The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar App On "i Pad"
Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 4:08 pm    

This year for my birthday one of my daughters gave me an [I PAD] and one of the Aps available was STEEL GUITAR and another was PEDAL STEEL GUITAR, how cool is that!, and you might say "that is old news" well I found it very interesting. I have yet to do much with it. the Pedal comes with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. The Lap Steel gives you the option of tuning it to your favorite set up. If you have this App. How do your use it. I haven't got the hang on using the Bar, it is a little cumbersome, but the old saying goes" Practice, Practice, Practice. It might be helpful in figuring out licks, or understanding a new tuning. If you have this on your I Pad or Computer. Do you find it useful or just a novelty?

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 5:23 pm    

i have the steel guitar app on my ipad, but not the pedal steel.
i find it fun to play. right now it is something to noodle on in the car when my wife is shopping or i'm too lazy to hook up an amp and guitar. i think it, and i, will get much better. i've run it thru my audio interface and it sounds pretty good. i've not paid for any of the add-on amps or effects.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 6:57 pm    

The Steel guitar App, cost $.99, and the Pedal Steel was $1.99. Can't get a beginner PSG for much less. I'll have to get it out and do as you say, Noodle with it. I think my daughter got it thru the [I Tunes Store] App. Appreciate you feed back.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 5:14 am     Non Pedal Steel apps on iPad

Check out Pamela Piburn's Apple apps for C6 Lap Steel Guitar - iPad and iPhone versions<Click<

Here is our Chord Locator app in a FREE Web Page Version

Major Chords C6
Minor Chords C6

Hope these help folks.
YouTube Channel

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 5:28 am    

DL'ed Pedal Steel app (x2) and could get no sound out of app. Lap Steel app worked ok.
Arrgh. Ah well. Guess I'll just play my weissenborn.
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 7:35 am    

Are these only available for Apple or for Windows too?

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 6:43 am    

Jim, all I can tell you is that the "I Pad" is an Apple product. My daughter found the Steel Guitar feature in their App Store. But if I remember correctly I was searching Google and discovered a web sight, that said you could put the Steel Guitar on your "I Pad" & "I Phone" or Smart Phone. So she put it on my I Pad. There was one for the Pedal Steel so she put than one on also.

Looking back at your question I don't know about Windows. Windows in an Operating System that replaced DOS. I don't think Apple is an Operating system. I think Windows makes an Operating system for Apple products. Jim I'm really out of my environment on this.

Hope that Helps.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 11:26 am    

Is it possible to play a real steel guitar through the iPad with an interface like apogee jam and use the sounds they have on these apps ?
Or am I dreaming ?

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 1:08 pm    

John Sluszny wrote:
Is it possible to play a real steel guitar through the iPad with an interface like apogee jam and use the sounds they have on these apps ?
Or am I dreaming ?

here is the link to the apogee jam. it shows a les paul thru it so should have no problem with any type of guitar.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam

play music!

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 1:17 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Are these only available for Apple or for Windows too?

jim: it appears that it is only for iphone/ipad.

play music!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 5:04 pm    

Thank you Mike Butler,but I meant:the sounds they have on the apps mentioned by Wayne D Clark.In other words,instead of playing with my fingers on the iPad screen I want to play with a real pedal steel guitar with the help of my Apogee Jam and get the very same sounds they're offering.Clear enough ?
Sorry,but thanks for your prompt reply anyway !

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 3:11 am    

John - I've had success using GuitarJack2, an interface product by Sonoma Wire Works (http://www.sonomawireworks.com), which has now been "improved". The interface, which plugs into the iPad, has inputs for guitar cord and a mini audio jack, if you want to input from a computer (but that's not necessary). The only output is for a headphone.

My iPad is running IOS 9, which allows you to run two applications at the same time. For guitar sound, I use Fender Amplitube, which allows you to replicate some of your favorite Fender amps. At the same time, I'm able to open Amazing Slow Downer, which allows me to put my practice tracks into that app and play along, almost the same way I do at home.

I first did this last month while on vacation. It was remarkable how satisfying the experience was. In fact, I have to go on a business trip next week, and I'm taking a guitar. Now there's no reason to lose five days of practice.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2016 8:30 am    

I found the pedal steel app very hard to use, and dumped it. The volume control was part of the bar. Every time I would move the bar, the volume would change. And it was almost impossible to play songs. You have your left hand using the bar, right hand trying to pick strings and hit the spots where the pedals and levers are. You might say, "hey, we do a lot of those things at the same time on our guitars". Granted, that's true, but we have more body parts, and real, physical parts on the guitar. I needed to gain more space on my iPad, and that was the first app to go. I'd like to see someone actually make the app play like a real PSG. And yes, I do realize that this only an entertainment app, and not meant to be anything else. I just didn't like it.