The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP- Merle Haggard
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2016 5:42 am    

A huge loss to the world of country music. The outpouring of sadness and the palpable sense of loss speaks more than mere words can at a time like this.

Sadly, many of us are coming to a stage in our lives where there are more funerals than weddings. The effluxion of time is both cruel and impartial.

RIP Merle Haggard. You leave an imperishable legacy and you have a place in so many hearts that no-one else could ever occupy. Thanks for being you. Godspeed.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Francis Chamberlain

Franklin, KY, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2016 11:08 am     Merle Haggard

Merle was the best. I am glad that I have a good collection of his long play albums and CD's.
Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Jimmy Youngblood

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2016 12:04 pm    

Had the honor working for a band that opened for Hag in Reno Nv ... fun gig ... RIP Hag

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2016 8:51 pm    

I prolly played more Haggard songs in country bar gigs than songs by any other single artist. When I first started out I even played songs that I didn't even know at the time were obscure or very early Haggard tunes. Seems like if you removed all the Haggard tunes from the average country bands' repertoire you wouldn't be left with much. I played with lots of pickers here in California who played with Merle at one time or another - at least a dozen - but never had the opportunity to meet or pick with the man myself. He was a country singer/songwriter/picker all right but he was a lot bigger,deeper and more colorful than just that. He was more like an artist such as Bob Dylan or Woody Guthrie who transcended several overlapping eras and genres of music like folk,blues and other americana and I loved it all. Always will. The heaviest of the heavyweights in my book.RIP

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2016 6:47 am    

Nothing left to say but "GREAT SHOW HAG"

Tom Franke

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2016 2:38 pm    

One of the best ever. His musical legacy certainly lives on. He grew musically but never left country behind.

Tom Middleton

Austin, Texas, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2016 5:39 am    

I am saddened by Merle's death and also saddened that the Strangers will probably not be playing out much any more. I imagine that Saturday's funeral was emotional for them more thatn others as they had to say goodbye to each other after so many years together.

Here ia a great interview done with Merle and Norm Hamlett at the Country Music Hall of Fame last year or the year before:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Sa6CzHpiE

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 10:25 am    

April 6,2008 at the Fender Museum in Corona, California I set up the time for my late dear friend Eddy Drake to visit with Merle and it was a very nice visit before Eddy died. Here we are 8 years later on the same day. RIP my dear late friend Mr.Merle Haggard and thanks for the many Memories you have given me.RIP both of you. The WELFARE Bum song Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr. Crying or Very sad

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 2:19 pm    

Wonder what the possibilities are that Freddie Powers might keep the strangers together and touring? I understand Freddie played a significant part in Haggard's shows?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 3:10 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Wonder what the possibilities are that Freddie Powers might keep the strangers together and touring? I understand Freddie played a significant part in Haggard's shows?

Don't think that's gonna happen. The keyword is "played."

Freddy Powers has been battling Parkinson's Disease since being diagnosed with the affliction in 2004.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 12:20 pm    

ahhh yes,,I remember now Freddy was having some health issues!

Tom Middleton

Austin, Texas, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 6:43 am    

Yes, Freddie is in pretty bad shape. He has been living just outside of Austn for the past few years under home care. It is truly sad that he coiuld not attend Merle's service.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2016 1:12 pm    

It's been a little over three weeks now, and I am posting now mainly because I don't want to see this thread die yet. How different would country music have been if Merle Ronald Haggard had never had the opportunity to write, sing, and record? I'm 41 years old (I'll just pause for a second and let you finish singing that line; you know you need to) and have been playing since I was about 6 or 7. If it hadn't been for Merle (and Ray Price), I don't what songs I would have ever played.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 7:30 am    

I know for a fact he kept me working pretty close to 40 years..His music did that is.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2016 6:57 pm    

Ben Haggard Will carry on with the Strangers in Honor of his Father Mr.Merle Haggard and Marty & Nole will add in once in a while while Scott Haggard hangs on like Billy Mize did with Merle as Norm still is and maybe Frank Mull can still keep them working..... Great Job in Honor of our old dear friend Merle Haggard With Toby Keith & Scott E on ACCA.... RIP Merle and thanks for the Memories you have given me. Crying or Very sad

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 5:15 pm    

Leo,

How much of the band will stay on, and formost, is Norm Hamlett participating?. It may be too early to tell, but it's interesting

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 6:18 pm    

Graig Stock, Norm holds that answer. Norm Hamlett is the Strangers. He's on this Steel Guitar forum and you can ask him that? or maybe Frank Mull would have that answer also from Nashville,Tenn. It's a shame,but, Politics plays a big part of Bennie Career from here on out. Merle & Fuzzy was the Business of this organization in partnership with Norm.... RIP Merle ole pal and you will live on. The " WELFARE BUM " Book BMI song from my History in Bakersfield,California too! Whoa! Winking