cap and sunglasses. No respect for what brung you! I will say that it has elevated our group into more jobs and that 's the name of the game. Even though we play traditional country we have 0 complaints. (steel guitar and fiddle) as leads. No fuzzy guitars here.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 7:10 am    

A Texan told me one time that "I judge a man by his boots and hat". Very Happy
He was from Pflugerville.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 8:32 am    

Here in Amarillo, whether rock or country about anything goes. Our band, Lindsey Lane, dress OK. We don't dress alike or all western but neat and clean. Some of our gigs I'll wear coat and tie, others Hawaiian shirts and red sneakers depending on venue. If we were a hardcore country band,like I wish we were and some jobs I've played, yeah I'm all pressed up, hat, or as close as I can get to what they want.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 8:51 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
A Texan told me one time that "I judge a man by his boots and hat". Very Happy
He was from Pflugerville.

In a business situation like sales, I used to look at a man's boots and his wristwatch. His jeans might be worn and dirty, but if he's wearing $1000 boots and has a Rolex on his wrist, he probably owns the big-ass ranch he's been working on.

Pflugerville's a nice town, I used to live up there.

The style of dress depends on the gig and the audience demographics, and I try to match the band/crowd. If it's a summertime T-shirt and ballcap gig I can do that (ballcap worn correctly), likewise a Scully/Rockmount gig, and I have western suits and a tuxedo (two, actually... don't ask)

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 9:38 am    

Gig venue should dictate proper attire...
outside, 90+ degrees

inside, big dollaH w/multiton a/c...

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 10:27 am     Looking good

lookin sharp is all that matters . When i played out years ago we wore black leather pants with a beatle shirt and silver belts along with nice looking demi type shoes plus we always always had our hair looking sharp or combed that is lol i forgot the black leather vest was there also just looking good means alot to your audiance plus a pleasent attitude goes along way .

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 11:42 am    

A lot of my shows are behind older one-time famous acts that now just travel around doing smaller shows. The protocol we use is that the band wears all black and whoever the star is dresses as they wish.
I've played behind guys like Jack Green in his sparkling Nudie suit and in contrast behind Stonewall Jackson in his jeans and tee shirt. Basic black works no matter what they wear.
JB

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 11:47 am    

I prefer playing steel in a t-shirt because when I play steel in a long sleeve shirt, I have to adjust the sleeve to adjust the bar with cerebral palsy in my left hand. When I play with a t-shirt on, it makes it easier for me to adjust the bar if I need to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 12:22 pm    

A singer once told us, the people you are playing for wish they were you!..if they wear grey suits all day at work....don't were grey suits!!..We used to get some of our outfits at upscale Black clothing stores....or from acting company's...later we had years of getting our duds custom made..Larry Very Happy

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 1:36 pm    

Wear black. It helps a little hiding the belly.

Preston Briggs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 2:23 pm     Re: How important is appearance ???

I've heard it's quite important.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 4:07 pm    

Proper attire, neat look. No shorts or tees unless its a hot dog grilling on the patio. Whether we like it or not most paying customers want to see a band that has got it together somewhat. You are judged by your appearance like it or not. I know I would not hire a band in my club if I had one that looked like a bunch of skid row bums. If you want to be a working band look the part. Just my 2 cents, J.R. Rose

Jason Duguay

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 4:31 pm    

This bit of Monk's advice always stuck with me. Among other things he notes "Look sharp as possible."

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 5:48 pm    

Now That's cool !

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 6:12 pm    

I agree with Herb. Depends on situation.

Last edited by Bobby Hearn on 22 May 2016 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 9:41 pm     How important is apperance ???

When I played steel with Country Justice it was great. Wear my dark pants, Boots, The band leader furnished our shirts. They belonged to him, His wife washed, ironed and kept buttons tight. We wore about 4 different shirts. He gave them to us at the gig and picked them up when our gig was over. He had clothes that matched colors in the shirts. One neat group on stage.
He stated once that by him owning the shirts, They were washed together and all looked identical. And no one could wear the wrong shirt to a gig.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2016 5:05 pm    

Back in the day when my wife and our band Lou Rose & The Entertainers, we supplied the shirts. She would laundry them and we took them to the gig and then we took back home with us. They were nothing fancy or sparkly but were all the same color and always looked good. We always had a lot of good comments on how the band looked. Presentation is important, J.R. Rose