The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pros and Cons of tuner pegs above or below headstock on a re
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 12:22 pm    

I'm lucky enough to own a beautiful rosewood and tiger maple Benoit square neck resonator and love it! The tuner pegs are on the bottom and I've never given much thought to it. Then I decided to buy a backup dobro for gigs/jams that might not warrant such an expensive instrument and acquired a 1980's Dobro 60D at a fair price. When I brought it to have a Fishman pickup installed, the tech called and asked if I wanted to keep the tuner pegs on top. I didn't notice they were any different had never thought about it before. To make it more confusing he thought they may have been moved from the bottom to the top, although couldn't be sure. When we checked images of others online, we both found examples of it both ways.
I opted to move them to the bottom like my Benoit, but now I'm curious what benefits or reasons are there for having pegs on top or bottom?
Which way is more popular?[/u]

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 1:10 pm    

I once questioned about why some old Rickenbacher Fry pans had the keys on the top side while others were on the bottom. I was told that the long scale guitars had the tuners on the top to make it more within reach, while the short scale had the tuners on the bottom.

Billy Easton

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 2:19 pm    

I like the pegs on top. They are just easier to use there for me.
Also, I am a bit clumsy, as most old folks get, and if I bonk the head on the stand or whatever else, the pegs are protected when facing up.
Not horribly scientific, just personal preference.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 3:29 pm    

I prefer a solid headstock with the tuners to the sides, same as a standard acoustic guitar. when I ordered my OMI Dobro in '88, I asked the guy in the store to order it with a solid peghead with die cast tuners. Slotted heads are a pita for me to string and just about all the high end builders use solid heads....that's nothing to do with your question though.

Anyway when it came in, it was a slotted headstock with the plastic tuners on top. He said that was just what was in stock at the factory.

But, if I had to choose a slotted head, I'd want the tuners on top. Seems easier for me that way. I have no idea which is more popular.

I think a lot of Nationals were on the bottom.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 5:54 pm    

i like em on top!