The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Computer experts...XP - how long?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 4:49 am    

So, keeping in mind that I don't do any online banking or bill paying, how long will I be able to continue to use XP for my OS?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 5:36 am    

In theory at least, XP should work fine - with the software you have at present - until the machine it is on gives up its spirit.

Finding and installing upgrades for software on an old OS like that, gets increasingly difficult, and risky.

I have machines running OSes that are older than XP, that are running fine on their own. They are "locked in time" in a sense, running only on local networks, and are kept totally shielded from the internet behind "more modern" firewalls.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 5:43 am    

I would only use XP "off line" only. Not on line, even for the "safe sites" like the forum.

$250 to $300 at Wal Mart you can get a new Windows 10 machine that has more on-line safety built in.

Its not that the old trusty machine is going to go "poof" and stop working. Just that it was designed in a time when the internet was in its infancy and security was not a real issue.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 5:47 am     Re: Computer experts...XP - how long?

Donny Hinson wrote:
So, keeping in mind that I don't do any online banking or bill paying, how long will I be able to continue to use XP for my OS?

If you do all of the following things, or as many as possible, and the computer hardware doesn't fail (motherboard, CPU, etc) and your software doesn't stop running, you can keep using XP as long as you wish. The protections are listed in order of importance.

1. Operate as a "Limited" (XP Home Edition), or "Power" (XP Pro) User, rather than as a "Computer Administrator."
  2. Use active and frequently updated anti-malware and anti-virus protection that continues to support XP.
  3. Make sure you have the final updates that were released for XP, including Service Pack 3.
  4. Make sure that you use any browser other than Internet Explorer. Firefox will do nicely. Chrome is no longer supported or updated with security fixes for XP computers.
  5. Uninstall Adobe Flash and PDF Reader. Reader can be replaced with Foxit Reader. Flash just needs to go.
  6. Uninstall Java and Silverlight, if present.
  7. Update any remaining software to the final version for XP.
  8. Install NoScript and AdBlock if you use Firefox as your browser. Do not browse any websites using Internet Explorer.
  9. If you use MS Outlook or Outlook Express as your email client, use MailWasher Pro to filter out threats before you download messages into OE.
  10. If you still use MS Office, disable Macros and never enable them to view email attachments in Word or Excel documents. Ransom-ware and other Trojans are using Macros to download their evil payloads.

These are some things you can do to stay relatively safe on the Internet using XP.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 7:35 pm    

Quote:
Uninstall Adobe Flash...Flash just needs to go.

Why is that?

I'm still running XP, too. I love playing games that run on Flash.

Lee, from South Texas

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 9:06 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Quote:
Uninstall Adobe Flash...Flash just needs to go.

Why is that?

I'm still running XP, too. I love playing games that run on Flash.

Lee, from South Texas

Adobe Flash is currently the number one target for online exploit attacks. It used to be Java that was the darling of the cybercrime underground authors. There are so many exploitable code vulnerabilities in Flash that Adobe has to patch it every other month and sometimes every month.

The nature of the problem is that Flash Player runs active content. It can display a video, or create a music player, or run games, ads and execute various scripts. It is the scripting part that allows malicious code writers to cause your web browser to load external scripts that lead to attack pages. If your version of Flash is not the most current, a malicious script may run amok, downloading a malware package to your computer without your knowledge. The same script would unpack the payload and poof, you're infected with ransomware, or a banking Trojan, or some spyware or code that turns your computer into a spam relay or remote controlled attack machine.

There are hundreds if not thousands of researchers on both sides of the fence who try to find exploits in Flash. When they do, they either quietly report it to Adobe, for a very modest finder's fee - and Adobe releases a patched version - or sell it to cybercriminals who pay thousands of rubles or Bitcoins. They update their exploit kits accordingly and a brand new "zero day" exploit is launched on unsuspecting users of Flash.

Since you want to continue using Flash Player, you need to make sure it is set to automatically install updates when a new version is available. You can find this option in your Windows Control Panel, under the Flash applet, on the "Updates" tab.

Additionally, install the NoScript add-on for Firefox. You will have to allow scripting for sites you trust if you want Flash content to run. Plus, take my advice and change your daily use account from Computer Administrator to Limited User. I have instructions for doing this on my blog and on my technical article about computer user privileges.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 7:25 pm    

Another question from an ignoramus:

Isn't Flash the default player for YouTube videos?

If so, what's the workaround for those (like most Forumites) who regularly want to view YouTube videos?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 10:02 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Another question from an ignoramus:

Isn't Flash the default player for YouTube videos?

If so, what's the workaround for those (like most Forumites) who regularly want to view YouTube videos?

It "was" the default player until a couple of years ago. That's when the W3C approved the HTML 5.0 recommendations for use in major browsers and in website coding. HTML 5 has controls to include/embed not only videos, but also controls to form a player, with sliders and buttons. HTML 5 is now the official default format for YouTube uploads. Existing Flash videos are being converted into HTML 5 format.

Due to the ease with which white, black and gray hat hackers are able to discover zero day vulnerabilities in Flash, it is slowly and quietly having its funeral planned by Adobe. There will come a day when enough is enough and Adobe will stop supporting the technology. Anybody who continues to use Flash after that date will be on their own to avoid having their computers taken over through a Flash exploit.

Interestingly, once Adobe stops supporting Flash, there can't be any more zero day exploits. You don't classify a new exploit as zero day if the maker refuses to update or patch the flaws. Coincidentally, Apple is about to go through the same thing when it pulls all support for Quicktime for Windows (already announced).

When Flash is no longer supported and patched, the only relatively safe way to use it is offline. This means you will have to download videos and games to your PC, then unplug it from your router and watch dangerous content. Even if a dangerous script was downloaded, it can't reach out to the mothership for the other files used in the exploit.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 5:22 am    

Checking on HTML5, I see that online there are many sites to download HTML5 (different versions?), as well as a one called "Flash HTML5". There are free versions, and even some pay versions ($39.95) as well. What site do you recommend for downloading, or how can I pick a safe site to make sure I'm not downloading something that's bogus?

Is there any way to tell if an "update required" popup isn't just some hacker trying to gain access?

I've downloaded some stuff (drivers) fron CNET before, thinking it to be safe, but received spam up the wazoo after I did it, so I'm even leery about that site.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 11:30 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I see that online there are many sites to download HTML5...What site do you recommend for downloading

The downloadable stuff's probably just for developers, etc. Shouldn't be anything we (as consumers) need to download. Most browsers are compatible with HTML5 now, is my understanding. I'd stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Is there any way to tell if an "update required" popup isn't just some hacker trying to gain access?

If I was running legitimate, licensed commercial software, and I saw that, I WOULD be suspicious, since updates are usually "offered", not mandated. Additionally, if you decide to proceed with an update, it's prudent to check the URL of the download site to make sure your browser hasn't been re-directed somewhere you don't want to be.

Quote:
I've downloaded some stuff (drivers) fron CNET before, thinking it to be safe, but received spam up the wazoo after I did it

Downloads from 3rd party sites (CNET, Softonics, etc) leave one vulnerable to all manner of undesirable consequences beyond spam - e.g., viruses, malware, nasty browser "toolbars" etc, that often install in the background. I never go anywhere besides the original source (hardware/software vendor, etc) if I need something.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 3:26 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Checking on HTML5, I see that online there are many sites to download HTML5 (different versions?), as well as a one called "Flash HTML5".

HTMK 5 rendering is built into the web browsers that support it and not built into or usable in old browsers that do not understand the codes. If you use current versions of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, you have HTML 5 support. If you browse the 'Net with Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8 (typical for XP), you do not, unless the website you are viewing adds what's called an "HTML 5 Shim." In fact, IE 9 only supported some HTML 5 elements.

You are using an out-dated, unsupported operating system, with very exploitable software. You cannot remain safe online with this equipment unless you lock down the system. That includes stopping the use of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express (which uses the IE rendering engine). MS Office programs are more exploitable on XP than on newer operating systems. Please review my list of things to do to lock down your computer.

Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 6:25 pm    

I've been doing most of my browsing the past few years using Android tablets running versions 4.2 and 4.4. I save my PC for more serious tasks, usually off-line (I am running Windows 7 right now although my preference is the 64 bit Enterprise version of XP.)

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 11:44 am    

Just wanted to share a little tip on the whole Windows XP issue. Most dont know this, but Windows XP is still being ran in critical systems across the united states. It is called Windows XP embedded. It is run in ATM machines and other Point of Sale equipment. That version is pretty much identical to the version of XP you are running at home. There is a registry entry you can use to cause all updates to this Point of Sale version of windows to be applied to your home computer. Use Google to search continue Windows Xp updates to see how to do it. I know this works because I have done it at home. These updates will continue through 2019.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 2:22 pm    

Jason Putnam wrote:
Just wanted to share a little tip on the whole Windows XP issue. Most dont know this, but Windows XP is still being ran in critical systems across the united states. It is called Windows XP embedded. It is run in ATM machines and other Point of Sale equipment. That version is pretty much identical to the version of XP you are running at home. There is a registry entry you can use to cause all updates to this Point of Sale version of windows to be applied to your home computer. Use Google to search continue Windows Xp updates to see how to do it. I know this works because I have done it at home. These updates will continue through 2019.

Do this at your own risk. ATM updates are geared towards a particular type of hardware that is not the same as that used in desktop and laptop PCs.

As for the desktop XP Pro systems in use by the US Government and military, they pay Microsoft huge fees to be provided with pertinent, custom tailored updates for these systems.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 3:10 pm    

Well, XP is pretty outdated, and I don't see any reason to keep running outdated software. Actually, I feel like I'm getting left behind still running Windows 7, but I don't see a choice when Win10 won't run my software, which is current generation.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 8:12 am    

Dave,
The reason I still run XP is because I have software on my computer that I don't think will run on the newer versions of Windows.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 3:56 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
The reason I still run XP is because I have software on my computer that I don't think will run on the newer versions of Windows.

I know, Erv, and it's a true conundrum. On one hand, we hold on to legacy OSes to be able to run our software. OTOH, we lose security support from Microsoft, and we also see 3rd-party driver support drying up.

I'm with you; I've tried three times to "update" to Win10, and my flight sim software has taken it in the chin all three times. So I'm back to Windows 7, but, in the end, I realize I'll have to update the OS at some point.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 4:52 pm    

Some people keep a separate computer to run legacy programs and use brand new systems to browse the Internet, do banking, email and play games. If you must have an XP computer to run a simulator, and cannot afford to update the program to a modern version that runs on Windows 10, follow best security practices: keep that sim computer offline. Just unplug the network cable, or pull the wireless card. Problem solved.

The only way that computer can be infected is via a Stuxnet type USB drive exploit. You can avoid that by not plugging in any thumb drives, or any other media that's not proven to be virus free. This is called airgapping a computer.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2016 10:28 am    

If you still have ( even OEM ) media to install XP, you may be able to install VirtualBox or VMWare and run XP as a virtual machine.

For Win7, there is VMLite XP mode, which may not require install media.

No clue if this is effective in isolating online exploits ( see also "VM Escape" ). But you can figure it as having no network capability and run stuff that doesn't run in Win7,8,10 - unless there's a special hardware driver. And at least VirtualBox advertises being able to support USB and PCI. USB works; I dunno about PCI.

You can also find various Linux distributions to install as VM. Using those to browse may be some safer than browsing on the host.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2016 11:04 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
If you must have an XP computer to run a simulator, and cannot afford to update the program to a modern version that runs on Windows 10, follow best security practices: keep that sim computer offline. Just unplug the network cable, or pull the wireless card. Problem solved.

I suppose I'm guilty of thread-creep. I'm not using XP - my computers are both running Windows 7.

I do always appreciate your advice.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2016 3:38 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:

I suppose I'm guilty of thread-creep. I'm not using XP - my computers are both running Windows 7.

I think Dave just coined a new to me phrase: Thread-Creep

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2016 3:55 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
I think Dave just coined a new to me phrase: Thread-Creep

Yeah, I'll try harder to pay attention to topics, but my thought when I posted was that we Windows 7 hold-outs will eventually face the same dilemmas XP users in this thread have. The timetable is different, but all the same questions remain. Confused