The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have a guitar, amp, volume pedal & tone bar...what else?
Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2016 2:05 pm    

Carl Heatley wrote:
Is there anyone giving lessons on SKYPE?...Just a thought!

Thought about that as well, and yes, there are guys who do that. I think I'll use it as a last resort. There is a well-known guy thats sort of in the area, but he's about a 45-60 minute drive, but really, let's face it, if I'm serious about learning how to play this crazy contraception the drive is worth it, right?

Neal Goodloe

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2016 4:17 pm    

I am learning as well, and in the interest of domestic harmony, I am using a Vox headphone amp plugged into the output on the volume pedal.

What she doesn't hear can't hurt her!

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2016 7:06 pm    

Hey Scott
Welcome to the lifetime school!
Leave all the effects alone until down the road, 'cept maybe a touch of reverb. Ya wanna learn clean! That way you can LISTEN to what you're really puttin' down!
Have fun.
Pat

Last edited by Pat Moore on 28 Mar 2016 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2016 7:42 am    

I live in Portland, OR, and would fly to Dallas to study with Maurice Anderson - approximately 8 hours of lessons....

It's a hard instrument, and a 45 minute drive isn't that big a deal

Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2016 4:58 pm    

The Winnie Winston & Bill Keith book arrived today that was suggested in this thread, and I was able to track the guitar on UPS. I should have a 73lb package arriving a week from today!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2016 5:03 pm    

Back in 1983 I had the Winston/Keith book well in advance of receiving my first steel. Time spent with the book prepared me to hit the ground running when the steel arrived. Just having a clue as to the common string grips and the use of the AB pedals to get from I>IV, V>I meant that I could get some sweet and familiar sounds right from the get go.

Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2016 5:05 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Back in 1983 I had the Winston/Keith book well in advance of receiving my first steel. Time spent with the book prepared me to hit the ground running when the steel arrived. Just having a clue as to the common string grips and the use of the AB pedals to get from I>IV, V>I meant that I could get some sweet and familiar sounds right from the get go.

Heck, I need a book just to tell me how to put the thing together once it arrives! When I was young I always wanted to be a drummer but joked that I never took it up because I wasn't coordinated enough to use all four limbs at the same time. Now I have to learn how to use all four limbs AND my knees?!

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2016 7:16 pm    

You just bought a very nice steel guitar. It will be more than you will ever need. By any chance, is it that good looking red one? Hope it is, because it is a killer!!! Good luck, you just joined the group. Ronnie

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2016 9:15 pm    

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the madness. It's a "nice little hobby."

Carl Heatley wrote:
You may want to try a drum throne with a lockable seat top
Good suggestion. You don't want the seat to rotate. "Un-tight butts will drive you nuts."

Drum thrones are inexpensive, and height adjustable. How high? Where the top of your thighs are parallel to the floor is a good starting height. Adjust the rear legs of your steel for about 1" clearance above your legs.

Dan

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2016 11:10 am     Have a guitar amp and tone bar what else.

Since you are getting a volume pedal with the steel, Great. If it is a pot and string set up. I would suggest you order a new 500 K pot and put it on a shelf where it is handy. And find some string you can use to replace the string if needed. A pot can go dead or scratchy in just minutes when ITS time comes. If you are confident to do small things mechanically, A set of Allen wrenches are something you will need. Welcome and Good Luck.