The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  attaching a Fender vol/tone pedal to the pedal bar?
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 1:45 am    

I'd like to attach my Fender vol/tone pedal to my bar but unlike other volume pedals, it doesn't have screws where the feet are which, I guess, is how they usually attach to the bracket.

Has anyone else done something like this and if so, how?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 5:14 am    

I'd make sure that electrickery bits weren't in a vulnerable place, then just drill and tap the two relevant holes in the pedal.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 6:25 am    

I don't have a pedal in front of me at the moment, but if I recall correctly, the housing of the Fender pedal is made from stamped sheet aluminum and wouldn't have to be tapped. Rather, simply drilled and have the bracket held in place with short bolts and nuts.

The bottom cover plate is held on with small self-tapping screws, is it not?

Since I'm 1000 miles from my Fender pedal at the moment, I could be totally off-base. Not that being so is anything unusual for the SGF

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 6:51 am    

The rubber feet are just jammed into holes in the bottom of the pedal and can be pulled off. A bracket that is attached to the pedal rack (or draped/hung over it) with a flat part with two short spikes or pins pointing up that go into the pedal holes could work. No drilling or other defacing to the pedal or the pedal rack necessary.

Just thinking out loud.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 6:58 am    

Great idea Jon.....like nylon or plastic automotive panel fasteners, commonly known in the business as "christmas or x-mas trees." Available in various assortments at most auto parts stores.

Search online for examples.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 7:03 am    

I'm remembering (and looking right at) the conical rubber pins that hold the kidney POD in its bracket. They would be oversize for the holes in the Fender pedal but if you could find the right size it would also address the issue of metal parts scratching the chrome of the bottom of the pedal as you tried to line it up.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 7:13 am    

You're going to have to drill a couple of holes, probably one on the pedal board and one in the pedal, so let someone that's comfortable with tools do that part. Buy an "L" bracket, about 4" x 4", and 1" wide. Fasten that bracket to the pedal board, and then fasten the bracket to the pedal. It's personal choice as to which "fastening" should be permanent, and which (or both) should be temporary.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 7:22 am    

Thanks for your replies so far. I was hoping someone would have an ingenious solution that didn't involve drilling the pedal as it's an original 60s one in really good condition.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 7:33 am    

You did not read my idea?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 7:37 am    

I still would like to find out who made my volume pedal bracket. I bought it from Tony Prior, but he said he can't recall who made it.
It grips the inside of the pedal bar

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 7:48 am    

These are what I'm referencing: If you use an attachment like a Goodrich bracket that drapes over the pedal bar per Jon's post, and use these fasteners to attach the bracket to the pedal, you don't need to drill anything if, as Jon states, the feet just pull out of the bottom. These just push in and you can pull them back out if you ever decide to reverse the procedure. clickhere

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 8:09 am    

Is the original identical to the reissue (which I have). The pedal outputs are on the left which makes (imho) cable routing awkward.

h

-edit- Disregard. Thanks Herb!!

Last edited by Howard Parker on 3 Apr 2016 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 8:15 am    

The original in/out jacks are on the right side, Howard.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 8:21 am    

Herb is correct.

Jerry and I are visualizing this slightly differently (or maybe I'm mistaken) in that the pins in my idea wold be attached to the bracket, pointing upward. The bracket is the same generic idea as the Goodrich brackets--it drapes over the pedal bar. The pins will line up with the holes in the pedal; where the rubber feet were pulled from.

edit--re-reading Jerry's last post, I think we are seeing it the same. The only issue is that the holes in the pedal are pretty small--maybe 1/4".

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 8:36 am    

Yes. That's what I mean Jon. Those x-mas tree fasteners come in different diameters and lengths or perhaps the pod pins you reference will work. Your idea for this use seems ideal and is completely reversible.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 8:50 am    

Well, if you didn't want to drill the pedal, you could just stick a bracket like Jon pictured (above) on the bottom of the pedal with double-sided foam tape. Easily removable and easily replaced, when necessary

Confused

Last edited by Donny Hinson on 3 Apr 2016 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 8:51 am    

Pull the 2 rubber feet out of their holes and there is no drilling.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 9:40 am    

Jon Light wrote:
You did not read my idea?

Actually. At the time I posted, your reply wasn't visible to me for some strange reason. Maybe I didn't refresh my screen or something.

Its a great idea though - I thought those rubber feet were just stuck on and didn't realise they were pushed into holes in the metal case.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 12:28 pm    

Something like the Goodrich bracket looks like it might work but I can't find anywhere that specifies how far apart the holes are.

Or this one - it says pretty much any brand of pedal would work, suggesting that the screw spacing is standard.

The spacing on my Fender pedal is 3.25" - Is that the same as a Goodrich for example?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 12:46 pm    

Hmmm. In my conception, the bracket would be made from scratch and the holes would be bored to the Fender specs. The Goodrich pedal holes measure 2 5/16" on center and looking at pictures, I'm not at all certain that the Goodrich bracket will be wide enough to accommodate the Fender's spread.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 1:02 pm    

The Goodrich brand of bracket was my bad. Yeah too narrow for the punches to line up......sorry.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 1:12 pm    

I've got both pedals right here but it never entered my mind that they were so different (or that the Goodrich bracket was not more universal).

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 1:46 pm    

I just dug out my old Sho~Bud volume pedal and it's the same as the Fender.

How much variation is there between brands?

This bracket apparently works with "about any brand" so which is most common- "Goodrich spacing" or "Sho~Bud spacing" or something else?

http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/pedal_bracket.php

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 1:50 pm    

Would be fairly easy to fashion an adapter for a Goodrich unit, but it still might not clear the rounded front profile of the Fender. Wonder what users of the big Sho-Bud vp's used for brackets when they wanted a pedal bar mount?

Edited after seeing your post: That Bradshaw bracket looks just like the Goodrich, so I don't think it would work.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 1:53 pm    

Jeff--it appears to me from pictures that the bracket is adjustable to different sized pedal bars, not to different sized pedals.

......and my edit, after seeing the Bradshaw animation, is yes--it adjusts for height and for pedal bar width but the holes for the pedal feet look fixed.

Last edited by Jon Light on 3 Apr 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total