The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early Cut-Tail PP Emmons differences?
Robert Daniels

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 7:51 pm    

Hello all,

I am curious as to opinions regarding older PP cut-tails (late 60's) vs newer. Are there many variations regarding design changes from '68 to 80's models? I am an old 6 string armpit guitar player and I have to admit my bias is usually "older is better" except for many dogs in the 70's and other eras when things can get inconsistent. I have had and still play guitars from many era's that are great, so I'm not trying to be elitist. It just seems that many experienced players just say "Sounds like a a push-pull" regarding many eras of these guitars. Looking for feedback from all, but especially those who love the old ones and why you do from a players prospective.

Thanks!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 5:22 am    

I've owned a '67, and still own a '69 and a '72. I'll bow to the experts on the various changes over those years, but the one thing the older cut-tail guitars have that I like is a slightly wider pedal spacing. My klutzy feet just work better on the '69 (and did also on the '67) than they do on the '72. I'm not sure dimension-wise how much wider the spacing is, or what year it changed for that matter. But I notice it when I switch to the '72.

FWIW, the '67 was a cutback guitar, the '69 and '72 are both fatbacks.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 8:59 am    

Robert, don't quote me on this but I think I've heard or read that there were slight differences in the geometry of the later push pulls to make them play easier. Different lengths in bell cranks and maybe the changer. Just read this somewhere, don't remember where.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 4:37 pm    

I have owned one, and seen a second, late 1967 cut tails (106x D and 108xD) that were built on wraparound cabinets -- cabinets that are the lightest built of the push pull cabinets. Other 1967 Cut Tails are going to have lighter cabinets than later push pulls anyway -- maple stop bars, slimmer overlap down the center, but still be what the standard cabinet width became post-Wraparound.

Other than cabinet size and weight, the other major changes include pedals. The earliest Cut Tails have the fourth style Emmons pedal with the spacing that will allow nine on the apron. I think in 1972, Emmons tried the wide pedals with narrow spacing -- spacing that allowed ten pedals on the apron, Then, Emmons went to the fifth pedal style that is the narrow pedal and used the narrow spacing. Then, Emmons made shorter pedals for single necks also.

The 1967 Cut Tails used the fifth style Emmons bellcrank, which is the final version of the "fat" bellcrank. Newer bellcrank styles came in the 70s.

Both of the Cut Tails made on Wraparound cabinets I mentioned above had 1964 100k pots, but I have even seen one of those on a 1969 Cut Tail.

In terms of playability, that is a hard question to answer because it certainly depends upon whomever restored the guitar. Some restoration guys who win praises on this Forum may do an okay job with most procedures, but honestly do not understand some of the more important nuances of restoring a push pull. You can hear the difference wrapping the cabinet with your knuckles. But generally, a 1974 has the potential to play easier than a 1967. But to my ears, a lighter push pull will have more tension and will sound better and that means earlier.

There are a whole lots of other little details but they are not as important as cabinet and pedal spacing.

But my favorite sounding Emmons guitars are those with 24 frets.

Robert Daniels

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2016 6:33 am    

Thanks everyone, particularly Chris for his detailed post (as usual)! I currently have a gold lacquer student model I believe is from the mid-late 60's. It has a great, chimey tone I love, but I would like more sustain and richer lows. It was tuned up by Mike Cass and plays like a dream and is not going anywhere. Sounds like an early one is what I want with lighter wound stock pickups.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2016 6:55 am    

Chris wrote:
I think in 1972, Emmons tried the wide pedals with narrow spacing --

That matches what I have on my '72.

FWIW, the '67 I owned had lighter wound PUs, around 13.5K on both necks, the '69 has around 18K on the E neck, and 14.5K on the C neck. I'm going to swap that 18k to something a little lighter and try it.

Robert Daniels

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 9:40 am    

I got to check out a '67 cut-tail and all I can say is "Wow" just what I was looking for. Pick-ups were around 15k and the guitar sounded very different from later PP's I have played. More "sparkle" which is just what I want. I am buying it. It's 8x5 and recently gone though by Dave Peterson and plays like a dream with all the sustain I could ask for - particularly up in Hugheyland. It's in original (except for the knees of course), well played condition and I am excited to say the least!

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 6:15 pm    

I have a cut tail that is two serial numbers from the Blade (68?) and I have a early 80s cut tail that is my main road guitar. The early 80s guitar has the best tone with a little extra "growl". Both have been set up by Mike Cass and play great. The early 80s is pretty much my go-to guitar out of the heard.