The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What would you do if you couldn't play anymore?
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 11:06 am    

chris ivey wrote:
in reality, i'd probably just sit around and complain.
that's pretty much all i do anyway.

A truthful man for sure. Smile

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 6:47 pm    

I have no idea, because the steel guitar is such an amazing instrument.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 10:30 pm    

I'm seeing a doc in a couple weeks. Thumb and index finger problems.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2016 12:26 pm    

I have a few other hobbies, which, I enjoy immensely, but, not as much as I do playing steel. If I couldn't play anymore, I guess I could fall back on them after all the depression drugs wore off. Seriously, I would be depressed for a long time and would probably wind up in some sought of therapy to even things out.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2016 12:40 pm     Re: What would you do if you couldn't play anymore?

Brint Hannay wrote:

Not that it's relevant to your topic, but I don't think Danny Gatton's suicide was because he could no longer play. There's a CD of a concert he played at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA on Sept. 9, 1994, 25 days before his death, and nothing on it suggests that there was anything wrong with his hands.

I read or heard somewhere that he had been diagnosed with some sort of degenerative disease like ALS
(Lou Gehrig's disease,) or Parkinson's, and while he hadn't lost the use of his hands yet, he eventually would.

I have no way of knowing whether or not this is true. Nut if it is, it would explain why he was so distraught.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2016 8:32 am    

My whole life is playing music and riding motorcycles, so if I couldn't do one, I probably couldn't do the other, either. But because of those avocations, I have lots and lots of really stellar friends that I'm sure would help me 'fill the void'. I hope I could still play poker and fish!

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 10:45 am    

My inner person has been so interlaced with pedal steel since I was 14 that I really do not know what I might do. All I've wanted to do since the day I knew what a pedal steel was was to try and be able to make "that sound"

I'm not devoid of other interests... my family of course; recording, synthesizers and electronic music, computers and programming.
But nothing besides my family means as much to me as playing pedal steel guitar.

Poor pitiful me.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 11:11 am     What if

In 1995 after playing guitar and trombone for 35 years for a living I cut my left middle finger off taking a blade off my dozer...My friend Stu Schulman got me playing dobro and then pedal steel...best accident recovery plan in my life!!...There's always something musical out there!! Larry Very Happy

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 1:39 pm    

No more steel guitar? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 3:52 pm    

I'm 67 and reflexes/speed has slowed. Plus, live Country music has dried up in my area. I haven't played in a band in 5 years. So, I sit and play in my living room and do occasional studio tracks when needed. I guess I would put together highlights of my past playing (various bands) onto a disc for family archives and fade off into the sunset. However, I have many sideline hobbies and interests. I've covered a lot of ground in 67 years.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 8:10 pm    

Couldn't play anything? At that point, I'm probably on a morphine drip waitin' to die - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnLfkiliSZM

Otherwise, I'm playing something - steel, guitar, bass, drums, keys, banjo, or whatever, come hell or high water.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 8:19 pm     Yeah right

Weep piteously in great wracking sobs for humanity's profound loss.

And go skiing. (Snow--don't speak to me of water-skiing, thanks Kamp Kanakuk). I'd be a lot more upset at not being able to ski, even though it would appear that the hourglass sand grains of Life work on a different timetable.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 8:59 pm    

I'd just dig in deeper into jazz guitar (and probably have a lot more gigs...)

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 2:10 am    

I have asked other steel players a similiar question. Which would be worse, taking our steel guitars or our drivers license? Both would be terrible. Whatever I would do, I would find something that is not as heavy for sure.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 11:57 am    

I'd do what I'm doing now!

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2016 5:03 am    

return to my previous employment as a gigolo Laughing

Larry Waisner

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2016 6:25 pm    

Mike the reality is we will all experience that sad decision sooner or later, hope its later for most.
I was in a very bad auto accident and have had several surgeries from that. As a result I have three types of arthritis from all the surgery invasions.
I was diagnosed two years ago with extreme neuropathy as a result form the massive arthritis in my body. It takes away the feeling and leaves painful stinging and burning in your feet and hands IE; what you use to play a psg.
I want to also say to Brett Day you are an icon and highly admired with your condition. But not only that Brett your positive attitude shines thru my friend. GOD Bless All on The Forum.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2016 11:38 pm    

I have more or less given up gigging because of back problems and now left shoulder and arm problem which is giving me quite a bit of pain and discomfort.Every time I did gig it took me about three days to recover, still do occasional recording work, but I am now wondering if even that is worth it.Absolutely love steel, but can see the day coming when I will sell off gear, no use having it if I can't use it.I do have other interests but now retired can't really afford my other passion of flying. Will always be interested in seeing and listening to other players and will always encourage any new players.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 4:07 pm    

Mike, what a great question. I'm not sure I have an answer for that yet, but will think on it. Off the top of my head, I have a feeling I'd dive into something totally different like woodworking or something creative in a very different way. At times I feel I've kind of been close to reaching the end of my musical road. Yeah, some days are better than others and I'm not saying I'm ready to quit, but there are holes in my life that music can't fill.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 6:38 pm    

I would take up the banjo and play it with no lessons, as badly as possible at every jam I can find.
Kind of like suicide by cop only with a banjo

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 5:07 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I can't imagine being so incapacitated that I wouldn't be able to play something.

If the fingers or ears quit working, that pretty much precludes playing just about anything musical. Confused