The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can I undo Windows 10?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 8:22 pm    

Well, I finally knuckled under and accepted the "upgrade" to Windows 10 (I had 8.1). Now my desktop is gone--the wallpaper photo (which I'm attached to--thank God I saved the photo to a flash drive) and all the icons on the desktop, which almost filled the screen. When I click on Desktop it now says "This folder is empty." Likewise Downloads and Documents. Everything I had saved in the computer. Apps I had now don't show on the Apps list. Thanks for nothing, Microsoft! Mad Mad Mad

Please, please tell me that there's a way to undo this terrible mistake. My needs for the computer are simple. I use a desktop computer. I do not, and will not, fool with "social media", "games", Skype, etc.; E-mail and Google are all I'll ever need. I despise touchscreen technology. I'm in my sixties and never really wanted to get involved with computers at all. Whatever whistles and bells Windows 10 offers mean nothing to me (I hated leaving XP), and I want my stuff back!

Can I use System Restore, or some such, to recover what I've lost, or is there no way to go home again? Sad

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 8:50 pm    

As far as I know, you can switch back to 7 within 30 days of your upgrade to 10.

I have no idea how, but it's presumably from some menu within Windows 10. I don't use 10. I've seen a number of posts on computer forums saying this is possible.

No doubt you can find instructions on the Internet if someone doesn't come along here and tell you how.

I don't think System Restore is what you need. It's some other function under some other title. Fish around in your menus and programs.

If it's been longer than 30 days, I think you'd have to do a clean install of Windows 7 from a valid Windows 7 installation disc or restore an image of your previous Windows 7 installation (which you most likely do not have).

If you get back to 7 one way or another, you will have to stay on your toes to avoid getting Windows 10 again, as Microsoft is becoming more and more insistent that you can't live without it.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 9:15 pm    

Brint:

Look here:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4097-windows-10-go-back-previous-windows.html

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-from-windows-10

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-how-to-roll-back/

http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/b22/roll-back-from-windows-10-after-30-days.php

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 6:10 am    

I have 2 computers that were 8.1. I didn't let Microsoft
update them. I cloned both hard drives, and downloaded
Win 10 to a 32GB jump drive as recommended. Then put the
jump drive in, started the computer and followed all the
instructions. When it was finished, I had all my programs
and did not loose anything at all. Long process but easy. Surprised

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 7:08 am    

To extricate myself from the same situation, I simply used the image I made of my C drive before I upgraded. 20 minutes later, Macrium Reflect had me back to where I was before I upgraded.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 8:23 am    

Thanks, Mitch. I did the recovery and all seems well.