The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E13 to C6 conversion
Fred Vanderhoek

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 2:05 pm    

My First thread started here...I have the "chord Conversion book and E13, C6 neck charts. I was wondering if I should attempt it or just convert my C6 to E13 with a new set of strings. I am talking a 6 string lap steel. I just bought the Don Helms, Your Cheatin' Heart Book. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 2:13 am    

C6 ↔ E13

E ↔ E
C ↔ C#
A ↔ B
G ↔ G#
E ↔ E
C ↔ D
A ↔ B
G ↔ G#

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 2:29 am    

If you want to play the Helms arrangements with an E13 tuning, you have to put a G# on the first string. You're not going to be able to tune the C6 strings this high. You really have two options. Either change the strings and tune up to E13, or leave the C6 tuning in place and play the arrangements as written. This will work, but will not have the same timbre as Helms, because you will be playing 4 half steps lower than he did. Or transpose the arrangements up 4 half-steps (just add four to every fret number in the tabs) and you will have the sound. (Almost - the string gages and tensions won't sound exactly the same, but for your purposes, that is probably inconsequential.)

Fred Vanderhoek

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 6:06 am    

Thank you, guys. I messed around with "Your Cheatin' Heart" I only converted the first page just to see/hear if it would work. Like you say similar but no cigar. So I like learning C6 tunes, so I will just get me another lap steel and have only for E13th tuning. I only wish I would have discovered lap steel a long time ago. I feel this is what I was meant for in playing music. I still love all my 6 sting guitars, but lap steel just dose it for me so much better. Cheers!

Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 6:41 pm    

i agree with what was said above about not being able to fake the don helms sound real well with normal c6. even on higher frets it's no good, since you won't get the same sustain as mr. helms. this is the only reason i have a D8 console ... Smile

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 9:54 am    

Yes, Fred, you've stumbled onto the best solution for this, and all similar situations . . . just get more steels!

Fred Vanderhoek

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 6:53 pm    

True story about more steels. In fact I am over- hauling a Tele for a lady. She has a early Kaufman Fender lap steel so I told her I would overhaul her Tele in trade for the lap steel. So now I am at (3) 6 strings. Eyeing a 8 string. Also looking at a proper Lap Steel Amp as well.
While I am at it. I have the Don Helms. Your cheaten' Heart Book They have the string sizes needed to set up a 6 string for E13th. I took about a half a day trying to make a proper set of E13 strings sizes recommended in the book. I finally narrowed it down to 2 sources. Kind of a pain just make a proper set of stings, a little pricy too (2 sets of strings about $20.00). Any recommendations to help simplify this process?

Terence Palmer

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2016 4:33 am    

Scotty's makes an E13 set, which is what I use. It's a little different for the fourth and fifth strings, but it always felt right to me.

http://www.juststrings.com/sit-sc-e13th-6.html?cmp=nextopia&kw=sit-sc-e13th-6

Fred Vanderhoek

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2016 6:28 am    

Thank you Sir, Look's like they will fill the bill'
I will give them a try. Here are the differences:
E13th tuning string sizes.

...Scotty's...........Don Helms Book
1, G# .010P..............G# .010P
2, E.. .014P..............E... .014P
3, C# .017P..............C# .017P
4, B.. .017P..............B.. .020P
5, G# .020P.............G# .024P
6, E.. .030W.............E.. .030W

The string I was having a problem with was .024P. That kind of was a difficult string to find.

Fred Vanderhoek

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 5:11 am    

If any of you out there want to use a .024P string here is a link for a (2) pack, (singles) by De'Addario at "Guitar Center":

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario/NYPL024-Plain-Steel-Guitar-Strings-2-Pack-024.gc

Frank Agliata

Jersey Shore, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 5:23 am    

I've been doing much experimenting with different tunings and changing strings often. I discovered a fairly cheap solution . ..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=rogue+bulk+strings

12 packs of bulk strings, all different gauges, relatively inexpensive . .