The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Evans has passed on
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 8:24 pm    

This is very sad news. Jim was a great guy and a fantastic steel player...pedal and non pedal. In fact, he enjoyed playing a set each year in the Non-Pedal room at the TSGA. I enjoyed chatting with him before and after the show. My condolences go out to his family and loved ones. Crying or Very sad

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 9:30 pm    

Just a few facts about Jim. Jim and I have been playing together on Opry shows and in other local bands for almost 40 years with usually me on fiddle. He loved playing harmony parts and we got real tight at some of the songs we did. Jim was 84 and has had some Heath problems along but he was very much on top of his game. At one time, Jim didn't have to take a back seat to anyone. We made 3 trips to Nashville with Jim and got to play on Earnest Tubb midnight jamboree, one of the high lights of my life.
Jim had connections with almost everyone in Nashville and we also got to set on a Hee Haw set while they were filming which was also a high light for me.
At one time, I was a decent hoedown fiddler and I remember one night some were requested to play Sally Goodin. We took out at rather fast tempo and Jim hollered to give him a ride. He never missed a lick and I was in such awe of doing that on steel guitar. It was awesome to say the least. I always kidded Jim about his guitar and amp. There is a picture of him at E.T. Record shop in the early 70's and he was still playing when he passed the same guitar and same amp. He was a faithful Emmons push pull player all the way.
Jim never met a stranger and everything he did was at a 100 miles an hour. He got a lot accomplished in a day always. Jim didn't beat around the bush about anything. I remember on night in the 80's, I played guitar on the Opry show by nessacity and after show Jim said that I did really good but he thought I should have been a better guitar player as good as I was on fiddle. Lol new always just took Jim at his word.
Tonight was first night we played our little Friday night Opry with out Jim and sure missed him. I played steel tonight but Jim had a certain drive that just floated us along. He is certainly going to be missed. Rest in peace my friend.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Travis Partain

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2016 6:58 am    

I just wanted to say that I lost a good friend when Jim passed away. We were friends a long time and I never knew of Jim speaking of anyone in a negative manner. Jim's family is great and I know that they can find peace with his final step in life because of the legacy he left. Travis

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 7:32 pm    

I first Jim through a friend of mine in Shreveport who helped me buy my pedal(Sho-Bud Crossover) from Jerry Fox, who was a partner in the Evans amp beginnings.

I went to Texarkana for the opening of his store in 1970. I played my new Sho-Bud at the store and tried one of his big tube amps. WOW, I sounded like the big guys!

I did not the money to buy it, but Jim told me to take it to Houston (where I was living), play it and show it to some steel players there. I did and eventually "Shotgun" Boley, who was playing at the Breezeway Club close to me took it.

Jim was great guy who became a friend when you first met him.

Thanx,
Jim