Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 1:18 pm    

If you're going to do a lot of polishing, this is really what you need:

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 2:08 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
If you're going to do a lot of polishing, this is really what you need:

Erv is right. This is what I use also but I also restore old motorcycles in my spare time so you have to have this kind of buffing equipment.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 2:13 pm     Restoration

If you have any scratches in the aluminum, you want need to wet sand with 600 grit sand paper. Also, get you some Mothers or Semi Chrome polish for the final polish or you may want to clear coat. The bad thing about clear coat is it will eventually turn yellow on you. I prefer to just leave bare and ocassionally polish.

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2016 4:50 pm    

Thank y'all for the tips. Slow going but getting back to it this week.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 4:35 pm    

Harbor Freight stores sell buffers for less than 40 bucks. These stores are all over the place now, but you can also order from them online.
PRR

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 7:51 am    

I'm not knocking Harbor Freight but there is a HUGE difference between their buffers and one from Eastwood. Whoa!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 9:28 pm    

Clint has buffers Razz

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 7:17 am    

Moving along, I've stared at the stained cabinet these last couple of months. I think I'm good with it and the color/natural finish. I'm going to clean it up and finish all this painful polishing. Man getting rid of the "engine turning" on this aluminum is time consuming,
More pictures to follow. Looks like I'll have parts enough to put 9 pedals and 7 knees on it, may look to add another knee. Anyway, thanks for all the questions and advice. Should have some assembly pictures coming soon.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 11:33 am     Rus Ler rebuild

Hello Daymon
First off best new years wishes your way. I know what you mean about the swirls. I looked at mine for a long time and finnally left them. Ive got a few machinist and car restore freinds and it was always about split on leaving them or not. Cant wait to see the finish. Like I said..you need any undercarriage pics let me know...mine has never been fooled with. Thx Daymon

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 12:48 pm    

Looking forward to seeing this thing together. The wood you revealed under the paint and your varnish work is gorgeous!

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 2:08 pm    

Thank you Karl, I wish I had an update. Life, Gradkids, business/work, and all the good stuff have kept me away from the rebuild. Hoping I'll get some time here soon to get it all back together. Thanks for the interest and all the wisdom.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 7:07 pm    

Ill never understand why anyone would paint over beautiful wood like that , your guitar is looking just fantastic with all that beautiful wood , looking forward to seeing it finished .

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 6:47 am    

I know. I know, I know. It's been years. But.... I'm pulling all the parts out of the boxes and gathering up all the pieces. I'm going to re-sand and re-spray the clear on the body and get this old horse put back together. Who know, I may get a wild hair and change the colors up a bit. I still like the natural finish but maybe a transparent black over the middle part of the front apron and the necks. Everyone knows that black guitars sound better. Shocked Very Happy