Author Topic:  guitar that requires the lightest pedal pressure
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2016 9:31 pm    

Thank you Roy Carroll. Very Happy

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 2:42 am    

You can try helper springs, particular my on strings that only raise.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 5:25 am    

I have a 700 Series Williams S-10. I find the pedal action as well as knee levers to be very stiff (seems to take more effort) that is the first thing I've noticed. I can only compare it to a Mullen RP & Carter that I previously owned which seemed to take less effort.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 5:53 am    

Just to repeat what has already been said, most any modern guitar can be adjusted to play lighter/stiffer, to some degree.
For what it's worth, the Fessenden fits into this category but on the other hand, I would not call it an especially light-touch guitar. I have felt remarkably light pedal feel (a friend's JCH).
I've done lots of adjustments on my Fess and I'm pretty sure I could never get that sort of 'power steering' feel on it.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 6:14 am    

Jim, please check your PM... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 7:51 am    

I had a couple of Williams guitars. I had Bill move the the connection point on the pedals closer to the pivot shaft. I liked it a lot better.

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 11:26 am    

I have done a good bit more research and talking to folks and at this point it looks like my best bet is a Justice guitar. I am going to give it a little time. Don't like to rush into things but unless something comes along to change my mind I will most likely order a Justice. Thanks for all the help.

Jim
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 6:57 pm    

Easiest pedal action I have ever played is my Mullen HWP D-10, and my old Zum D-10. MSAs are very easy, too. Jack is correct; the Zum is almost TOO easy.

Hardest pedal action was any of my Emmons guitars, especially the 80s PP. Only Herman Munster could play the steel break to "Country Boy".

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 8:35 pm     easiest pedal steel

One option may be to drop your tuning to a D9 using lighter gauge strings.That would reduce the pedal effort considerably. It would be interesting to do a comparison of .011 strings and see which raises to an A with the least effort.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 11:17 pm    

the best pedal action I ever had was the Stage One. I can't get any way near it with my MSA legend,which cost three times as much...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 7:06 am    

One time at a steel show I happened to get next to a Franklin and I was amazed at the light pedal action on that guitar.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 9:52 am    

chris ivey wrote:
jim, rather than going on anyone's recommendation,
i would make a point of playing whatever you can to find one with light enough action.
i wouldn't want to just trust someone else's opinion under your circumstances.

I can't believe I find myself agreeing with chris twice in the same week, Shocked but he makes a lot of sense here.

In my experience, both my Zum and Mullens were excellent in the action department. Never seen one that was too easy to pedal.

At Lexington one year, Sonny Morgan, Franklin player came over and tried my Mullen pedal. I bragged on the ease and he invited me to step on a pedal or 2 on his Franklin. I thought they were very close, but on his particular guitar, I believe it was just a tad easier, which is contrary to Franklin player Jack's experience, so I guess it varies by guitar.

Don't discount Mr. Willie's expertise and experience in this area either.

Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 10:55 am    

THANK'S MR OVERSTREET FOR YOUR REMARK ON MY BEHALF,IT'S NICE FOR US OLDER FOLKS TO GET A LITTLE RESPECK ONCE IN AWHILE.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 4:44 pm    

I'd have to say....after 30 years of playing, and numerous guitars.....that my Justice D10 Judge plays as easy and as well as any I've ever had. The knee levers are without a doubt, as comfortable and well placed as any I've played. The verticals are also lined up flat side to your knee, which very few steel builders do, and it is the best I've played.
Larry T

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 9:36 pm    

I have found a player who lives 45 minutes from where I live who has a 2 year old Justice SD10. I am going to play it next week. then I will know for sure if it will work for me. The one I am playing now is the lightest I have ever played. of course I haven't played a lot of them.. I am playing a SD10 Simmons guitar which has a pull release action. The tone is pretty good and the pedal and knee action are super light. In the end I may just stay with what I have or have Bob Simmons build me a D10. Sometimes you have to just go with what works regardless if it is the best available. I want to try the Justice and a Mullen at least before I make a final decision.
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 3:13 pm    

I have been playing a Miller Custom that Bob Simmons set up. It is pull-release, 8-4, D-10 and it is the softest pedal/knee I have ever played. I play in socks or moccasins and it is just feather light, especially for a 50 year old guitar!

Justice, or Bob...can't go wrong. Don't be worried about the pull-release changer unless you need a really tricked out copedant.

My $.02
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 3:42 pm    

Rick, even if you want a tricked out copedent, pull-release ain't bad. Just add more collars and bellcranks on thethe same rods...

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 4:29 pm    

True, Lane. I guess I meant splits and compensators. The Miller I have is 3 and 3 on the E9 and 5 and 2 on the C6. So far, I'm really surprised at the ease of tuning and the stability. Well, and the tone. I wanted a tone in the range of a Permanent, without the cost. I'm well pleased. And, it plays easier than my Sho~Bud or any of the 4 Carters I've owned.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 4:59 pm    

Leverage between the pedal, Pedal rod lever, Length of Bell Crank lever length to pivot point, The length of the pull finger from axel in the changer to pull rod hole. All these levers say how much pressure it will take to accomplish full travel to tune the string. Check the length of the Pedal Rod Lever. If you lengthen this out of view lever you can gain a lot of leverage just by changing it 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer. I measured the pedal rod lever on my GFI Ultra, 1 1/16" center to center of the pivot points. With 1/4" lengthening of the Pedal Rod Lever you would gain app. 20% on leverage in the lever train. Theoretically app. 20% less pressure on the pedals. Since the pedal stop is before the Pedal Rod pivot pedal action would be the same height and very little more travel. Only thing this would change would be the pedal rods would be 1/4" out of plum. Just a mechanics thought on an easy fix on some guitars for easier pedal action.

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 5:55 pm    

Rick Abbott wrote:
I have been playing a Miller Custom that Bob Simmons set up. It is pull-release, 8-4, D-10 and it is the softest pedal/knee I have ever played. I play in socks or moccasins and it is just feather light, especially for a 50 year old guitar!

Justice, or Bob...can't go wrong. Don't be worried about the pull-release changer unless you need a really tricked out copedant.

My $.02

Thanks Rick

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 5:25 am    

Out of all of the guitars I have ever played the GFI had the lightest touch with MSA being a close second. That said Ive played some stiff MSA its all the way you set em up, plus its a trade off. Lighter pedal=longer throws. Stiffer pedal= shorter throws. I like a happy medium. Im not fond of a pedal being a light as air to push

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 8:27 am    

It all depends on how many pulls you have on each pedal/lever, the more pulls, the stiffer the action.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 4:43 pm     Easy Pedal

My Sho Bud Pro I and Pro III were super easy PSGs Playing a Mullen Discovery now. Mike Matley sent me a return spring bracket and springs for it. Pedals as easy as my Buds. I have Sciatic nerve issue in my left leg. Old age!!!

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 8:22 pm    

Mullen G2.
Pedal action is lighter than the Williams 12 I own. That is not a quality issue, it is just the Mullens are super easy.
J

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 10:08 pm    

An Old Sho-bud Pro 111 I played tonight has the lightest pedal pressure I've ever felt on any guitar. I wouldn't have thought it but it did. This is it here, don't know the year but guessing early 70's.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.