The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  emmons or day set up ?
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 11:51 am    

I use the Emmons setup mainly because it's what I used when I first started playing and it's the setup I'm used to. I love that there's a Day setup for two reasons, because of Jimmy Day-I didn't know Jimmy, but I heard a lot about him after I started playing steel and because my last name is Day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 12:02 pm    

well guys , call me a damned fool but i think i'm going to give the Day setup a try

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 12:07 pm    

The only problem I've found so far with Day setup is that it is impossible to do that cool thing Buddy Emmons did of holding down the A&B pedals and bringing his right foot over to tap the C pedal.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 12:08 pm     Day or Emmons

When I stated out in 1973... a steeler named Tommy Atkins went with me to buy a Sho~Bud D-10. He then took it home & brought it over a couple days later with the so-called Jimmy Day copedent.

The C pedal is first, the B pedal is second & the A Pedal is third. When you rock off the A pedal, you can easily engage the LKL lever or vice verso, if you rock off the B pedal or are just depressing the A pedal, you can engage the LKR lever.

It's like falling off a log.

Disclaimer... most all of the Tablature is written for the Emmons way.. I DIDN"T CARE, I bought some pens & re-did all the Tab I had.

David Jackson told me that Jimmy Day & Bud Issacs came up with that configuration. When they showed Buddy, he went the other way, he didn't want to play like Jimmy Day.

NOTE:.. one thing that cinched the situation for me is.. my ankle rocks easily to the left (outside) , but more difficult to the inside (right)

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 12:19 pm    

Played Day for 11 years. Been playing Emmons setup full-time for 7. No difference in playability whatsoever for me...it's just whatever you get used to, assuming a normal range of motion.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 12:20 pm     Re: Day or Emmons

Charley Bond wrote:

Disclaimer... most all of the Tablature is written for the Emmons way.. I DIDN"T CARE, I bought some pens & re-did all the Tab I had

Really?

Could you give me an example of TAB written for the Emmons way?

Everything I've seen refers to the A pedal or the E lower or whatever which applies to either setup.

I've never seen tab that tells you to press the leftmost or rightmost pedal.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 12:36 pm     Re: Day or Emmons

Charley Bond wrote:

David Jackson told me that Jimmy Day & Bud Issacs came up with that configuration. When they showed Buddy, he went the other way, he didn't want to play like Jimmy Day.

That's not what Buddy or Jimmy said.

Apparently, they discussed the A and B pedals over the phone but not in which order they should be and they happened to set them up the opposite way from each other.

It wasn't a deliberate decision for Buddy to set up differently from Jimmy.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 1:04 pm     Day or Emmons

Mr Jeff Mead... all I Know is what I wrote. David Jackson was there, I wasn't, call David to check if you like.

The tablature I've seen shows the A on the left & the B on the right, which is directly opposite of the CBA setup... but if you don't see any difference, that's great.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 1:16 pm     Re: Day or Emmons

Charley Bond wrote:

The tablature I've seen shows the A on the left & the B on the right, which is directly opposite of the CBA setup... but if you don't see any difference, that's great.

That was the reason for my question (not opinion) - I honestly have never seen any tab that specifies left and right for A and B - all the tab I've seen just says A and B.

I really would be interested to see some of the tab you are referring to.

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 1:32 pm    

tabs are not a problem for me as i rarely use them
by the way ,
i'm also going to be teaching my wife on the new guitar so there will soon be two more Day players

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 2:22 pm    

Brett Day wrote:
I use the Emmons setup mainly because it's what I used when I first started playing and it's the setup I'm used to. I love that there's a Day setup for two reasons, because of Jimmy Day-I didn't know Jimmy, but I heard a lot about him after I started playing steel and because my last name is Day.

Brett, you do play the Day setup, The Brett Day setup, lol.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 2:56 pm    

I have been playing pedal steel since 1966, though I didn't start to get "serious" until 1968. I started with Day on Fender guitars, but my first Sho~Bud was Emmons and I never looked back; I just learned what I had.

There's no inherent advantage to either, unless you have physiological problems with your ankles. Paul Franklin plays Emmons setup, Tommy White plays Day. Does one have an advantage over the other? Your call.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?