The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Internet Protection For Mac?
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2016 8:04 pm    

I have heard that it isn't as easy to get a virus on a Mac Vs Windows. I don't really care if this is true or not because I don't want a Virus no matter how hard/easy it is. With that being said, I just purchased a MacBook Pro and want to keep it as secure as possible. I sure would appreciate some advice from you Mac users.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 3:59 pm    

While it's been historically true that Macs are much less susceptible to viruses, trojan horses and malware, as Macs get more popular, they've become more of a target for hackers and nefarious bad guys. I have a free app, Sophos Anti-Virus, that monitors everything on my 15" MacBook Pro, and puts bad software into Quarantine where I can delete it from the computer, and also get more info on the bug if I want. It's a legit app, and seems to work fine

Just don't open attachments via email from ANYONE you don't trust, and bad stuff may still come via friends, so if some weird wink lands in an email that looks suspicious and unsolicited, just delete the whole email, and empty your email app's trash to completely get rid of it, and let your friend or acquaintance know via a fresh email from you that they've been hacked as a helpful courtesy.

Additionally, watch out for hijack ware or ransom ware, usually sneaks in through your browser, on the Mac there are easy ways to get around that, just Google search for that info.

I hope this helps, Todd! Welcome to the Mac world, there's a lot to love about it.

Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 6:34 pm    

Thanks for the info John. Mac is a totally different world compared to using windows all my life. It definitely has a learning curve, but each day I learn something new or at least I try...LOL. Kind of like the PSG. I may have to reach out from time to time to get some help.

Thanks again!!

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 6:36 pm    

Trend Micro has Mac protection in some of their anti-virus and Internet security programs. You can find out more on my own affiliate page for Trend Micro (which I use on all my devices).
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 8:12 pm    

Thanks Wiz. I have thought about using Kaspersky( I'm not even sure if it is compatible with a MacBook Pro). Have any of you had any experience with Kaspersky?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 10:10 pm    

Todd Goad wrote:
Thanks Wiz. I have thought about using Kaspersky( I'm not even sure if it is compatible with a MacBook Pro). Have any of you had any experience with Kaspersky?

No, I'm afraid I haven't. But, they are a major player, based in Russia. I do know that Trend Micro has Mac protection and installers (and Android). I don't own a Mac though, so I cannot speak from direct experience. I will investigate for you if you wish.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 10:17 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
Todd Goad wrote:

No, I'm afraid I haven't. But, they are a major player, based in Russia. I do know that Trend Micro has Mac protection and installers (and Android). I don't own a Mac though, so I cannot speak from direct experience. I will investigate for you if you wish.

Here is what I've learned so far.
Quote:

Trend Micro™ Antivirus for Mac® protects you and your privacy from online threats, dangerous websites, and identity thieves so you can do great things online safely.

Blocks dangerous websites
Protects your privacy on social media
Guards against identity theft

Requires Apple Macintosh computer with an Intel® Core™ Processor and at least 2 GB of RAM.

Mac OS® X version 10.11 "El Capitan"
Mac OS® X version 10.10 "Yosemite"
Mac OS® X version 10.9 "Mavericks"

Apple® Safari® 7.0 or higher
Mozilla® Firefox® (The newest version and the most recent previous version of Mozilla Firefox)
Google® Chrome™ (The newest version and the most recent previous version of Google Chrome)
$29.95 for one year

If this interests you, please consider using the links on my Trend Micro Internet Security page to make your purchase.

Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 11:29 pm    

Wiz, I appreciate your help!! If I decide to go with Trend Micro, I will definitely go through your page.

Thanks Again,
Todd