The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Update on Session 115
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 6:05 am    

On the way to Dallas, with Hartley's consent, I stopped and picked up the new Session 115 PROTOTYPE, the only one in existence.

Took it straight to my room in Dallas and fired her up.

Took a little adjusting to find my "sweet" spot, probably because I have been so used to the 12" speaker.

After close examination, I feel that the circuitry needed a little more tweaking.

The onboard digital effects are adding more flexibility to the new amp, but I felt that they also need some tweaking.

The amp has plenty of power and the Neo/Black Widow has the Peavey sound that I love.

So, with the approval of Mike Brown, I have decided not to play this amp on stage.

It, along with other new products, is set up in the Peavey room for inspection and testing.

Mike Brown and Steve Smith are there to answer your questions and listen to feedback about the new amp.

We talked to one of the engineers at Peavey yesterday and they are looking forward to feedback from the steel community.

This amp is scheduled to begin production in April and they want it right before proceeding.

Kudos to Peavey for the introduction of this new amp. I am looking forward to the final product.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 9:57 am    

Based on my prior experience with Peavey, I would be confident they will get it right.. Smile

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 11:54 am    

Price, is it still a secret?
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 12:07 pm    

Preliminary List price on the Session 115 is $1799.
I don't know about the extension speaker yet.

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 12:18 pm    

Thanks Bill, out of my price range, if it was available in UK by time tax and import charges were added it would be about a third dearer than US., guess I will have to look elsewhere.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 8:55 pm    

I never thought I'd see the day that Peavey became a boutique amp.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 11:29 pm    

Bill

Did the amp every work in the Peavey Room? I was up there 11:00 AM on Friday with some friends and we were told there were problems with it. We never did get to hear it after many visits to the Peavey room.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 11:30 pm    

That's a lot of money for an amp that the guy who brought it to the show refused to play on his set. I've heard Bill play and I always thought he sounded good. His statements of dissatisfaction with this new amp will likely put a damper on the immediate success. But, you got to start somewhere and I'm sure other players will demo the amp at the Peavey display at the show. Hopefully, their feedback will lead Peavy in the right direction to tweak out the amp to make it another Peavey heavy hitter like the 112 and 400 have been. Like others here, the price stated is out of the range I'd pay for an amp. I can't imagine it being enough of an improvement over the 112 or 400 to make me want to change. Maybe the price will come down after it goes into production.

RC

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2016 12:32 am    

Rick,

You and I must be nightowls. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In defense of Bill not wanting to use the amp his performance is that he and Peavey felt that it may not be stable. As I said before, it appeared to be not working in the Peavey room on Friday.

I remember years ago when Johnny Cox endorsed Jackson steels. The day he was due to play, there was a problem with the guitar and he wound up using a Sho Bud for his performance. A major glitch during a performance is unsettling at least. Jackson sold lots of their guitars and I am sure Peavey will work out the bugs and produce a solid product similar to the other steel amps that they have produced.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2016 6:00 am    

Bill,Thanks so much for your honesty...I was getting all excited about the new peavey session amp.Now I'll just keep looking. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2016 7:04 am    

Mark T,

Yeah we're night owls. Very Happy Smile Smile but me not as much as I used to be as I get older.. On weekend gig night I tend to have to stay up to unwind.

I don't think any defense for Bill is needed. He had to be comfortable with his equipment for his set. Lord knows, this steel guitar thing is tough enough when everything is working right. Maybe a little woodshedding before the rollout would have been beneficial, but hind sight is 20/20. I'm sure Peavey will get it right. I always been a Peavey guy... No speaker or amp mods. I've been very happy with my Peavey equipment just as they built it. I use the dinasour Profex II in my gig rack, have one in my studio rack, one for a spare, and gave another spare to my buddy Jeff Campbell and he loves it.

RC

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 8:19 am    

This is really hard to believe. Wonder who is on the new design team? I heard reports that "several" of the name players on the Show refused to use the new Peavey amp because of the sound. Also heard people complaining about the bulky size. I have heard nothing good. Peavey used to have almost total control of the steel guitar amplifier market. Makes people wonder what has happened inside Peavey.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 8:50 am    

Git it working and knock off about $800 off that there price and you might sell a few. I stand by my commitment to buy one when the community says it sounds good. Very Happy

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 9:50 am    

Just remember, this is a prototype. Yes I was hoping to be the one and only person to use this amp on the show.
I was able to dial in a good tone, but a problem popped up in the digital section.
The engineers are listening to us and are going to make sure it is dead on before production begins, even if it causes a delay.

So let's not bash the company that has stood behind the steel guitar community for over 40 years.

The new "prototype" was never to be available for general use on the stage. It was there for demonstration in the Peavey room.

I just want to think Hartley Peavey for putting his confidence in me to take the amp to the show.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 10:14 am    

I was able to get to the show for the last hour, coming in from our last run. I didn't get to hear it As Mike was packing things up. For one I'd like to see it the same size as the Nashville 400..,

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 11:02 am    

Why do we need a new one anyway? The 112 and 400 seem to do very well.

RC

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 12:17 pm    

Remind me, what year did they quit making anything with 400 in the name?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 12:31 pm    

Remember that MSRP is usually WELL over any dealer's out the door cash price. In constant dollars, it's gonna be cheaper than my Session 500 bought new

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 12:40 pm    

If that is a $1800 list then out the door price at Sweetwater will be $1440. List X 80%

Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 12:46 pm    

If my Webb amp didn't weigh sooo much (even with an EPS 15 in it) I don't think I'd even be watching this thread...I think all of us older guys and gals would like a nice powerful reasonably priced amp, but at $1799 IM OUT!

Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 12:46 pm    

If my Webb amp didn't weigh sooo much (even with an EPS 15 in it) I don't think I'd even be watching this thread...I think all of us older guys and gals would like a nice powerful reasonably priced amp, but at $1799 IM OUT!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 1:24 pm    

i bet peavey wishes that one hadn't gone to the show.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 1:28 pm    

No, exactly the opposite.

they wanted feedback on the design and features BEFORE going into production.

Peavey listens to our opinions, positive or negative.

Peavey has our best interest in mind and they have proven that for over 40 years

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 2:30 pm    

Peavey wants feedback--so take notes Mike Brown. I talk to a lot of people, and here is what people tell me they want. They want a powerful, "light weight" amp that is not bulky. Controls that are simple and easy to understand. Keep it simple! Adding addtional features is dangerous, because people have to like the feature that is added, in addition to liking the amp. Plus additional features adds cost. There are a million different delays on the market, and million different distortion effects on the market. The world of amplifcation and the world of effect units are "two" different worlds---don't try to combine to different worlds. Again keep it simple! Feedback is only good if people asking for it will listen. I know for a fact a lot of people are searching for a new amplifier, and not finding what they want, at a price they can afford.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 4:52 pm    

I like it simple too. It's gonna be hard to beat the old 400's and 500's, Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,