The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Russ Pahl's steel...
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 4:39 pm    

Maybe it's just me.... but I've been looking at this steel for the past few days. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but I'm actually starting to dig it quite a bit... we'll see if that passes. What do ya'll think of Russ' steel?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 6:21 pm    

I like it. The expression control on deck is a cool thing. Eddy Dunlap has a cool, odd Sho Pro as well. Maybe less going on internally but I think it's long scale D9.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 7:16 pm    

I thought that Stu Schulman's two 1950's chrome dinette set formica Desert Rose guitars were "retro," but this one is straight out of "Happy Days!"

The Fonz says "... whoa!"

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 8:11 pm    

hello? this has been around a couple years at least. on the nashville tv show. in youtubes, write ups and articles.
russ designed it before the eddy dunlap one. show pro offers it as a custom model.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 9:04 pm    

I really like this concept that Show-Pro's been doing.
One of these as a S-11 with a low E string would be awesome.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 1:29 am    

Totally cool!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 5:02 am    

I dig it.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 6:55 am    

i think show pro is a class act. not only did they take on continuing the beloved sho~bud vibe and look, but they did it with updated superior mechanics, finishes, and whatever. the instruments are beautiful. they seem to be very in touch with the modern working player and willing to go with whatever crazy custom ideas you want. plus, it seems their prices are in the ballpark with everyone else.

i don't really get how all current steel companies can keep their prices as low as they have.
show pro has also displayed excellent customer service. bravo!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 May 2016 7:51 am    

Not my taste, but it's not my guitar. I can understand it's appeal within a certain demographic.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 8:11 am    

Skip Edwards wrote:
I really like this concept that Show-Pro's been doing.
One of these as a S-11 with a low E string would be awesome.

I agree. I'm relatively new to steel, but I can definitely see how a low E string would make sense. I'd like to have a bit more bassy capability like a 12 string, but at the same time I like the E9 configuration. I also feel like these kinds of concepts can help modernize the steel and make it more applicable in different types of music.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 8:14 am    

chris ivey wrote:
hello? this has been around a couple years at least. on the nashville tv show. in youtubes, write ups and articles.
russ designed it before the eddy dunlap one. show pro offers it as a custom model.

It's new to me, but I'm still relatively new to steel. I'm sure I revive lots of old subjects on the forum... Confused

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 11:55 am    

[quote="chris ivey"]i think show pro is a class act. not only did they take on continuing the beloved sho~bud vibe and look, but they did it with updated superior mechanics, finishes, and whatever. the instruments are beautiful. they seem to be very in touch with the modern working player and willing to go with whatever crazy custom ideas you want. plus, it seems their prices are in the ballpark with everyone else.

gotta love the finishes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 4:55 pm    

Jeff is a class act also, Russ's guitar is totally cool and purpose built. An instant classic.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 4:49 am     I Remember

I remembert selling Russ an old ZB Steel guitar that I had for sale, I think back in the 90's, I wonder if he still has that ZB? I think he also got a pac seat from me also.

Ernie Pollock
301-264-4172 Smile

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 6:08 am    

Wonder what this Steel Sales for?
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 1:14 pm    

I think for the steel guitar to survive, they will have to be pushed to other limits and that guitar does that. I would like to have one but don't want pink. Smile

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 2:15 pm    

i like skip's idea of an extra string.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 4:57 pm    

Yeah, Chris. I had a little seat time at an 11 stringer yesterday at Jim Palenscar's, and it was pretty cool, having that low E. Especially if you play in a 4 piece where you have to comp some rhythm...
The Show-Pro concept is way cool...hat's off to them for doing it. Wonder who first thought of asking them to do it... Russ Pahl, maybe?
But I think I can guess where the inspiration might have come from...from that true originator, Sneaky Pete.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 6:59 pm    

That's cool Skip!! I should have mine from Show Pro soon..

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 10:02 am    

I wish Nashville was putting something more interesting in front of him to play though.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 10:15 am    

what do you mean, burt?

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 10:48 am    

Well on one hand he played on the latest Don Henley album which I have in my car right now. Great album. On the other hand there is Florida Georgia Line...

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 2:23 pm    

I like the pink one that belongs to Russ, but Wally - wow - I'm way more into that green, seafoam, or whatever it is. I have seen some great looking Strats in that same shade.

Alluding to what Chris Ivey pointed out earlier in the thread, we have been down the road on this guitar and what Russ has been doing with it in other threads in the past couple years.

Seems like most of the threads here that are truly new and haven't been touched upon prior is when somebody dies. Otherwise we are really good at recycling...just ask Jerry Garcia! Laughing

Don't have time to chase it down and supply the link right now, but Russ Pahl in talking about this steel in a Premier Guitar article, and I'm paraphrasing so don't quote me - said something along the lines of "I figured out about 15 years ago I'm never going to beat out Paul Franklin so I thought I'd better come up with a different approach."

So Russ has supplied steel playing styles and effects that might be out of the box thinking for the classic E9th approach and he apparently does okay for himself. I might not walk across the street to see Florida Georgia Line but were I called for a session to play on their next album I'd show up smiling and ask, "where do you want me to set up, boss?"

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 4:57 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdtvenGLWHw

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 8:30 pm    

The guitar is neat, but what gets me is his set-up. Are there really no knee levers? And only two pedals. Hard to believe he wouldn't want the E-F#, if only for unisons with the first string. I say this because he's the master of the effects and little parts.

Love the little demo that Bill linked above. What a cool player!

Joe