The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anti virus programs
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2016 8:41 am    

I currently have 3 programs on my computer. I have Avast and SuperAntiSpyware free versions and I have a trial program of Malwarebytes Anti-malware that expires in 2 days and reverts back to the free version. I use the SuperAntispyware to remove cookies from the computer each time I log off. I usually find 50-100 cookies each time. Of the three which should I keep. The reason I ask is I am thinking of installing a paid version but I don't know which one to chose. Do each of them do different things or do I need to keep more than just one of them..

Last edited by Harold Dye on 19 May 2016 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2016 9:52 am     Re: Anti virus programs

Harold Dye wrote:
I have Avast and SuperAntiSpyware free versions and I have a trial program of Malwarebytes Anti-malware that expires in 2 days and reverts back to the free version. I use the SuperAntispyware to remove cookies from the computer each time I log off. I usually find 50-100 cookies each time. Of the three which should I keep. The reason I ask is I am thinking of installing a paid version but I don't know which one to chose. Do each of them do different things or do I need to keep more than just one of them.

There are free tools that will remove cookies--such as CCleaner, but I generally don't worry much about cookies.

I'd probably go for the paid version of Malwarebytes. The advantages over the free version:

Paid will prevent malware from getting on your PC. Free will not. Free will only remove malware after you do a manual scan.

Paid can be scheduled to run whenever you want. Free runs only on demand.

Paid automatically updates definitions. I think the free version must be manually updated.

The last I heard, Superantispyware was mostly redundant with Malwarebytes. It's also a good program, but if you use it only to remove cookies, you can get that functionality with CCleaner or other free programs.

I haven't really kept up with free Avast, but as far as I know it's one of the better free anti-virus programs out there.

I use paid Malwarebytes Anti-malware, free CCleaner, free Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus, and free Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

I think the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware is about 25 bucks a year. If your risk profile is pretty low, you may just want to stick with the free version and run it manually once a week or so. It has the same "healing" properties as the paid version, which has only those 3 advantages I mentioned.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 8:19 pm    

Kaspersky Total Protection will take care of everything. It has been the best for me so far.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 5:56 am    

At the time of posting this, Malwarebytes was giving me a free upgrade trial for the paid version. It expired the next day and went back to the free version. I don't think it is of any value to have 3 free versions of different virus protection. At about the time the free upgrade expired with Malwarebytes I got notification of Windows critical updates. I always do manual updates for Win because of the Win 10 thing. Now a bigger problem has come up I have been trying to install the Win updates since 4/26 and it will not do it. When I click on them it says it is updating but it is not. The counter that is displayed at the time is not moving. I have tried numerous times with no luck. Any ideas as to what the problem would be. I have considered restoring to an earlier date but I will probably do more damage than I am capable of fixing. Any ideas??

Last edited by Harold Dye on 11 May 2016 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 6:23 am     Pc

I use McAfee which is provided free by my ISP and I use the paid version of Malwarebytes.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 6:29 am    

Harold Dye wrote:
I don't think it is of any valve to have 3 free versions of different virus protection.

I agree. It's somewhat of a contentious issue, but if you Google "using more than one antivirus program" you'll see many authoritative pages, like this one, advising that it can cause conflicts and errors. And personally, I don't want to use up all my OS resources on doing that; I need some for applications. The more "stuff" Windows has to run at once, the more resources are consumed. I personally just use Microsoft Security Essentials and the built-in Windows firewall. MSE doesn't rate at the top of the AV apps available, but like many others, I'm behind a NAT router, which offers added isolation from malware.

Quote:
...I have been trying to install the Win updates since 4/26 and it will not do it... Any ideas??

There's not a simple, easy solution for that...I went through it recently, and I don't remember what, if anything, I did to fix it. Mine's updating again now. But if you Google "Windows 7 won't update" or similar, you'll see lots of things that can cause the problem. One I remember is that files Windows uses to keep track of updates installed can become corrupted, and you delete it(them), IIRC. Search and you'll find the details. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions. Good luck.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 10:56 am    

As I posted earlier I have not been able to update windows since about 4/27. Since I do manual updates the computer tells me when I have updates to be installed. I have tried on numerous occasions to update and it will not do it. I carried my computer to a tech yesterday to see if they could find the reason for this. I picked it up today and they said they could not find a reason for this. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you resolve it. I need to update because all the updates listed are for security purposes. I have dropped one of the free virus programs.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 3:35 pm    

Harold;
Check these Google results for help with not being able to update Windows.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 4:38 pm     How To Fix Ransomware

There is a program from the Netherlands that can "remove" ransomware without the financial problem of payment.

Use Bing to look for HitmanPro3. You can have a free 30 day license or there are paid options that setup the program and upgrades for 1 to 3 years.

I used this to successfully restore a ransomeware infection on a friend's computer. It's certainly cheaper than paying some crook that might be anywhere.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 4:58 pm     Re: How To Fix Ransomware

Robert Leaman wrote:
There is a program from the Netherlands that can "remove" ransomware without the financial problem of payment.

Use Bing to look for HitmanPro3. You can have a free 30 day license or there are paid options that setup the program and upgrades for 1 to 3 years.

I used this to successfully restore a ransomeware infection on a friend's computer. It's certainly cheaper than paying some crook that might be anywhere.

This is not always the case! Modern Ransomeware cannot be decrypted without a special key. If the code is cracked by security pros, that key may be available. In the case of TeslaCrypt, the criminals just threw in the towel and published the decryption key. Newer ransomeware variants actually delete files on a timed basis until you pay up.

Always check with the BleepingComputer.com malware removal forums before attempting to disinfect these infections. It is too easy to kill the messenger but leave your files undecryptable.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 2:23 am    

Harold Dye wrote:
As I posted earlier I have not been able to update windows since about 4/27............Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you resolve it.

It's a known issue that affects some more than others.

The speculation is that it's deliberate and part of Microsoft's goal of getting you to move to Windows 10 by allotting less bandwidth and priority to Windows 7 generally--hoping you will become annoyed enough with Windows 7 that you will upgrade.

Is that true? Who knows.

For all I know, the same problem may affect Windows 8 users. I don't know what operating system you use.

But it does affect some more than others and there are many ideas on how to deal with it.

Some have luck by downloading just a few select Windows updates that will then make the process much quicker for the rest.

Or you can try to just grab maybe 20 or so at a time, rather than the whole lot.

At any rate, let it search for updates for 3 or 4 hours at a time or overnight before giving up on it.

I've had it be slow, but it has always run within 3 or 4 hours.

I recently did 140 updates. It took about 18 hours, breaking the 140 up into 5 or 6 groups of 20 or 30.

In the last few days, MS had begun to offer "rollups" of updates in a single package through Windows Update. I think each package covers a month. I don't know how well it works or if everyone will immediately be offered these rollups.

But yes, Windows Update is a mess and has been for some time.

You have to play the cards you are dealt or get off Microsoft. I don't expect MS to over-exert itself for any Windows 7 issues.