The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Start Up Files
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 10:43 am    

I'm trying to git rid of files on my start up list that I really don't need on there. So far I'm down to 5. It's starting up quicker all ready. My question is on my old Windows 7, do I need these 3 files?
#1 Catalyst Control Center Launcher
#2 HPsysdrv
#3 Microsoft Default Manager

Tried looking to see what these 3 files do, but most help sites say there outdated. So was just wondering if I can go to remove programs and git rid of them?
Appreciate any help you can give. George
Very Happy

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 11:13 am    

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but if you're just trying to speed up the PC boot process, there are usually a few BIOS items that affect how long it takes for the PC to boot.

If you're trying to eliminate unnecessary start-up items, look at the file path to those items in msconfig and go there. Is that a program you use, and want to keep on your system? If not, "remove" the program, and the start-up entry should disappear with it.

Item 1 in that list, "Catalyst Control Center Launcher", is part of an AMD graphics driver package, and provides a way to change AMD graphics card settings. Does your PC have such a card installed? If so, you probably need item 1.

The second item, HPsysdrv, most likely is part of an HP printer driver package. Do you have one installed? If so, you probably need that item too.

I found the following information about item #3:

"Name
Microsoft Default Manager
Filename
DefMgr.exe
Command
"%programfiles%\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Default Manager\DefMgr.exe" -resume
Description

Bundled with MSN Toolbar now known as Bing Bar, this file is also installed with Windows Live Essentials. It sets the browser search defaults and notifies you when other programs try to change them. If you don't use this toolbar, you don't need this program.

Note that this program includes the option of sending Microsoft further information about the configuration of your computer.

File Location
%programfiles%\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Default Manager\DefMgr.exe
Startup Type
This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry."

Personally, I'd dump it. It's non-essential, and it calls home to MS.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 5:12 pm     Re: Start Up Files

George Redmon wrote:
I'm trying to git rid of files on my start up list that I really don't need on there. So far I'm down to 5. It's starting up quicker all ready. My question is on my old Windows 7, do I need these 3 files?
#1 Catalyst Control Center Launcher
#2 HPsysdrv
#3 Microsoft Default Manager

Tried looking to see what these 3 files do, but most help sites say there outdated. So was just wondering if I can go to remove programs and git rid of them?
Appreciate any help you can give. George
Very Happy

If you are referring to what's checked in the startup tab of "msconfig", Windows will start with nothing at all checked there. It needs none of those items.

It would be a good practice to allow anti-virus to start with every boot.

I'd make a list of what I remove from the list and then see if you lack desired functionality. If you do, consider re-checking an item.

Most things will run when called upon to run, even if not checked as a "startup" item.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 7:12 pm    

Thanks Guys, I was just doing some house cleaning and getting rid of some programs I wasn't using or needed. Appreciate all the help. George Very Happy