The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  R.I.P. Eddie Cunningham
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 7:37 am    

I had not heard that Eddie Cunningham had passed away on Feb. 29, and was laid to rest on March 10th. I am heart broken to hear the sad news. We have lost our local ambassador to steel guitar.

Charles Rodrigues

Tiverton, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 8:48 am    

So sorry to hear the bad news about Eddie Cunningham. May he rest in peace. He will surely be missed. Thank you for posting Manny. I know how close you were to Eddie. Our condolences to Eddie's family.

Chuck and Marcia

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 10:09 am    

So sad to hear this. I didn't know Eddie well, but he seemed like a very friendly man who loved the steel guitar. A few years ago he sent me two boxes full of Hawaiian song books, sheet music, etc. I learned a lot from those books! Thank you, Eddie... rest in peace.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 14 Mar 2016 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 10:10 am    

Very sorry about Eddie. My condolences to his family and friends. He was a lot of fun here on the forum.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 11:38 am    

My condolences to Eddie's friends and family. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 1:14 pm    

My sympathies to Eddie's family and friends..May he rest peacefully...

Rose Sinclair

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 7:14 pm    

I visited Eddie at his house near Plymouth, MA once and we spent the day playing steels and listening to old 78s. He had rigged up his version of a "talking steel," which he hilariously demonstrated for me, and also had a cool tuning switcher gizmo on his non-pedal steel, with which he could wrangle 3 different tunings on one neck. He loved Hawaiian tunes and said that he used to tour with a Polynesian music and dance revue back in the day.
Here's a photo from the 2010 Rhode Island Steel Guitar Show (RISGA):

My condolences to the family of this humorous, gentle man. He will be missed.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 8:21 pm    

That tuning changer device on Eddie's Rick D-8 was an old Multi-Harp Triplex. It was similar to the Stringtone changer, but larger with more adjustments on it. I took a closeup picture of it at one of the RISGA shows, but I can't find the picture anymore. Eddie had the unit on the front neck of his Rick.

Eddie will be missed. He was a legend in the Boston country music scene and was voted "steel guitarist of the year" as well as other awards over the years. My condolences to the family.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 5:00 am    

Great pics. It's always so good to put a face to a name.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 5:40 am    

I got to meet Eddie at Bill Hankeys last Bash in Pittsfield about4-5 years ago. What a nice person he was.RIP Eddie.

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 8:46 am    

Thank you, Eddie, for your music and friendship.

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 12:46 pm     Eddie C

I met Eddie the first time I met you Manny, at the Webster, Ma. American Legion some years ago. It was great to sit and talk pedal/non-pedal steel with you guys and I remember how nice Eddie was. It's hard to lose a long time friend. RIP Eddie ......

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 5:41 am    

Rest in peace Eddie.

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 6:30 pm    

Eddie was the first in-the-flesh steel player I ever met, back when I was 16 or 17. As Rose’s above post indicates, his knack for “gizmo” creativity was ingenious. That first day we met, he was playing a standup Fender, straight double-eight necks that he’d converted to a pedal steel that he operated with toilet chains!

Often crossing paths over ensuing years (during which I'd often be amazed to discover some new home-made Cunningham contraption, like his talking-steel rig and other gadgetry mentioned by Rose), we finally got to play together in the early 1980s, in the Chisholm Brothers’ band, back before I took up steel myself. But in the years between then, we both had played with superb local vocalist, Jerry Devine – only at separate intervals. When Jerry himself was in grave health, he still clung to his love for singing; so Eddie and I would bring our gear down once a week to back up our wheelchair-bound friend in his living room. Now I dearly wish we had recorded those parlor sessions.

I’m very saddened at Eddie’s loss. He was one of a kind. Requiescat in pace, old friend.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2016 6:26 am    

Anna and I met Eddie when we first started the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association.When Anna and I move out of State and then moved back we Started the New England steel Guitar Association in which they are both still running today. Eddie brought it up at one of RISGA meetings to make Anna and I honorary members and Marcia E Mailed me and told me about it and said she would let me know at the meeting coming up. A few days later She E mailed me and said it pass . I have Eddie to thank for that and when I Started the NESGA I had the band that Eddie played in about every third Steel Guitar Show at NESGA. Eddie and I were very good friends and I pray that God takes good care of Eddie Cunningham for us all that loved him and his great talent.Rest in Peace my good friend.This is very sad news and we will all miss Eddie.
Sam & Anna White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2016 5:24 pm    

So sorry to hear of Eddie's passing. RIP

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 6:53 pm     Rest in peace; My friend, Eddie Cunningham

Sad

When I still resided in Northern New York ; joined the SGF; Eddie Cunningham was the first steel guitarist whom sent me an E Mail; wecoming me to the Forum. We remained friends here on the SGF for at least 15 or twenty years; When He discovered I was An admirer of Littlee Roy Wiggins style of picking behind all Eddy Arnold's recordings; He put together a collection of Eddy's records & songs for me to enjoy. I will never forget hs kindess and compassion for his steel guitar buddies;; Every one whom loved Eddy; wil have many memories to remember; REST IN PEACE< my friend. You will get to play with all the fine musicians, that loved you when they were here.. God Bless Eddy's family & relatives..

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 11:11 am    

I just checked into this section and saw the news. Eddie loved David Keli'i and after seeing some of my comments on a thread, was kind enough to send me a couple of homemade cassettes of Keli'i taken from various sources which I still listen to. He was one of those kinds of people--offering nice things out of the blue to people he didn't know just to share his love for music. I miss his knowledge and good humor.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 10:14 am    

He was a great presence here on the forum. There have been many here who have passed on who , like Eddie, left a strong positive impression even though we've only met electronically.

RIP, Eddie ..... Steinar, Ronnie, Adrial, and so many more. Sad

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 2:12 pm     Eddie C.

Hi folks, I haven't been able to be around here as much as before. I've got to say Eddie Cunningham was without a doubt my "steel mentor". We'ed been friends for many years, had our first pedal guitars built by Charlie Holbrook. Eddie taught and showed me many things on the "steel" and "dobro". He was a great player and improviser. He and Rita were great folks to be with always. Guess we all have a few times when our health held us back. I miss him and our get together's and jams, as well as our phone conversations. I wish my health had been a bit better at the time. I know this is a bit late. Eddie was one of the best steel guitar and dobro players I've ever known, going back to the '50's for me, long before for others. Rest in Peace Eddie, sorry for being so late. Jay Y.