The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Step up from Zum stage one
Sean Jenkins

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 5:33 pm    

I got a stage one awhile back to test the pedal steel waters. I can say I'm officially hooked and looking to upgrade. I'm trying to get an idea of what steels would be a good improvement in sound and quality and how much I would need to spend to get a noticeable improvement over the stage one. Looking for a single neck, 3 foot and 4 knee, preferably a humbucking pickup.

Checking out the steels fo sale I see a Dekley, BMI S-10, GFI Ultra that are relatively affordable. Would any of these be good?

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 5:47 pm    

IMHO, I would stick with the stage one if you are happy with the way it plays and sounds, unless of course you are looking for a D10. For my money, I think it sounds as good and plays as well as any steel I have played. But, as they say, your mileage may vary. And I also realize, trust me on this, haha, the search is half of the fun, if not more !! Have fun !! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 6:08 pm     Step up

The GFI Ultra is a very good steel. I've owned one for almost 5 years and never had any issues with it. I've only broke a string once during that time. It's lightweight and has a good tone,and easy to play. Also,they're a very low maintainence guitar. I've never played any of the other brands that you listed,but you wouldn't go wrong with a GFI.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 6:54 pm    

The BMI is a great guitar and very easy to set up as you prefer. Wes

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 8:09 pm    

Sean
I wasnt meaning to sound negative in any way towards another brand of steel guitar, and I realize the stage one is set from the factory. I have owned many different brands, and put in a plug for a Justice Pro Lite also...they are extremely well built steels, light but rock solid ! You cant go wrong and Fred would build it the way you want it ! Might give him a call and tell him your needs.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 9:00 pm    

Sean, the Stage One is more than adequate for anybody from a newbie to a players in a local band. Its only disadvantage is that the way the pedal and knee levers are set up can't be changed.

Now many of us go through a period of experimentation with different setups. When you reach that point, it will be time to get a new steel. Till then, stick with the Stage One.

Meanwhile, think about what your ultimate goals are. If If you want to play country, you'll want another 10 string, preferably with 5 knee levers. you're interested in playing jazz or western swing, you'll want a double neck. If you want to play rock, you'll want a 12 string, which will let you play power chords.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 2:37 am    

Having read all of the above I will add this, as a previous Stage One owner . I had purchased the Stage One specifically to use on quick in/out gigs with a single neck so I wouldn't have to lug a D10.

Yes they are nice and can/will do the job but they are lite weight . Some folks love them to death and will play them as a primary axe. No argument.

BUT however, for me , I found that it was too lite weight compared to a full bodied PRO model S10 , I found it "traveled" too much for me when using both left or right knee levers.

I sold it soon after I bought it and now use a late 70's Sho Bud Pro I full bodied Steel for those quick in/out gigs.

This is not a dig on the Stage One, they are fine Instruments, it's just my own opinion/experience. I suspect I had the issue as I typically play a full bodied Steel which doesn't travel when I hit knee levers.

Some may think I am nuts, and that may be the case but at the end of the day I didn't like the way it played compared to a PRO Steel. In this scenario, unlike a Twin Reverb , I wanted more weight ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Sean Jenkins

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 12:59 pm    

Thanks for the input everyone. Still have to think about it. The sensible side of me says the Stage One is good for now and the gear buying side of me says it sure would be nice to have a new pedal steel. I appreciate all the info.

Sean Jenkins

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 9:49 am    

I decided to get the GFI and so far I'm very happy with my decision. First impression is that the overall construction and feel of the instrument is a noticeable upgrade from the Stage One. Feels nice and sturdy, very smooth on the foot pedal and knee lever changes, sets up quickly, and the small details in things like the legs, knee levers, foot pedals etc are a step up. It's also lightweight and comes in a small case (like the Stage One) which is important to me because I often bring multiple instruments to a gig.

In terms of tone, I like it so far. Full and responsive sound through my 68 Princeton jamming at home. I haven't had a chance to record or use it in a live band setting so I won't comment too much other than to say so far, so good.

Also the guitar came in excellent condition. For a relatively small increase in price from new Stage One to used GFI, it really feels like I got a brand new pro quality guitar.

Thanks again for all the input, I feel like I made a good purchase that will last me a long while. Now it's time to get back to practicing.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 11:31 am    

You did well. GFIs are excellent instruments.

Did you get a single or double neck?

Sean Jenkins

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 12:53 pm    

Got a single for now, might upgrade eventually if I get to play on bigger stages more often. Even getting a single neck to fit is a little tricky in some places. For old country and western swing style tunes I use a Melbert 8 string tuned to E6.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 2:50 pm    

You don't have to add another steel to get 6th sounds. Just flatten your 4+8 strings and at open strings, you get a B6. A+B pedals with the 7th string, open, you get an A6.

Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2016 11:20 am    

April 30, 2016,

Hello,
If you have an older Stage One you can upgrade it with the new humbucking Stage One pickup.

You can hear the sound here

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2508232&sid=5b121fad6eba74e784a70ff17be77e12

Best regards,
Henning K.
Playing on YouTube: Search on my name and pedal steel guitar
-
piano & keyboard:
www.henning-kock.dk
-
ZumSteel Stage One 3F 4K. Year 2018

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2016 3:07 pm    

why would you do that? everyone raves about the sound of a stage one the way they come.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2016 9:06 pm    

When you have found everything there is on a Stage One then look. I play one on a show here in Branson and it sounds and plays every bit as good as my other, more expensive guitars. But if you must get a Zum Encore.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 2:24 am    

Listen to Johnny. The Encore is way under rated. I have owned many,many pro models and I can assure you the Zum Encore is right up there with the best.

Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2016 10:16 am    

have you sold your stage one yet and if not how much do you want for it. thanks sid

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 May 2016 12:10 pm    

Johnny Cox wrote:
When you have found everything there is on a Stage One then look. I play one on a show here in Branson and it sounds and plays every bit as good as my other, more expensive guitars. But if you must get a Zum Encore.

+1. For the money, the Encore is the best deal on an all pull guitar there is. Where else are you gonna get a Bruce Zumsteg designed guitar loaded with 5X4 for $1600 bucks ? Heck, I'm considering an encore for myself !

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 10:31 pm    

Dustin Rigsby wrote:
Johnny Cox wrote:

+1. For the money, the Encore is the best deal on an all pull guitar there is. Where else are you gonna get a Bruce Zumsteg designed guitar loaded with 5X4 for $1600 bucks ? Heck, I'm considering an encore for myself !

If I thought I could learn a new knee configuration I would try the StageOne. My 6139 had Es on the right, purchased new in 1973. The Encore will be my next guitar (God willing, and the creek don't rise.)

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 7:26 am    

I was new to the pedal steel and asked members what I should buy and it came down to a resounding yes for the Encore.

After a great deal of thought as I had none locally to advise me I went for it and it is the best retirement investment I have ever made.

I have taught myself to play with the aid of this wonderful team on this forum and I get a great deal of pleasure with this cracking instrument. It has an excellent tone and I feel you will be well pleased with it. EVERY BEST WISH and SUCCESS JAMES TAYLOR

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 5:57 pm    

i've never heard a complaint from a gfi owner.
norm hamlet and ralph mooney can't be all wrong.
and mike sigler (i think?) great players.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 6:55 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
i've never heard a complaint from a gfi owner.
norm hamlet and ralph mooney can't be all wrong.
and mike sigler (i think?) great players.

GFI also makes a great product. I played Mike's keyless several years ago and quite liked it. In fact, I don't think there is a bad pedal steel being made today. It just depends on how many pesos one is willing to part with. I'm a notorious cheapskate.... I want it for next to nothing Laughing

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 May 2016 4:06 am    

I find myself more often preferring to play keyless steels. I'm a bit tired of the 3rd string on the E9th tuning popping. OUCH

The downside is that I then tend to procrastinate changing strings stevet