The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quicktime Recommended to be uninstalled
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2016 8:11 am    

Homeland Security has issued a notice that Quicktime should be uninstalled from Windows PC's (not Apple PC's) due to security issues and the fact that Apple is discontinuing Quicktime for Windows PC's.

Here is the article from Yahoo.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/us-advises-deleting-quicktime-windows-computers-201217977.html

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2016 8:20 am    

Quicktime was one of the first programs to teach me the lesson (on my Windows PC) that software companies have contempt for me and want to take over my computer regardless of what I might want. QT (and Realtime--another extreme culprit) was very invasive and disruptive. The fact that I didn't (and don't) know what I was doing is irrelevant. In fact, they took advantage of it. This is one reason that I reject the idea of "MS = bad guys, Apple = good guys."
Anyway--I ditched and steered clear of QT long ago.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jack.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2016 11:21 am    

Thanks. I don't use Quicktime and Realtime any more. They will be removed from my computer today.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 6:27 am     Hold off on uninstalling Quickime until you read my post.

You may want to hold off on uninstalling Apple Quicktime for Windows until you read my post about how uninstalling it breaks other programs.

If you don't use any of the programs or cloud apps requiring Quicktime, uninstall it or leave it uninstalled. If something you need stops functioning properly without QT, download it and reinstall the latest version.

This applies to Windows computers only.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 8:18 am    

I have iTunes, as I have an iPhone. The Apple updater has been updating all the Apple associated products except Quicktime. It hasn't been updated since I switched to Win 10 last year.

According to a post on the Cakewalk Sonar forum, the QT application is the security "risk". Disable QT from running for media applications. Programs that just rely on Quicktime for graphic applications such as the CD disc label program Discus (that I use), should be OK.

If it ultimately turns out that there is more than just the QT application, I can run Discus on my Win 7 OS that is now "off line" (NIC disabled).

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 8:46 am    

Jack;
This situation is what a German friend of mine, from a long time ago, would refer to as "a schlemozzle."
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog