The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Switching from 7 to 10 and back question
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 8:46 am    

Sometime on startup there is a window that asks which to chose.Will there be a problem switching back and forth, or can it be done.

thanks..Bill

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 11:03 am     Re: Switching from 7 to 10 and back question

Bill Ford wrote:
Sometime on startup there is a window that asks which to chose.Will there be a problem switching back and forth, or can it be done.

Only "sometimes"?

If you have both installed and activated, I'd expect to ALWAYS have a choice.

Do you in fact have both installed right now?

Or are you referring to being asked if you want to upgrade from 7 to 10?

If you do have 10 installed now, did you pay for it or is it a "free upgrade" from 7 to 10?

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 11:35 am    

Mitch,
I upgraded from 7 with the free upgrade. I installed 10, then decided I didn't like it,went back to 7 then heard that support was going to end for 7, reinstalled 10, and that's where I am now. My computer is taking longer to shut down and think I sometime kill the power strip before it is completely shut down, maybe that's when it happens.

I've been thinking about installing 7 on another drive for the programs that 10 does not have, DVD maker for one that I used a lot for putting home movies,etc on DVDs.

Thanks..Bill

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 1:01 pm    

comments in bold

Bill Ford wrote:
Mitch,
I upgraded from 7 with the free upgrade. I installed 10, then decided I didn't like it,went back to 7 then heard that support was going to end for 7, reinstalled 10, and that's where I am now.

Win 7 will be supported until Jan 2020. But Microsoft is going to do what it can to aggravate you into moving to 10----by constantly offering you 10 upgrades and fiddling with the 7 update process.

My computer is taking longer to shut down and think I sometime kill the power strip before it is completely shut down, maybe that's when it happens.

What happens if you choose 7 when given the choice?

You are now on 10. Did you do a "clean install" of 10 or just "upgrade" from 7 without doing a clean install?

Generally speaking--if it's an intermittent problem and you'd prefer 10 to 7, I'd do a clean install of 10 and then evaluate that.

I've been thinking about installing 7 on another drive for the programs that 10 does not have, DVD maker for one that I used a lot for putting home movies,etc on DVDs.

Do you mean using 7 on one drive and the "free upgrade" from that same 7 to 10 on the other?? As far as I know, that's a problem. You can have one or the other activated, but NOT both---unless you PAY for 10.

If you paid for 7 only, then you have exactly one license. You can use that license for 7 or you can use it to get the free upgrade to 10--but you can't run both--UNLESS you outright buy 10 for 100 bucks or whatever.

MS made a decision to offer the free upgrade to induce people to give up on 7 sooner rather than later. You have to decide if "free" means that much to you.

You can avoid the confusion by either staying with 7 or buying 10 outright. I've decided I will stay with 7 for the foreseeable future and possibly buy 10 outright in 2018 or 2019. If I don't move to Linux.

The free upgrade offer ends at the end of July, but it's anybody's guess what will happen the next day. MS may decide to extend the free offer. It's all still up in the air.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 3:44 pm    

I sometime kill the power strip before it is completely shut down, maybe that's when it happens.

I think that's the issue,I'll just get used to 10 and live with it, I have a box of parts, may just do a scrap tower to do my CDs, and DVDs, I have a legal Vista disc I can use, want worry about updates,it will do what I need without updates.

Thanks much..Bill

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 9:45 pm    

Bill Ford wrote:
I have a legal Vista disc I can use, want worry about updates,it will do what I need without updates.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with using Vista or even an older operating system if it does what you need and you keep it offline where you don't have to worry about security or updates of any type.

You could eventually run into a problem with that tactic if your current hardware breaks down and you are forced into new hardware that your current software doesn't like.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 6:55 am    

Bill;
If your PC has a CPU that is more than one year old, you can roll back to Windows 7 and have security patch support until the summer of 2018. After that, it's game over for most Windows 7 computers. The previously announced 2020 expiration date is basically out the window (no pun). MS has reneged on continuing to support anything older than Windows 10. If your computer has a 6th generation Intel Skylark CPU, support for Windows 7 ends this summer.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 11:52 am    

Here's some more detailed info on Skylake support, apparently updated as of today:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/skylake-support-on-windows-7-and-8-1-given-a-one-year-extension/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsitpro/archive/2016/03/18/updates-to-support-policy-for-skylake-devices-running-windows-7-and-windows-8-1.aspx

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 2:13 pm    

I misspelled Skylake as Skylark in my previous reply. My bad.

I hadn't heard about the backtracking on support from MS. It doesn't surprise me at all. Everything these days has gone reactionary. It seems that over the last few years, Microsoft is being run by a bunch of spoiled brats lacking real direction.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 3:38 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:

I hadn't heard about the backtracking on support from MS. It doesn't surprise me at all. Everything these days has gone reactionary. It seems that over the last few years, Microsoft is being run by a bunch of spoiled brats lacking real direction.

Everything is, sorta makes me glad I'm not going to be around to see if they can get themselves out of the mess they are making.

BTW, I have an AMD A-series, A10-5800K guad processor, Asus ,A88X-plus mainboard, 8gb Vulcan memory, runs pretty good, had it running for a little over a year now.

Thanks to you and all the guys here for the help..Bill

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 6:28 pm    

Bill Ford wrote:

BTW, I have an AMD A-series, A10-5800K guad processor, Asus ,A88X-plus mainboard, 8gb Vulcan memory, runs pretty good, had it running for a little over a year now.

Thanks to you and all the guys here for the help..Bill

Bill, I fixed your quote of my post.

I built my own PC. It has a second generation Intel Core i3 processor and 4 gigs of matched Crucial RAM. Theoretically, I could reinstall Windows 7 and continue to receive support from Microsoft, until somebody there decides it is going to end on such and such a date. In fact, I have a saved Acronis image of the W7 C drive and boot sector just before I upgraded to Windows 10. That image was made in November, 2015. If I used it to roll back, I'd have to reinstall so many programs and updates that nothing else would get done for a week or longer.

If anybody is contemplating doing a restoration of an image that is over a month old, first export all of your personal documents and settings, including invoices and receipts (including license keys) for upgrades and new purchases, all email sent and received, photos, music, and especially, your downloads. After you restore an image, everything on the PC will be a page from history. Many programs will be outdated, including virus definitions and your browsers and plug-ins (e.g., Adobe Flash, Silverlight, Quicktime, Adobe Reader DC, Adobe Air, Oracle Java, etc).

After you have restored the old image, begin importing all these items into their original locations. Run updates on every program as you open it. Update every plug-in and browser extension. Re-license programs that you had to renew. Take a vacation when all of this is done.

Personally, I have decided to stick with Windows 10, even though every time there is a major update to it, I lose the use of the XAML left-click Start Menu and right side notifications pop-up window. When this happens, it's time to log out of userland and into adminland, to run elevated Powershell and command window scripts, to regain these menus.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 9:34 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
Personally, I have decided to stick with Windows 10, even though every time there is a major update to it, I lose the use of the XAML left-click Start Menu and right side notifications pop-up window. When this happens, it's time to log out of userland and into adminland, to run elevated Powershell and command window scripts, to regain these menus.

It still amazes me that, even after nearly a year on users' PCs, including beta pre-releases, Win10 is still half-baked, and MS still can't make it work reliably. MS seems not to be what it used to be.

I've been a loyal MS customer since the DOS days, which, for "Millennials", means before Windows. But I'm not so sure MS is the way of the future anymore - less so with each passing day, as MS continues pressing its campaign against its customer base. Customer loyalty has its limits. With me, the limits haven't been reached yet, but they're working on it. And when the limit is reached, it's time to go.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 20 Mar 2016 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 10:03 am    

Dave;
You may be heading in the right direction thinking about getting a Mac. Their hardware and a lot of their software is made in-house. There aren't as many glitches and incompatibilities, unless you try running newer programs on older models. Then, it's just about game over.

I have Ubuntu Light on a spare computer and it is pretty much useless to me. I play with it from time to time, but can't run most of my Windows productivity programs on it. Sure, Linux has alternatives, but I've paid big money to acquire and update many Windows only programs. The most failures to run are from programs that rely upon Windows Registry locations to operate properly. Linux is not Windows and vice-versa.

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 20 Mar 2016 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 11:13 am    

Wiz - Thanks for the info - it confirms my suppositions re: Linux.

As you can see, I edited my lengthy earlier post - I thought it would be too long to interest most people. You're probably one of the few willing to read it all.

I've done some reading, and BootCamp looks like the best route for running high-demand Windows apps on a Mac, although there are several other options available.

But I didn't find anything on the potential for malware exposure with Windows apps running on a Mac using BootCamp. Many Windows apps depend on internet connectivity for updates, etc. Given that MS updates to MSE would be gone forever, would just using some other anti-virus app keep the Windows system protected? Seems to me it would, but this isn't the place to guess.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 1:38 pm    

Dave, you are caught between what was and what is to be. Microsoft is trying to compete with Android devices that are the rage. In their haste to look more modern, they've polarized we the people who like things the way they were. Most of us here were perfectly happy running Windows XP computers.

When Windows 7 was released it basically resembled XP. Thus, it was a fairly easy decision to upgrade to 7 to be able to get continuing support and security patches from MS. Windows 8 was not as popular though. The foremost reasons were the Metro/modern UI (read: bleak, dreary, un-remarkable), total rearrangement of the way things were laid out, and the lack of a Start Button to open the Start Menu. The Start Menu has been part of windows since Windows 3.0! To remove it and expect the sheeple to roll over and say baa was stupid at best.

So, to placate angry Windows XP and 7 users, Windows 10 brought back the Start Button/Orb to launch the Start Menu. Great. Except, for many users like me, it breaks every time they push a big update to us. I cannot remember ever losing the use of the Start Button with any previous version of Windows, unless the GUI itself crashed (Explorer.exe).