The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  leg removal
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 12:59 pm    

I used black axle grease on the inner threads, and yes , it got on my leg bag.
Frank Carter's plastic washers on the Infinity work great.

While I don't expect it to be an issue, I might add a dab of glue so I don't lose one.

I've never had a leg seize up on me, I'm just in the habit of lubing metal surfaces to avoid any problems.

Plenty of good advice here as usual.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 2:23 pm    

Some version of this dry lube would be my preference - available at most auto supply or home centers.
And to Ian's point about dissimilar metals, if you're around the house, a little heat from a hair dryer on the aluminum might ease that leg grip.

Allen Erven

tacoma, Washington
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 5:59 pm     Getting over tight legs lose.

I have found over the years, if you put the leg in the your deep freeze for 1 hour your wife can get it lose.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 12:29 pm    

If you have one that's stuck, you can get a band wrench at automotive stores. I have one for oil filters. Don't really know what they're call, but they're handy to have around for all sorts of round things that are stuck or need tightening without marring the surface.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 12:51 pm    

Harbor freight $4.95 for set of 2.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 12:56 pm    

Thanks Bill!
JB
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 3:38 am    

I always carry a pair of thin gloves with the palm side coated with sticky rubber, that I get in Big Lots (the store). I use em to tighten the legs too. Easy to fit in the steel case, cheap, and they'll give you a much improved grip on anything smooth, and slippery. -Jake-

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 7:04 am    

I used to carry in my steel guitar case a 4”x4” piece of rubber mesh shelf liner because my wife discovered it to be very helpful in unscrewing jar lids. It took up virtually no space, and worked great on over-tightened guitar legs. (And yes, I had lubricated the threads.)

Then years ago, I read one of Bobbe Seymour’s SGF posts about his steel guitar legs becoming very loose after repeated assembly and disassembly. He constantly had to over-tighten the legs, which wore out the threads and the guitar would wobble. He solved this problem by drilling holes through the end-plate of his favorite guitar and installing big ugly screws to keep the legs tight.
Yikes!

This got me to reframe the problem: “How can I get the legs to stay in place without over-tightening them?” I carefully examined the threaded part of the legs. The threaded part of the leg on my Emmons D-10 is 1/2” in diameter, and there is a 3/8” diameter groove just below the threads.

SOLUTION:
As an experiment, I bought four plumbing O-rings at the hardware store (3/8” inside diameter), and popped one in that groove on each leg. Cost was about $1 for four O-rings.

RESULT:
When I tightened the legs just snugly, the O-rings acted like little lock-washers, and the legs never loosened. And it was easy to unscrew the legs.
Eureka!

I thought that I might have to replace the O-rings every few years, but I installed them probably 15 years ago, and the original O-rings are still in place and looking fine. And I never again had to resort to my piece of shelf liner to loosen the legs. Smile

-Dave

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 10:58 am    

The wrenches are called "strap wrenches" in the construction field. They come in all sizes you would ever need.